IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Online behavior analysed  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Online behavior analysed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Online behavior analysed
    Posted: 26 February 2007 at 12:19am
This is a very nice article about why people behave much more aggressively in online forums than in real life.

�When I speak with someone and see his eyes, it is easier for me to understand that he is someone like me, with needs,� explains Weinberg. �On the Internet, you do not truly realize that opposite you is another person with his own world. The other has become text, making it hard to imagine there is a person behind the text, and not to turn him into an object. Furthermore, we extrapolate our world onto the other, attributing to him intentions he never had.�

Houminer says that many of the surfers (nicknamed �trolls�), who flood forum discussions with provocative and aggressive messages, are actually acting out their frustration at the Internet�s inability to meet their emotional needs.

�Silence and disregard are the most common forms of harm on the Internet,� continues Houminer. �A lack of response is perceived as an active refraining from supplying a need, and results in the creation of vengeful energies. A troll�s subtexts always contain a claim of injustice by someone.�

http://www.sepiamutiny.com/sepia/archives/004197.html#more
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 12:20am

I think during face 2 face conversation, people hide their feelings, but they do mean what they say.

The reverse is true for written conversation.

Sadija View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sadija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 12:40am

Its true.

You feel more comfortable on the net then face to face.

People mostly judge you by your outer appearance. So on the net you can say what you feel without someone looking at your carrot nose or melon pimple and don't listen to what your saying.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing , you will be successfull
hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2007 at 6:22am
With the internet, the posters have all the time in the word to percieve a
slight against them, respond with an endless amount of pre-fab counter-
arguments, attack and bury the other posters with seven oceans of
rhetoric - where as, in a live conversation, the mind doesn't instantly offer
us volumes of memorized hadiths, pro (or anti) zionist propaganda,
newsclippings, etc.

I would be gobsmacked if someone talked to me face-to-face the way
they have online.   Ironically, in a live situation, I would think they were
nuts - but if they are online, I expect it.

Great post, Candid - and certainly relevant for IC!

aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2007 at 8:59am

I did not grow up with the internet. I used to meet people, get introduced and then talk. Here and now, I talk with people without ever getting introduced or meeting.

It is a different world�

Respectfully
aka2x2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic