IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Barack Obama Muslim?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Barack Obama Muslim?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Barack Obama Muslim?
    Posted: 18 January 2007 at 5:27am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

Well it looks like he might want to run for the top job....but is he muslim?

Everyone knows the media spun life story his father was muslim his mother remarried and his foster father was muslim he went to muslim schools lived in muslim countries and later after returning to Hawaii finished with a couple of years of Christian schools and off to college....

Well I'm confused because in the spring of 2001 on 60 minutes my husband and I were watching an Ed Bradley special where he spent the day with Barak and he said he was mulsim? He said it was of concerne because of 911 and he wanted to put the public at ease...He stated it loud and clear infront of his wife and munchkins and for everyone to hear...

Which was kind of exciting our family was happy Mash'Allah to see a muslim who wanted to pursue a career of service in public office....

Last election time when our Imam mentioned in the Khutbah and Jummah Salat he knew the br. running for office and how he became muslim and was urging us to vote for him than said the br's name I thought well maybe he just forgot about Barak? Or he wanted to put emphasis on the fact that this br' came to Islam and BArak was born and raised in it......

Than this last election time when my kids were talking about it from all of the election stuff they were studying at school they said "No Mama" "Only Baraks family are muslim he's Christian"...I said "What...that doesn't sound right" even my hubby chimed in with "Remember the 60mins interview"....we went to his official website during election time and it made very little mention of either father and really played the entire being muslim way down...

I couldn't believe it and than midway down the page it listed the baptist church he and his family had in very recent years just started to attend....

So is he muslim or not?

If during election time you heard some of his speeches you could clearly define undertones and influences from the Quran much of what he said could be related back to passages in the Quran even though not the exact wordings......

If he is like the media has labeled him a "Closet Muslim" what does that say to us as an Ummah do we trust him or not? It was just heart breaking to learn about all of this during election time and wonder what happened and when and why?....

The Quran speaks very clearly about how to interact with someone that has denounced Islam so what do we do as muslims? Even if we choose not to vote do we support him in our communities or dismiss him as someone that is wrongly guided?

It reminded me of Madeline Albright and how only after she was appointed to her position and was dispatched to Europe she came out and said she had learned in recent years she was Jewish and of the Jewish faith...I remember shaking my head and thinking so little of her not because of her faith or choice to follow a particular faith but becasue she decided to announce it after she was established in her new position. I thought well maybe it's true she just learned but also thought probably not she probably concealed it to get her position...Allah(swt) knows best....My point being that when a public official openly denies who they are and than mid-stream changes who they are should they be someone we should trust...it's already hard to believe anything that's coming out of our Nations Capitol so should we even be surprised or care?

Seeking View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 6:42am

Here's an article in Counterpunch about Barak. If true, it's of a great concern to Muslims.

http://www.islamicity.com/m/news_frame.asp?Frame=1&refer enceID=30079

Peace

USA-NIQAABI View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 7:22am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

I've read that article and about a dozen or more just like it...As well as others that down play that entire aspect of his life that formed a foundation of how he grew up and helped shaped who he is today.

WaAllahuAlim...Allah(swt) knows best. What is in his heart and mind and what faith he was born and in what faith he will grow old and die in.

From a trust stand point I think that if he is like the media has played him on different occasions as a "Closet Muslim" than how could he gain support from the Ummah by denouncing Islam and how could he continue to have the support of the Non-Muslim community if he reverts back to Islam after being elected?

Again as I said our entire family was really let down when we found out the news around election time.

From a muslim standpoint I think he should be concerned with his actions as this life is short and he will be held accountable for all that he does...and from what all media reports have stated his foster father was/is very devout and his family was practicing Islam for many years so he is well aware of how he will be held accountable for all of his actions and deeds good and bad....

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 12:50pm

Barack Obama's father was a Muslim, but he became disillusioned with ALL religions and became an atheist.  Barack is a Baptist.  I have pictures of him speaking from the pulpit of a Baptist church.

His comments concerning his faith (and other issues) are found at this link:

www.getreligion.org

God's Peace.

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 2:32pm

Assalamu'Alaikum Patty,

I used your link and went to his home page that is pretty much the home page we saw at election time....so it doesn't really answer my question unfortunatly.

There's no doubt that today he is active in a Christian lifestyle but it doesn't touch on his past it makes it seem like oh his father was from kenya and went back home....he lived in Indonesia for quite some time and his foster father the man that his mother married was a very devout muslim. It doesn't touch on that or that he attended Islamic school in Indonesia...It also doesn't discount his 60 minutes interview.

Allahu'Alim...as I said before it will be hard to trust him either way or from either side of the fence...and it's between him and Allah(swt)as to how he will live and die and account for his life....

Thanks for the link I wish it had more detailed information about his youth etc....

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 6:22pm
Politicians are like people...It's hard to trust them when you first meet them...We all have skeletons in our closet anyway I'd like to see someone cast the first stone.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 10:37pm
USA-NIQAABI:

Are you dreaming? A Muslim getting in the White House!
According to Wikipedia:

>>> The Obamas are members of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ.

I don't know what is he going to do with middle name Hussein

And what Joshua Frank wrote about his thinking, it is scary, probably his sperm donor must be on hot seat while six feet under

Trivia:

He is Afro American Bill Clinton, coincidence both Leos, fathers of both died in auto accidents! mothers remarried

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2007 at 4:17am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

I think for myself and our family it's more about the trust issue rather than were he ends up...he is very charismatic in his speaking and very idealistic...I'm sure he'll go far how far Wa'Allahu'Alim....

I think that for whatever reason him or his pr people making the choice to down-play or ignore his roots feeds into mistrust of his intentions and how honest he really is....But if he does decide to go back to Islam or if he never really left it one things for sure he will lose the respect and trust of many people on both sides of the fence.

Denouncing a belief or way of life or your past is one thing but hiding it and ignoring it to be accepted is another......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic