IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sufism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sufism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 2:26pm

Hi,

in my non-scholarly opinion the short answer to that is that Sufism has evolved out to be what we now know it today, a sect. It probably was not so as great Muslim Sufis through their practice of devotion within Islam spread their religion into south asia, and it is because of their practice of Islam through devotion that the Muslims of sub-continent are Muslims not Sufis today.

Many Sufi practices may be deviations from the straight teaching of Islam, and thus not Islamic.

Hasan

The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 2:59pm

My cousin is a Sufi- She never describes herself as a Sufi Muslim. 

LOL!!  I have heard from different Muslims both ways that she is Muslim and that she is not Muslim!!

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

My cousin is a Sufi- She never describes herself as a Sufi Muslim. 

LOL!!  I have heard from different Muslims both ways that she is Muslim and that she is not Muslim!!

Hi believer,

if she (your cousin) or anyone who believes in One God, believes in God's messangers and books, follows God commands and and applies them as should be, and believes in the Judgement day, is a Muslim according to my understanding.

Hasan

The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 11:30pm

Also as per saying of the holy prophet, "If any one pronounces kalimah (that there is only One God i.e. Allah and Muhammad is his messenger) and he prays facing to Qiblah at Makkah, he eats from our food, He/She is a Muslim. There is guarantee of safety from Allah and his prophet for that person and O, you muslim people, do not break that guarantee, ever."

That is a hadith I have quoted. It tells more accurately, about who is a Muslim.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 3:19am
Honeto, I think you should learn more about sufism, sure some may have taken aspects of it to be a sect, but the heart of islam is sufism without it would be just an empty shell devoid of spirituality.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
MORIYAAZ View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MORIYAAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 4:49am

Slmz,

Well said Angel !

I am a Muslim from South Africa and in my country the 'traditional Islaam' that was followed since the first Muslim Pir (Sheikh) Yusuf From Java (Malaysia) - who was a political prisoner - established Islaam here. He was a 'Sufi' and the Malaysian practices like Meelad un Nabi, Urs etc. are still followed to this day by hundreds of thousands of Cape Malays. It was only in the second half of the last century that some adherents of the Deobandi school (came from India) calling themselves the Tablighi Jamaat and had a difference of opinion to the traditional way Islaam was followed calling some of our practices as Bidat (innovation.) We say that innovation can be good (if it serves our Din and Master Allaah (SWT).)We still follow the Tariqas Riffai, Naqshbandiyya and Qadirriya here. We have had many debates with the Deobandi's/Tablighi's regarding these issues. For us making communal Zikr etc. is a very powerful way/path to attain closeness/connectiveness to our Creator and Sustainor Allaah (SWT.) 

We do not call ourselves 'Sufi's' but Muslims as we follow the Quraan al Kareem and Sunnah of our beloved Nabi Muhammad Mustapha (SAW.)

Regards & Wa Salaam

Bro' Mo      

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 5:10pm

Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Honeto, I think you should learn more about sufism, sure some may have taken aspects of it to be a sect, but the heart of islam is sufism without it would be just an empty shell devoid of spirituality.

Hi Angel,

I think you misunderstood me,  the thing I have said (in the post on the top of this page) was that Sufism actually brought Islam to the sub-continent and is the devotional or spiritual part of Islam not a sect of Islam, otherwise we (those from the sub-continent) would have been Sufis. When I say that Sufism has evloved out of main stream Islam and now may be a sect is because if any one leave or superceed a prescribed practice of Islam with another one, he/she leaves  mainstream Islam. What I am refering to is if any of the basic practices such as (Salath) is replaced with devotion even at times, for example, it is deviating from the basic teachings thus makes it a sect. Nothing should superceed what is prescribed by the Quran and the prophet (pbuh).

No doubt that devotion and spirituality are important parts of our religion.

Hasan

monasjazz View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monasjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 2:35am

the truth of sufism never comes out from your mouth ( by your  limitation  knowledge on it ) , but the truth of sufism come out from itself , sufism ..

let it be ..

belive it or not .. even you was a muslim ( believers) ..

Smile

Edited by monasjazz - 10 April 2008 at 2:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic