IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Middle East
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Photography in Saudi Arabia  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photography in Saudi Arabia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubeyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photography in Saudi Arabia
    Posted: 25 January 2007 at 7:30am

Photography in general was illegal in Saudi Arabia. Photojournalists, local professional photographers, amateur photographers and visitors (Saudi Arabia receives millions of visitors every year for Hajj and Umrah) have faced great difficulties to take photos of historical sites, landscapes and daily events. However, as from August 2006 Saudi Arabia is now officially allowing photography in public areas. What was the real cause for banning photography? Read this article to find the answer.

muslimwikipedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muslimwikipedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 2:19pm
Asalamalykum brother,
I looked at your wonderful photos.

Recently I was approached by the owner of muslimphotos.net. He expressed
an interest in using his photos on the muslimwikipedia, so that the beauty
of the muslim world could be shared with others.

Here is the conversation I had with him.

http://www.muslimwikipedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

would you be interested in something similar.

Abu Safeeya
zubeyr View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubeyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 6:00pm

Waalaikoum Salam.

I would like to share my photos with muslimwikipedia, however as it is known that any material posted on muslimwikipedia will eventually fall into the public domain (which can be used for commercial and non-commercial purposes). This is what discourages me to post my unique quality photos.

Anyway, thanks for your compliments.

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by zubeyr zubeyr wrote:

Waalaikoum Salam.

I would like to share my photos with muslimwikipedia, however as it is known that any material posted on muslimwikipedia will eventually fall into the public domain (which can be used for commercial and non-commercial purposes). This is what discourages me to post my unique quality photos.

# Some cameras allow you to write a comment into each image file. If your camera does, you can use this to write in your copyright statement.

# Any decent image manipulation or cataloguing software allows you to write your copyright statment into appropriate EXIF and IPTC fields in the file. Always do this before putting images onto the web or sending files to clients etc.

# You can also add a 'digital watermark' which creates an invisible marker in the picture identifying it as yours, but this may nor be very effective. Most image handling programs can also add a visible water mark but this makes your pictures look less good.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 9:26am
Originally posted by zubeyr zubeyr wrote:

Waalaikoum Salam.

I would like to share my photos with muslimwikipedia, however as it is known that any material posted on muslimwikipedia will eventually fall into the public domain (which can be used for commercial and non-commercial purposes). This is what discourages me to post my unique quality photos.

Learn about copyright.

The pictures are yours and cannot be used without your permission, also use the copyright symbol and the date which is the year you publish it.

With all those photographers and their galleries out there, people wouldn't be able to see nice things and show us the beauty of the world.

p.s: ak, has good advice there to

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
zubeyr View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubeyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 10:17am

We as Muslims (who comes for umrah or hajj) have had difficulties to take pictures in Saudi Arabia, but now Saudi Arabia has opened its door to non-Muslims also (tourists in general) and photography has been legalized mainly to encourage tourism.

I would like to hear your views and comments about whether you had difficulty to take photos in Saudi Arabia and what do you think about this situation.

muslimphotos.ne View Drop Down
Member.
Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muslimphotos.ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 8:17am

Salaam

zubeyr, remember that it is only the file which you release for wikipedia that is left in the public domain. If you release a file which has not an excellent resolution and quality, you will still have no problem selling your original pictures. This is how I will do it. Wikipedia links back to my site, and if anyone wants to see my pics in greater (1 mp)  resolution, they can access it from http://muslimphotos.net/gallery.

Regards
Athar

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic