IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sufism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sufism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senekerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sufism
    Posted: 26 December 2006 at 12:40pm
Is Sufism a approved practice of Islam?  the reason I asked is that I has a spiritual awakening when I learned of Sufism. It is from that point I began to look at Islam.  I mediatate using one of the 99 names of Allah.  Is this permitted?
Kay
Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 3:59pm
No no no. This is a sect which links itself to Islam but is very far away from Islam. Beware of such things.

Edited by Arab
senekerk View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senekerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 6:01pm
OK, but what about  the meditation on the 99 names or attributes of Allah?
Kay
Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 6:08pm

I dont know that great much about Sufisms practices but the Salat (the prayer) is enough as an act of worship in that essence. Sufies drum and dance on the names of Allah etc this isnt the way you become closer to God. This is not the action of a humble heart. The Prophet peace be upon him never did any of the stuff Sufis do. Yes Allah has 99 names which are his attributes and you can call him with any of them but you cant sing and drum etc the way Sufis do, that isnt an act of worship, its just unrational. Allah says in sura Taha that "to him belongs all beatiful names" all beatiful names are Allahs names. But you should beware who you watch. The prophet told us what is hapening today. That islam would be divided into many many sects near the end of the world, all of them in hell exept for one. They asked which one? He said what I am on right now. This what sunnis do (the majority of the Muslims, almost 85%).

I hope the brothers and sisters will give you a more sufficient answer ;) but the Suffis have many wrong stuff even when it comes to Allah I think they associate partners with him too.

Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 6:09pm
Have you converted to Islam brother? have u learned how to pray?
senekerk View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senekerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 6:11pm
I usually select one name or attribute and just close my eyes, breath deep and think about the name quietly. This is in addition to other prayers.  I'm not into any dancing or drumming.
Kay
rubies View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 3:23am

There are a lot of misunderstandings out there about what is called Sufism.

I hope you will find this article useful.

Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 4:21am
But did you say your shahada? I think you should go to a mosque, make sure its a sunni mosque and learn with them how to pray the correct way, theyre very sweet people im sure theyd love to show you. Also you can to CAIR have u herd of it? They can give u many free literature and DVDS  about Islam etc showing you how to pray correctly etc. visit there website on the net www.cair.com and u can find there adress in the USA somewhere in the site and u can go 2 them inshAllah brother ;) btw the Salat (the islamic prayer) is very much relaxing and comforting more than the Suffi ways. Its what the Prophet used to do. Its okay for you to think about a name of Allah as much as you want, thats ok and its good because your thinking of Him but you have to know how to pray the right way, you know?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic