IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hi everyone! New...and I need help.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi everyone! New...and I need help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xShannonx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi everyone! New...and I need help.
    Posted: 28 January 2007 at 10:13pm

Hi everyone, i'm Shannon from California  I joined a week or two ago but I haven't really had time to write anything here.

Not sure if i'm writing in the right spot, but I didn't know where else to ask. After reading the Quran, i've been interested in converting. The only problem is, is that my family isn't to fond of Muslims. I'm 17..so I obviously still live at home and i'm still in High School. I know my mom and dad won't respect my choice. I'm really close to my parents, and i'm worried that if I tell them they'll treat me differently. And i'm worried that i'll lose the relationship I have with both parents.

I'm just really confused about what to do, and how to tell them. I know i'd eventually have to tell them, it's not something I can hide from them. Thanks to anyone who's willing to help.

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 4:37am

Hi xShannonx,

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you would like this place. You have posted at the right place seeing that it is your first post and you wanted to introduce yourself.

Islam for non-Muslims section is the place where you would hopefully receive satisfactory responses to your concerns, and therefore, I would move your post there.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 5:45pm

Hey Shanon! Salam Alaikom (peace be upon you).

Well, Ive spoken to many people who embraced Islam and they too are afraid to tell their parents too and they are even afraid to pray, you can find them here www.turntoislam.com on the fan forums most of the members are Muslim reverts (if you become a Muslim you wouldnt be considered a convert you would be considered a revert because the word Muslim means one who surrenders his will to God so technically you were born a Muslim. So if you become a Muslim you would be considered a revert because you have came back to the path you were born into =D )

My advice to you is become a Muslim and dont tell your parents if u think they would take a hard position against you. But u can also try to throw in some facts about Islam as if you're just making conversation. For example you can say "did you know that Muslims believe in Christ" (which of course we do). Or something like that. Then from their go to the islamic ethics and how manners are very important. You can also tell her any story of the prophet Mohammed peace be upon him such as when the pagan leaders of the Quraish went to him and told him:

�...If you want money, we will collect enough money for you so that you will be the richest one of us. If you want leadership, we will take you as our leader and never decide on any matter without your approval. If you want a kingdom, we will crown you king over us...�

In return? In return he would have to give up calling people to Islam. What did he say?

{I swear by the name of Allah, O Uncle!, that if they place the sun in my right-hand and the moon in my left-hand in return for giving up this matter (calling people to Islam), I will never desist until either Allah makes it triumph or I perish defending it.}(Al-Serah Al-Nabaweyyah, Ibn Hesham, vol. 1, pp. 265-266.)

"So this is very weird mom" or something like that lol that "why would he refuse if he was a fake prophet".

Hope my suggestions were an good insha Allah.

And the link I gave u i very good I hope u would visit it too :) and welcome to the forums, may Allah bless u.

Here r some nice Quranic recitations hope u like em =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURNQf3BtFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0z_X26qxcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyXIj_xTF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MgimudbGQ

Peace be unto you.

Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 7:08pm

This is also an Islamic chat: www.chatislam.com

it has Muslim American scholars. This chat is strictly dedicated to new Muslims and people who are interested in Islam and want to learn so it is you would like it insha Allah (Allah willing)

u can also try mentioning 2 ur parents some of the many scientific miracles in the Quran.

http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_index.html

Edited by Arab
xShannonx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xShannonx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 7:25pm

K, i'll check those websites out.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 9:32pm
ur more then welcome and if u need anything else dont be shy to ask.
nonnie11 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonnie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 7:55am

Salam Alaykum Shannon-

I understand your situation as my mom and her side of the family is not Muslim. My mom's family does not think fondly of Islam and doesn't like that all their grandchildren have embraced Islam. My advice to you would be that converting to Islam is a gradual thing and you must introduce Islam gradually to your parents. It is very important in Islam to treat non-muslim relatives with the upmost respect. If you remain steadfast in your pursuit to embrace Islam then hopefully with Allah (swt) help, they will respect your decision. Understand that their (your parents) acceptance of your choice might not be over night as I was born to a Muslim father and was raised Muslim for the most part but only have been practicing devoutly for about 6 years (I am 24 now) and my mom's family still has deep-rooted resentment towards our (my brother and I's) lifestyle. But remember that anything is achievable or doable with Allah (swt) on your side.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 8:09pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Hi shannon

You may like to visit this site http://www.tafsir.com/ I contains the Tafsir [explanation/commentary] of the Quran by Ibn Kathir [a famous muslim scholar].

Tafsir al-Qur'an al-Azim, popularly Tafsir ibn Kathir, is a classic Sunni Islam tafsir (commentary of the Qur'an) by Ibn Kathir. It is considered to be a summary of the earlier tafsir by Tabari, Tafsir al-Tabari. It is especially popular because it uses 'hadith' to explain each verse and chapter of the Qur'an.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic