IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Africa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - anyone in nigeria  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone in nigeria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone in nigeria
    Posted: 15 February 2007 at 4:43am

salaams

im trying to make contact with anyone in Nigeria?

lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 3:26am

AS-SALAAM ALAYKUM,

Am unfortunately resident in South Africa,but am a Nigerian.Is it just a contact with anyone in Nigeria you want or do you want to send a message across?I would try to introduce this site my some of my friends in Nigeria with the hope that they'd join(U know d way things work when it comes to the'itnernet in Nigeria,if you're a Nigerian) and you might be able to reach them.

Mas'salaam!

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 10:26pm
thanks for replying. im actually south african and have never been to nigeria. however im fascinated by the nigerian culture, at least what ive seen in tv through the movies.im keen to find out if the perceptions people have are really true cos over the last few years nigerains have been portrayed as con artists , drug lords etc, but what i see on nollywood shows me a different side.  so im just curious to find out more.
"so surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surah 94. verses 5 and 6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 9:02am

aS-SALAAM ALAYKUM SISTER Rookaiya!

Welcome back!

Don't be deceived my sister.What U see isn't what U get.Otherwise,I wldn't have left my Homecountry 4 here.That's just 'movie' 4 U.The Naira(our currency) isn't spreading out like it shld.Most of d buildings belongs to d 'high &mighty" in d society.They just allow these artists to use them for the movie purposes &nothing more.If U think South Africa's d only place with d ugly scene of 'shacks' called homes,U need to see what Nigeria looks like.No doubt,there're fine places,but d picture U see on d T.V isn't what the entire Nigeria looks like.

But I'd tell U ds,the Movie Industry's putting so much'benjamin' into d Govt's pocket.They're trying,I give them dat.But it's not our'REAL' WORLD!

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 10:36pm

Sakeena. its always good to speak to someone who has first hand experience. i was under the impression that nigeria is doing well. given the fact that its endowed with natural resources like oil. and further, i believe that education is regarded highly and many nigerians go abroad to the usa and other countries to study further and get educational qualifications.

if one looks at the way in which the movie industry has blossomed , it is really commendable. if one compares this to other african countries, e.g malawi, mozambique, ghana etc, it seems as if they are lagging behind. Africa magic on dstv shows 99% nigerian movies. u get a small percentage of movies from ghana.

even shows like big brother nigeria and now deal or no deal , nigeria, makes one wonder whats happening to the other african countries. nigeria is definately on the map and has gained alot of popularity and publicity in south africa, in recent times.

even when it comes to bussiness, it seems that nigerians are doing better in south africa, than the africans of south africa. i sometimes ask myself what is the reason behind all this

is is a cultural thing, upbringing, educational or what.

"so surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surah 94. verses 5 and 6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 7:12am

Well,you're right'bout Nigeria doin' well academically(but not economically).Natural resources(wt emphasis on oil),yes.But d people at d helm of affairs're d fortunate ones.The likes of myself 're desperate 2 leave d country 4 a 'greener pasture'.Which is why our people travel a lot.The instability of d economy amongst other anomalies in our homeland has made it such dat,only d 'educated elites' have d hope of making it tru.I hope U know South Africa tops d list of so many opportunities& rankings in Economy.Check out ds website:www.africaalmanac.org.Just in case,i dnt get d site right,use d 'search engine'.Then,U'd und'stnd what am talkin' about.

So much emphasis is laid on education& I must tell U dat our people're very studious,highly intelligent&very brilliant.So,everyone struggles 2 get formal education.But majority of d populace are living in penury.Starvation stares people in d face.Well,After South Africa,Nigeria& Ghana are not doing bad in West Africa.But we've stil got a LONG WAY TO GO.Basic amenities're stil a major problem.I cld go on&on.But d bottomline is,the fortunate ones are d ones excelling & they have a duty to their families too.We are blessed,but our leaders're not doing d right thing.People strive 2 go beyond dr 1st degrees in order to have an edge,which is why U see them travelling abroad.That's just a very minute proportion of d citizenry.Consider Urself lucky to wake up everyday& not be bothered about what to eat.Oh!did I mention dat electricity supply is a disaster?From what I heard,we are d larget importers of'Generators'.Do U even know what dat is?It is very pathetic& so many other things go wrong along with absence of electricity supply.

Nigerians are very determined& adaptive people,that's why we're scattered all over d world,striving&struggling to survive.We sure are one amazing humans,Surviving against all odds!

rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 10:54pm

wow sakeena, that was an eyeopener and a dose of reality that i wasnt expecting to here. i didnt realise that things were so bad. im doing my MBA and we did a case study on nigeria as an emerging economy. according to that case study, the naira wasnt performing too well against other currencies.one of the reasons cited for the problems in nigeria was faction fighting amongst the different tribes.

are people still divied along tribal lines and are such disputes commonplace, or was this case an exaggeration or maybe portraying a thing of the past

im thinking of doing my thesis on nigeria. the people, the economy, the bussiness sense, tribal rivlary etc.  i want to focus on the successful businesspeople. i want to find out what it is that makes them succeed. whats the driving force. whats the management style. things like marketing, advertising. the nigerian legal system etc.i also what to explore the problems u have mentioned and try and see where the country went wrong and why things are the way that they are. then i want to do a comparision with south africa and see, what both countries can learn from each other and suggest ways of more co operation etc between both countries. what do u think about this ? do u think ill be able to gather enough info? will u be able to assist me, seeing that u are from that country? i hope im not imposing on u.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 4:54am
Salaam Rookaiya.Imposing on me?C'mon.I'd be delighted to help.I've not done anything academic in a while&am so delighted you're engaging me in one.Am more of an academician and love 'paper work tremendiously,especially researches.;Even though I dnt have d tym 2 do anything intellectually challenging like I used to.Am impressed to hear you're doin Ur MBA.AM glad 2 be of help.Id send U a mail into Ur (private mail).I think it wld be better that way,hope U und'stand.I dnt want d forum 2b distracted from its main objective.U'd get answers to d questions asked&my contribution as well.Thanks for asking.&dnt 4get2Check Ur pm!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic