IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I cannot shake your hand, sir.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI cannot shake your hand, sir.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:06am

No problem. She is now a constable and can ARREST THE CHAP who forced her to join the Force!

If she joined of her own free will then what did she think she would be doing on her beat? Sitting at the local Tandoori and saying all her salaats?

Instead of discussing the merits and the demerits of shaking hands or not shaking hands, we must pay our tribute to the British Police - you join it  and suddenly Islam wakes up in you!!!

Jamna View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 8:33pm

Seeker of Truth: So its permissable for handshaking since its not sexual in intent..Thanks......

I think there are two conditions given:

1) No sexual intent

2) There is explicit necessity.

TQ.

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Whisper Whisper wrote:

No problem. She is now a constable and can ARREST THE CHAP who forced her to join the Force!

If she joined of her own free will then what did she think she would be doing on her beat? Sitting at the local Tandoori and saying all her salaats?

Instead of discussing the merits and the demerits of shaking hands or not shaking hands, we must pay our tribute to the British Police - you join it  and suddenly Islam wakes up in you!!!

Right on brother.
In our younger days I remember calling these cops as ,fuzz and other names none complementary; coming of Vietnam War era and the things got even worse on the campuses.
Not realizing this day will come when an impossible task will stare me in face i.e., to expunge the images of calling them oink oink cuz accross the big pond Muslim women in hijab will have joined that group. I don't know how!
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Jamna Jamna wrote:

Below is an article about the matter which carries the opinion of Sheikh Yusof Qardawi:

Very interesting; thanks Jamna

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Whisper Whisper wrote:

Ditto

USA-NIQAABI View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 6:02am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

I read this article and saw something similiar to it on the Islam channel which is from the UK.

All I have to say is "JazakAllhauKhair" to the sister who did stand up for her rights and did go about the request in an appropriate manner.

I do have issues with her in her choice of professions but that's my issue as a muslimah I would not consider it a personal choice to hold that type of position. As such I would certainly not hold it against any muslimah or pass judgement on what's right for them for choosing a career path they truly enjoy.

Lastly, I wanted to say from my personal experience as a muslimah that observes full Islamic dress. When I go out in public for example shopping I wear the Islamic gloves or now that it is winter... winter gloves to avoid touching hands with the cashier or other male shoppers etc...Even though most times my husband is with me I'm always reaching up for merchandise or to grab shopping bags to help load the buggy... When we shop it's mostly at Halal markets so most of the markets are limited on space and don't always have buggy's so I'm always reaching to carry the bags...For the most part the merchant and shopper at these markets have a set standard of avoiding contact they don't want to touch hands/arms anymore than you do as most of them preform Salat right in their markets...

So I was following this article and it kept popping up in my head that why didn't she wear gloves when you make an arrest most times the first thing they do is put on the medical gloves as not to be stuck or come in contact with sources that could harm them while checking jacket pockets etc...I'm sure they must have dress gloves for their uniform...I don't know if their is but I'm sure their is a Fiqh ruling on gloves somewhere....I know Imams always advise the use of them in such situations as I mentioned of going to market etc.....Although I know that is to be used as a preventative measure to avoid accidental contact where-as she was attending a planned event I don't know if there would be a difference in the contact issue even with gloves.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 7:35am

Originally posted by USA-NIQAABI USA-NIQAABI wrote:

So I was following this article and it kept popping up in my head that why didn't she wear gloves when you make an arrest most times the first thing they do is put on the medical gloves as not to be stuck or come in contact with sources that could harm them while checking jacket pockets etc

Actually that is more to do with not destroying evidence and/or contaminating evidence, nearly all investigations you need to wear gloves. 

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
pauline35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 6:48am
ZEA J wrote : Pauline, you are so rude. You seem to turn nasty when people say things that you dont believe in. But guest what, i am not going to put up with your rudeness, all right. And oh, by the way Pauline, this is my last respond to you.

Pauline replied : Oh! Did I ask for your response? Being ignorant is not the solution. All you need to do is to beat it if you can't handle it.

Edited by pauline35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic