IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I hate living with my in-laws  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I hate living with my in-laws

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ma84 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hate living with my in-laws
    Posted: 02 April 2012 at 9:50am
Asalaamu alaikum,

I was searching on this topic and I came upon ur post..I have been having the same problem, married 8 months ago to my first cousin, living with the inlaws n having the same issues with mil...i wuz wondering since this post has been written. In 2005, wat has happened in ur life since and did u get a chance to leave ur inlaws...im in the exact situation u are in..he is the eldest son n is taking care of the family financially...my mil makes us fight...im depressed and hopeless...i hope to get some positive feedback from u...i was living abroad before marriage n I movedback home after..before marriage evryone wuz good after they all changed..i did love marriage with cousin n the only reason im bearing all is becoz of him he is gud to me,,but his parents r horrible...plz advise thanx
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 8:57am

I'm supporting SisterMuslima 110%

So well said

Mrs. Dia
Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 1:23pm

Salaam Sister Rashidr,

You so sound so much more Peaceful now. You sound very calm, as if a big burden has been lifted off your shoulders. Alhumduallah, you finally got the keys to your own apartment! You are finally gaining your Freedom, and that is such a blessing. I am proud of you for standing up for your rights--and look, now you have your own home.  

There is a saying, "a Beehive can only have 1 Queen".  So, move forward into your new home, and don't look back to the old life. You are an adult, soon to be a Mother and a college graduate. You're a  Woman now. Live your life in Freedom and Peace. Decorate and enjoy your new home, and do the things that make you happy. Maybe you can join some Muslim Mothers Groups or Halaqua, so that way you'll have a new friends (outside of family) and new things to do. Live your Own Life. Be Happy.

I agree with your husband for being kind to his Parents. That is our obligation to Allah; and may Allah forgive me if I made it appear that he should be disrespectful to his parents. He is right in that regard. And he did the right thing by giving you your own home.

Now that you have your own home, I hope the time alone with your husband will strengthen your bond and bring you both happiness.

You know, I was thinking about something. You said that you have dreams that in a few years, you will have to move back in with his Parents. And you said that your husband has said that he will move back in with them, and never say "no" if they ask... Maybe in a few weeks, you should have a long talk with your husband. When I was growing up--my mom taught me this about marriage: She said, "You will either live your life on "his terms", or "your terms"--always live life on "your terms". Rashidr, Its clear that your husband's family belives their daughter-in-laws are obligated to "take care of them" and "serve them". That is their family/cultural tradition.  But, you made it clear that is Not how you want to live your life, and you absolutely have that right...Sister, You should let your husband know that unless his mother and father are very ill--you will not agree to let them live in your home , and you will not move back in with them under no circumstances. Calmly sit down, and calmly have a long heart-to-heart talk and tell him this. You should get this on the table now and make an Agreement with your husband, so that 2 years from now, you won't be moving back in with them.   (Or, they wont be moving in with you after you get a great job and move into a big new house.)

If your husband tells you that he yes, he WILL give up his home and move back in with them if his parents ask him to come back- even if you do not want that  ;  then Sister, know that those are "his terms". If he says that, he is only being honest and telling you truthfully what he will do. If so, you need to accept that as a reality and Decide if you can live on those terms.

But, inshallah--he may take your side, and realise that unless his mother or father have an illness, it's best for his wife and child to live in your own home in Peace. Hopefully, he will see that is best.

(Also keep in mind that sometimes its good to place distance between you and difficult relatives by moving to another state--and that does not mean you're "abandoning them". I've seen in my own family how when some relatives cant get along--one of them moving to another state actually makes them grow closer since "distance makes the heart grow fonder".. Maybe after you get that degree, you and your husband can make plans on moving to another State in 1 year.)

Salaam and Enjoy your New Home

Let us know how things go.

Salaam

Edited by Muslimah07
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 11:27am
Stick up for yourself.. and of course the baby.. and take care of yourself.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
rashidr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rashidr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 10:51am

Salam Musimah07

I really appreciated your email and heard eveyrthing you said. I absolutely agree with you and am 100% sure that what you said is accurate. I am not someone who gets oppressed easily and that bothers my mother in law. Believe me sister, there have been  many times where I have threatened to leave my husband and have even come to a point wheere I booked my flight back home and told him I would not come back. My parents tried to work things out with my in laws but even they got sick of it and asked me to reutrn if thats what I thought was best. They told me they would support me either way. The sad part of it was, that my husband was the one who got upset and got trapped in the middle. HE admitted to me his parents are very wrong and he promised me a place of my own which alhumdullilah we got. We got the keys a few days ago and move in first week of january. He said that if I left than noone would suffer but him. He thinks I will find another person and his parents will just continue their foolishness even with another wife, if he marries again. He said he's the only one who will be left alone. That's when I realised that he is on my side. HE is trying his best not to be mean to his parents becuase that is something he says he cannot do. On the other hand however, he is trying ot give me everything that is my right. He asks that I be kind to his parents in return for as long as I can, which I am trying to do but ofcourse, it's immensel;y difficult.

As for being pregnant, it was absolutely not planned but Alhumdullilah Allah blessed us. We wwere using precaution but subhanAllah it still happened. SO I take it as a blessing from Allah. I have no reason to be stuck to his parents even if I have a baby. If I am treated wrong, I am always readyt o walk out but I stop becuase of my husband, becase he is kind to me and takes care of me regardless of what his parents say. They try to turn him against me in some ways but still he is kind to me and does realise what his parents are doing. He just does not have the courage to mistreat them and I would not want him to. I dont have to do anything, it is already clear to me that he sees right through his parents. Eventualy he will be sick of his parents the way his father was and is sick of his mother and his father. Its the circle of life. He always saw his father take care of his mother and his grandfather (who he lived with) take care of his grandmother.He knows he has to take care of his wife. In my culture marrying again or marrying a second wife is looked down upon and he does not even think about that. I donot agree with this opinion ofcourse but that is the way he was raised. I do pray to Allahg and so far this child has beena  blessing. My husband had become more on my side and is even nicer and more caring. He talks about he his family (my child and I )are so important and how he finally has a family now. He does nto include his parents in HIS family. SO I am just resting. Taking it one step at a time and realise that this child has already made my position stronger with him. InshaAllah just pray for me. This will inshaAllah work in my favor.

Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 9:27am

Salaam Sister Rashidr,

I read your Question a few days ago, and I became very upset at reading what you are going through.

Rashidr, you are living in an Abusive Environment.

Allah teaches us to treat our family members with kindness: But your in-laws have stolen from you and verbally abused you on a daily basis. Allah did not send you to this earth to abused.

Your in-laws are wrong, and so is your husband. Your husband is ALLOWING them to mistreat you as his wife. That is wrong, wrong, wrong.

However, what is also upsetting is this: Sister, you have ALLOWED this situation. This is what life has taught me: No can absuse you if you don't allow them to. We Muslim women can not sit back like helpless victims, and stay in abusive marriages and situations. Allah says that the Muslim is one who defends himself when wronged, and Allah also says that husbands are not to abuse their wives. When you first realized that your in-laws were mean-spirited and hateful towards you--and that your husband would allow them to mistreat you--you should have followed your insticts and divorced him like you said you were going to, and moved back home with your parents. Divorce Is permitted in Islam, and no one should make you feel guilty for leaving an abusive marriage and family life. Allah says we can part ways amicable, and no Muslims should convince you to stay in a situation that they themselves wouldn't want their own daughters to live in.

It's our reposibilty as a women to Empower Ourselves.

But, now you are Pregnant. Sister, can I ask you this: Why did you get pregnant?    Birth control is permitted in Islam, and Sister, You KNEW that your Mother in-Law makes your life a living hell  (), and that these people were crazy. Now, you are stuck with that woman for the Rest of Your Life: She is now your "baby's Grandmother", and she will continue her agressive, controlling behavior agianst you as you try to raise 'Her Grandchild'. Sister, life has shown me that when people are abusive--they only get worse as time goes on, not better. Sister, although you are in this abusive siuation, you are not making the right choices for your life. As women, we have control over our bodies, we're not farm cattle, forced to continously reproduce and reproduce agianst our will. My mom used to alwsys tell me "Think!"... With you about to get your degree, living in this bad family situation-- not using Birth Control was not 'thinking'. I'm sorry, but I'm only speaking to you as I would my own family member. 

Well, If you stay in this marriage--you can expect a Lifetime of dealing with these people.

Sister, you need to decide if you want to be in this situation for the rest of your life. Your Home should be a place of Peace--not fighting, abuse, arguments, etc.

If you decide to stay--then you KNOW what you are getting into, and know that you Can Not change these people; and that you'll have to do what Niquab Ummi said and try to be kind, forgiving with your in laws so you can Keep The Peace. Allah also tells us that if you give a gift to someone, that may soften their heart. Maybe you can try giving a gift to your In-Laws, and sincerely try to forgive them, and treat them with kindness in hopes of bringing Peace

But, You should also make set a TimeTable for your husband to move you into your own House or Own Apartment. Your husband is OBLIGATED to give you your OWN HOME--you are a married couple..You are pregnant now, and if stress may affect your unborn baby. It may cause your baby to be very irritable...If your husband is moving to slow, then you should take matters upon yourself: Borrow money from your Mom & Dad, and go apartment hunting on your own. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a place for $600 a month..See, that's why it is best for us women to be Independant. Khadija, the Prohpets first wife--was a sucessful Business Owner, and the Prophet worked for her for years. She didnt sit back, waiting for a man to pay her bills, not being able to make a move until a man told her what to do--she handled her own business! You can take control of your life! Get a job, get your own money, decide what city you want to live in, and put a downpayment on an apartment if your husband is moving too slow. You Dont Have To Completely Depend On a Man. Free Yourself.

And NO--you DONT HAVE TO LIVE WITH YOUR IN LAWS...They are not sick! There is NO REASON you have to live with your in laws as a married woman! If his mother was very sick and battling illness, then yes you should invite her to your house to help take care of her for the sake of Allah... But, you are NOT A SLAVE for your very healthy and 'physically able' In Laws. There is NOTHING in the Koran that obligates a married couple to live with your in-laws and be their servants, cook for them and serve them. Sister, thats called "Oppresion". As my father taught me, they're not practicing Islam, they're practicing "HisLam". ( people making up their own laws to suit their selfish purposes) 

If you decided that you do not want to live like this, then know that Allah is the Best to help, and there are many men who will appreciate a woman like you. Know that its much easier to find a new husband when you are young and only have 1 child, versus being an older "Single Mother with 3 kids".

Sister, please call on Allah, ask Him what is BEST for you to do, and listen. Ask Allah to Guide you in this situation. Allah knows Best. When you feel 100% comfortable with your decision, and whatever decision brings you Peace--follow that decision.

Stay in Touch and let us know how things go.

Peace

shamsmuscat View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamsmuscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2006 at 2:47am

As-salamu alaikum

dear rashidr, your story scares me to death.

I am going to marry my first cousin too. we were planning to live in a house of our own; howeve, his father died last month. now he changed his mind and decided that we should live with his mother and sisters since he is the oldest son in the family.

his mother is my aunt. In the past two years only she became nice to me when her son told her that he wants to marry me. I came to believe that the things will go the same way they went with you.

your husband's attitude is really selfish, sorry to say that. he should be just. If his mother is wrong he should tell her in a polit way that she should not interfere between you two. it is a must to respect the parents and never hurt their feelings; however, they are human beings and they make mistakes; they must realize their mistakes.

I hope your psycological condition becomes much much better very soon

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2006 at 10:37pm

Assalaamualaikum rashidr,

Yes I remember you had written before........I completely understand your situation because I am familiar with it.

I will tell you only one thing, make dua. When a mazloom makes dua it goes straight up to Allah. Ask Him , He will give you. And remember, times change. Your situation will get better insha Allah. Don't expect inlaws to be good to you...then you won't be disappointed.

Take care of your health. wassalaam.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic