IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the Right Religion?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the Right Religion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the Right Religion?
    Posted: 09 January 2007 at 12:14pm

Often times on IC we constantly discuss (or battle) what religion is the best one to follow but because this is a Muslim website it is usually Islam that is being discussed as the right religion. God in the Qur'an states that Islam is the best because it was created as an avenue for humans to directly serve God. To be Muslim is one who willingly submits to God and his universal laws. However the question is still unanswered: "What is the right religion to follow?"

Islam answers this, but with bias of course. There is no true answer to such a question because the path of religious enlightenment resides in the individual. We decide whether something such as Islam is correct for us or not. We decide to open our minds. There are those among us who reinforce a thought that religious enlightenment is something that is divine inspired. It is rather the contrary. Religious inspiration is distinct from divine. Divine is something that comes instantaneous and phenomenal unlike religion. Religious inspiration is more like acquired knowledge as someone who read a mathematical equation and somehow gets it.

But with divine inspiration it i something more, something that transcends physical reality. It is more so an unexplanainable sensation. Sufi's unconver this mystery as a mystical element of the divine as one mere explanation but there are several other explanations about this phenomenon. When certain individuals come here either confirming or denouncing our faith it is with the individual's intentions to do so. Some copme with a pre-conceived notion that their way is the right way and it is because of a pre-existing knowledge one has of a thing but it by no means confirms nor denies this truth.

I find the constant postings of "Jesus did not die" or "The Bible Vs Quran" as examples of the particulars of knowledge seeking. However, these questioning or provoking argumentative discussion does not confirm a type of concrete knowledge rather, they confirm opinions. It is quite easy to discuss something using doctrinal references. But for the purposes of proof the individual who simply "quotes" references is not proving anything just simply stating the doctrinal text. Proof is demonstrative something that requires rational ability.

The ability to simply say "Your religion is wrong and here is why" is not the correct premise to start. Rather, if one is going to denounce a thing it should be with the person who is trying to demonstrate their proof, not the religion. The religion will always remain whether we disagree with it or not but for those who come here to espouse rhetorical non-sense about correlating terror with Islam it should be in our minds to dissimilate any so-called truth they try to present. The Qur'an is a manuel for the thinker to acquire the ability to demonstrate their reasoning by way of rational discourse, that is, the empirical evidence that resides in the physical world.

If we continue to bicker amongst ourselves as well as the external communities on the particulars of faith we will accomplish nothing. I have seen this even at a young age where scholarly individuals could sit in a room and then fight about something as small as the notion of divinity. Now, in this day and age I see Muslims fighting over the particulars of Islam such as rightful succession and to what school of thought an individal may belong. I myself perhaps have been promoting this status quo for a long time. But it is imperative that Muslims like myself realize that the particulars of faith are not important in demonstrating  what is precious to us.

Faith is the paramount aspect of a Muslim because it is solidified by the crystallized words of the Divine from the Empyrean. So to ask "What is the right religion?" is naught but an arbitrary question such as asking what is virtue but rather what of the many paths that are in front of me can benefit to my knowledge?

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2007 at 7:59pm

Israfil,

I have wanted to say this for some time now.  I do appreciate the fact that you have undertaken perhaps the most unappreciated career in the country....that of a police officer.  I lived in LA in the late 70s, very near Fox Hills Mall in Culver City.  I worked at Great Western Savings and Loan on the corner of Wilshire Blvd. and La Cieniga in Beverly Hills.  My neighbor was a policeman.  He was covered with bruises from his job many times.  It is a very thankless, but extremely important job.  Who do people call when they are having domestic problems, have been raped, robbed, when someone has been shot or murdered?  Of course the police are called immediately. 

My father (I am still grieving the loss of this wonderful man), was a federal correctional officer.  He was very kind and compassionate.  He, too, was beaten and bruised when he came home from his shift on many occasions, but he went to the prison on his own time to offer counseling and consolation to the inmates who needed someone to listen to them.  He loved his job (hard as that may be to believe.)

Anyway, I do thank you for all you do to help make the country just a little bit safer, at great risk to your own personal wellbeing.

God's Peace, Israfil.

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:01am

Usually my motto is: Many paths One God.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 1:54pm
My favorite answer is here:

49:13 O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 5:16pm

DavidC what an excellent reminder!

Angel: although your statement is true in so many ways, religious orthodoxy would disagree with you. In Orthodox belief there is no room for pluralism, save the elements of religious morality. But usually, religionist who are orthodox followers tend to believe that the core element of belief is to believe in One God. Now if there are many paths to one God where does atheism fit?

Patty thank you for your kind words! It is very rare that Police Officers in general get a thank you from the public. The stigma of police officers in California is much worse than anywhere else. Usually because cops are in camera's view. But yes any profession which requires one to be in a position of danger should at least get a thank you so with that I say "you're welcome" and glad to serve people like you.

Edited by Israfil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic