IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Africa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - anyone in nigeria  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone in nigeria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 2:15am
thanks a million sakeena. ive checked and replied.
"so surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surah 94. verses 5 and 6
Panther View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 5:44am
SmileI have just finished reading this forum and I am so pleased to have found it.  I am a graduate student in Islamic Studies/Christian/Muslim Relations, and I belong to a book group at our seminary.  We have just discovered Nigerian writers!!  I've ordered a book by Adiche, Things Fall Apart, and another one called Half A Yellow Sun by a woman writer.  I am wondering what percentage (about) of the Nigerian population is Muslim, Christian or some other religion.  I am always impressed about two things when I meet someone from Nigeria, the fluency in English and the beautiful teeth!!  Such teeth are from a dream, I think!  Also, the warmth and friendliness.  I would also like to find out about Nigerian music,, because I believe that knowing a nation's music helps to understand their literature.  I live in the USA, in Connecticut.  From my window I see snow, woods, and many birds and tall trees.  It is a beautiful day, alhumdulilah. 
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 12:32pm

That would be "Chinua Achebe"....renowned  writer of "Things Fall Apart"...!!!

Edited by lovesakeenah - 14 May 2014 at 7:09am
"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
Panther View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 12:48pm
TongueYes, I received the book yesterday and today have already read three chapters.  I am totally fascinated already and I want to learn about the musical instruments mentioned.  It touches my heart to read about Okonkwho's difficulty with beginning his yam farm, because my grandfather was a yam farmer in Louisiana.  During the Great Depression here after the crash of the US stock market in 1929, this was the main food for my mother and her eight siblings.  To this day I feel a certain reverence for the sweet potato, and I offer always a prayer of thanks when I begin to eat one, because this was the food that allowed my family to survive.  Also, in my Qur'an studies just now I am very interested in the subject of anger and revenge, because it is a pertinent subject in politics now.  How to operate best as humans while still achieving social justice is the biggest question  facing Muslims today, and reading about how other cultures deal with these basic human problems helps me to understand and, inshallah, arrive at new ideas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 4:25am
very interesting...all the best....!!!History's interesting in order to appreciate the present and forge ahead with the future...

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
Aisha72 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aisha72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 10:17am
Where there is life, there is hope. Years back, I was desperate to leave Nigeria for greener pastures but now I wouldn't except for vacations or professional development.
A group of people decided to open a school even though they could afford to move elsewhere. This started a ripple effect and it is going beyond what they ever envisioned. I am hopeful inshaAllah this effort will spread and whatever trials we face we shall always be victorious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 11:31pm
Masha Allah sis.Aisha.It is indeed good to know that amidst all the uprising&instability,politically and otherwise,some things still manage to work.I do tell people that being in diaspora isn't meant for everyone&it sure doesn't mean one wants to remain aloof forever.Home is home,no matter what.at least for me.May Allah continue to pave way for your project,expand it further,farther &may you be rewarded for it in this life &the Next.
Aisha72 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aisha72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 12:58pm
Amin. May Allah reward you too sister.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic