IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what do men really want  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what do men really want

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do men really want
    Posted: 04 December 2006 at 4:24am

im posting this after a very heated argument with my ex hubby. so im not in the best of moods

basically the brother n me were having a conversation about what went wrong in our marriage. next thing i know hes blaming my mom for everything. he even went to the extent of saying that when i get paid my mom takes all my money n then she gives me an allowance. thats ridiculous n couldnt be further from the truth

y can i see waht he see. at first i laughed this off, but the brother truly believes that my mom, the person whom i love with all my heart, is one of the leading reasons for our divorce. after we spoke i started thinking. what if hes right. what if thats what really happened. but was i that blind? couldnt i see what eh saw? is he just looking for soemone to blame? why does this even matter now. seeing that we both have remarried.

when i told him that its unfortunate that the kids have to grow up in a broken home, he got very agitated n kept repeating that its unfortunate.

after this encounter im at a loss. what do men really want. am i expected to forsake my mom. the woman who gave birth to me n was there for me through thick n thin, she had my back while i was growing up. if it werent for her i wouldnt be where i am today. is it wrong for me to love my mom n respect her. is it wrong of me to buy her gifts n pamper her. i knwo that sacrifices she made for me. i know what she went through just to get me through law school. im so conflicted now.

cant a brother for once  come clean n say i messed up, im sorry. must guys always play the blame game.

Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 9:53am

Hold fast to the rope of Allah, and be not divided

Edited by Hanan
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 4:48pm

Originally posted by rookaiya rookaiya wrote:

he even went to the extent of saying that when i get paid my mom takes all my money n then she gives me an allowance.

Even if this were true it's your money to do as you please.  Your support is his responsiblity.

rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 10:39pm

asalamu alaikum

ok. ive read the 2 comments. guess i needed to vent. like u said hanan the guy are me are divorced for 2 years now so i dont know y we were even havinga  heated conversation or even discussing what might have been. its silly really.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2006 at 9:00pm

Rookaiya allow me to answer your question.

"What do men really want is rather broad." Because to ask the question of what men want is asking for a different answer as diverse as the different men on this planet. So what men want depends on the man you've married (or plan to marry). Several things that are factors in a persons decisions in marriage:

1) Culture

2) Economic situation

3) Education

4) Family

For (1) depending on the type of person you marry this individual may be involved heavily in their culture. For instance on some families such as the nuclear family this may involve not on the parents but also the extended family (grandmother, cousins etc). So its not surprising to find the mother-in-law or father-in-law involved in the marital relationship. Not just economically but emotionally. Its weird because some women find themselves not making the decisions rather, their mother or father doing the decision making.

I'm not assuming in any way this is what happened in your situation but giving you one of many examples on how this can effect a relationship. (2) Economic situation speaks for itself. I don't know what your stance on this is but of course many individuals believe that a man should provide for the woman. Of course I differ for my own reason which we won't get into here but for the most part if a man's economic situation changes from when you were married that can cause intra-marital conflict. Quite frankly, if a man has no money to provide the emotional stress from the feeling of his impotence will indeed trickly into his relationship with his wife.

(3) Education speaks for itself really if he lacks education (not just academia but common sense) he lacks the rational faculty of his ability to sustain himself and his family.

(4) Family can be within the category of culture but I separated this because family in itself can play a role in our decision making.

What I see in what you are seeking now is a question that wasn't answered for you prior to marrying this man in the first place. I have to ask you: "Did you ask him what he wanted? Did you ask him what bothered him in your marriage? Did you seek a counselor before divorce? Did you seek God's counsel? Here is my ultimate question: Did you walk away from this relationship satisfied that you on your part did everything you could to sustain this relationship?

It's so easy to walk away from negative situation and get a divorce but difficult to work things out so that is why I ask the latter question.

B.H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Originally posted by rookaiya rookaiya wrote:

he even went to the extent of saying that when i get paid my mom takes all my money n then she gives me an allowance.

Even if this were true it's your money to do as you please.  Your support is his responsiblity.

Doesn't she have to have his permission to work though?

rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 11:20pm
i dont need his permission for anything. he gave me talaq 2 years ago
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 12:56am

Its difficult to generalise as to what the men 'really' want in a marriage. Its said that happy families are all alike, unhappy families are unhappy in their own ways.

I think there is no sureshot method to prevent a divorce. Its just that both men and women have to constantly work (together) to sustain a marriage. There is no substitute for that. Even the happy couples have problems. Perhaps, there is no substitute to intelligence required for resolving marital issues. Others can help but its the couple that have to make the right decisions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic