IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hi everyone! New...and I need help.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi everyone! New...and I need help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on1on5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 12:15pm

Hello Shanon,

I know that it is not easy to practice Islam even in a modern Islamic family since I have difficulties in that aspect in the family life and in my social environment. I'm trying to preserve that balance between my lifestyle and my family's expectations for about 15 years. So you are not the only one.

Age seventeen is excellent actually. You are strong enough to carry the life on your shoulders and your discoveries about life are -not fantaises as if when you were 14-but realities glittering in a clear and healthy mind. However parents are certainly perplexed about their youngster since young people are known to be prone to be affected by marginal trends. Especially if it is a religion and custom with a bad reputation about terrorism and inappropriate practices in social life -as shown regularly in media. Probably they are prejudiced about Islam-which brings poor children with bare feet on hot sand, and long bearded armed men, and frightened passivized women to mind. This is the picture drawn by media.

So what to do know?

Be patient,and accept that converting is not the end of a journey but the beginning of a new walk, trying to keep on the right way, and trying to keep the balance and control -walking just midway-

Knowing that you are not affected by any marginal group or trend will partially relax them.

Ensure your family and friends that, Islam only brings a few restrictions to your life and doesn't put you in a cage. Moral values do not differ much from Islam to other religions. Nobody supports someone who steals, gossips, lies or who is dirty...Regular prayers will be added to your daily life and I hope this change will be respected by your family.

when someone feels that he discovered the truth, he will be enthusiastic about sharing this with the others, but there is a certain time for every event to happen. It may be too early to try convincing your family and friends to believe in Islam or to read Kuran. I hope this  happens sometime, but at this early start it will be a fault to try this. They will feel as if they are blamed by you and may react against this if you mean " you will go to hell if you do this and that". So calm down, go your way and never leave your respect to your parents.

These are my advices. Hope you succeed, and find peace in your life. I will pray for you and for all who force their brains to find hidayah. Thinking is an order from Allah you know.

Salam.. 

yasmina2007 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yasmina2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 6:58pm
slamo alikom.i understand exactly whjat you are going through at the moment.im now 19 but i was roughly 17 and in highschool aswel when i converted.your parents might not take it as hard as you seem but i understand how the west feels about islam due to recent events.what your parents need to see is how true muslims are like and that we are not all terrorists.maybe ask them to go on holidays to some country like egypt or turkey and they will have a different view.i was lucky that my mother had been in turkey and tunisia several times and relaised that we are not all extremists.and if you are as close to your parents as you say you are they will not hate you or abandon you.they are only afraid that you will be brainwashed or be made covered entirely against your will and at your age they still think of you as their little girl and want to protect you but you are old enough to make your own decisions.i mean if your are catholic its not as if yo ucould speak your mind at the time of your christening about your religion.but please dont rush into islam take everything slowly and it wont shock your parents so much.start off by not eating pork ,then give up alchohol,then dress more modestly dont rush into the hijab of course i recommend wearing it but i did it by wearing it in town after the mosque on friday then i went to the mosque more and hence wore the hijab more now im engaged and in respect to my future husband i will wear it permantly when im married.by doing it slowly like this trust me your parents will understand more and try and teach them.never put down their religion everyone is entitled to their own beliefs coz this can start unwanted family feuds trust me talkin from experience.i hope what i said can help you because these methods worked for me.the only shock i have left for my parents is that im engaged to a guy from afghanistan.i can already hear the taliban jokes.insa'allah all will be well with you and your parents and may allah be with you
xShannonx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xShannonx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 12:51am

Thanks for the reply yasmina2007.

Whenever I revert, I won't plan on telling them for a few months. That way if they are shocked or want to know why i'll have a lot more information to tell them and hopefully i'll know more in the coming months than what I know now.

I def. won't rush into anything, I plan on taking each step one by one. I'm only worried about praying and that it'll take a long time for me to learn. Another thing is what do I do about praying during school. Like I said i'll take my time in learning how to pray, but i'm a Junior in High School and this time next year hopefully i'll know how. But having school and praying would be kind of difficult.

Anyways..thanks everyone.

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 4:46am

Assalaamualaikum xShannonx

Masha Allah you are young and Allah has blessed you with understanding. Our prayers are with you. May Allah keep you steadfast on the true path and help you. And guide your family too.

No matter what, be nice to your parents. And keep reading the quran, it will increase your knowledge and keep you strong. May Allah make it easy for you.

Wassalaam.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
badamasi View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badamasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2007 at 5:31am

Wa Alaikum Salam,

Am very happy to hear from you.But my brother in Islam,you know what? I will like you to meet me at yahoo with this adress ( [email protected] ) cous that is the site I realy visit always.Try your hard best to contact me there,couse me too I will do my best to help you.

Hope to hear from you very soon.

My greetings to you.

WASSALAMU ALAIKUM.

Aisha Muslima View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aisha Muslima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2007 at 1:46pm

Asslaam alikum, I reconvert last year when i was 17 years old also. I reconvert 5 days before ramadan. Since i was new and i didnt want my family to hate me, i wanted to wait a fews months or a yer before telling them. But my mother found Prayer#Ramadan paper schecules just after Ramadan finish. So was very angry that i reconvert to Islam but mostly that i didnt tell her myshelf, she didnt know that i wanted to tell her but not right away. Now it better alhumdulilah, my family didnt hate me.

As for praying, you can read in the internet or isalmic books (on prayer) how to do it or go to Masjid to learn how to pray or ask a muslim tha u know how to pray. Since I go to highschool also, the only prayer that is during school is Dhurh, if i can i pray during lunch time with other sisters. If not i do it right away when i get home.

wa alikum assalam  

Aisha Muslima
Farwa_Syeda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farwa_Syeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 4:13pm

Asalam-o-alaikum xShannonx

May Allah(SWT)bless u n He Himself make u out of every difficulty n hardship.Ask for help to Him n He'll definitely help u n "verily He has power over all things".He can solve each problem of ur n inshAllah He'll help u n he'll make ur belief firm.

Salam(peace)

Islam is a way of life, try it. Islam is a gift, accept it.Islam is a goal, achieve it.Islam is not a game, don't play with it .Islam has a message for you, hear it. Islam is love, love it .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic