IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Old Testament &Qu’ran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Testament &Qu’ran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senekerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 3:54pm

I'm sorry let me clarify. Muhammed (pbuh) passed the Qur'an down orally until it was written down  never mind i know the answer to the question now  The Qu'ran was memorized word for word. The OT stories were not memorized word for word.  It helped me to know the Qu'ran was a verbal revelation. Thank you for your time with me.

I am reading a translation by Yusuf Ali and in the first couple of Surahs it is written In the name of allah, Most Gracious, Most Mericiful. 1. A.L.M.  What does ALM mean?

Kay
Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 4:08pm

Im not sure about that cause I read the Arabic Quran, the brothers and sisters hopefully will help you with that. I do advice you read the Prophets biography. This is one of the best books written, you can order it from here:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1594771537/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/104- 7205883-6334365

It is really really good! And btw the Quran was also written down at the time of Mohammed and was read to him over and over again to make sure it was exactly the same word for word ;) Allah promised in the Quran that he will protect that Quran from being corrupted. The OT and the NT have been corrupted but thats because they were only ment for the people of there time, they werent ment to be for eternity, but the Quran is and was ment for eternity so Allah preserved it this time.

www.islam-guide.com

go to the scientific miracles section and read it ;)

The Quran has got many interesting scientific miracles.

senekerk View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senekerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 4:12pm
Ok one more question. Explain to me the reasoning behind staing "Muhammad is the messenger of God in the Shahada. Why can't you just say the first part. There is no God, but Allah
Kay
Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 4:16pm

Because Mohammed is the one who preached that there is no God but Allah and he went through a lot of tormentation while preaching the message. He once was starved for three years all he had to eat was mostly leaves. So out of respect for him, he is in the Shahada. If you read the book I gave you the link to, youll love him, youll understand why hes highly respected.

senekerk View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senekerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 4:30pm
Thank you  you have been very helpful  The book is on my wish list and I like the links you gave me.  Thank you
Kay
Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 4:33pm
You're more than welcome
southman4b View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southman4b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 4:38pm
As Salaamu Alaikum,

There are many issues being discussed within this thread.  Muslims must believe in all the previous revelation as passed from Allah through the Angel Jibril (Gabriel) to the messengers (Prophets).  Specifically we are aware of the Torah revealed to Musa (AS) {Moses}, the  Zabin (Psalms to Dawood (AS) {David}), the Injil (Gospel) to Isa (AS) {Jesus}, and the Quran to Muhammad (SAW).  We also must believe in all the Prophets.

The God you ask of is the God of Abraham.  You may hear of the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) which is indicative that the God discussed in all of the above mentioned revelation is of and from the same God.  It has already been mentioned that Allah is the Arabic word for God.  You would also be interested to know that Christians who speak Arabic refer to God as Allah as well. 

I suspect that there will be more questions ahead.

Salaam,

Abdul Latif
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2006 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by senekerk senekerk wrote:

What I was taught was that most of the the OT stories were passed down orally, that is until someone put them on paper. 

One can assume that some form of oral and maybe written tradition existed with the Israelites from the time of Joseph and Benjamin, etc.

The actual Torah, whatever you may call it, represents a revelation givan to Moses. Revelation is from God. Any past historical events it may mention is not dependent upon the accuracy of trasmission from the already present tradition.

The Torah brought a recount of Noah and the events from the time of Abraham. The point is, the Torah contained events that would have been familiar to the Israelites.

What you have now are traditions that have been handed down to you, with the methods of transmission unknown, and without any way of varifying or authenticating the present Torah.

The same applies to Mohammed (pbuh) yes????

Please clearify.

so how do we know if Mohammed was repeating what he had already heard, or if the stories were actually revealed to him???

I'm not being argumentative only trying to understand.

Once more I would like to proceed with this very good question from another perspective.

How would an Israelite, in the desert 10 years after exodus, know if Moses either borrowed stories or had them actually revealed.

I have my reasons for starting from this perspective and then moving forward.

Thanks  

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic