IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Personalties
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqqas {RA}  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqqas {RA}

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqqas {RA}
    Posted: 25 November 2006 at 9:57pm

S'AD IBN ABI WAQQAAS {Allah be pleased with him}

Sa'd comes from a rich and noble family. And was so much attached to his family specially his mother. He was  known for being serious and intelligent. Before embracing Islam he used to feel that he does n't fit in the life style of his people, also he was never satisfied with their religious beliefs.
                        One day Abu Bakr, one of the Companions of Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam} came up and spoke to sa'd , and explained to  him what islam is about. Then took him to Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam} . It was late afternoon by this time and Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  had just prayed Salat al-Asr. Sa'd was excited and overwhelmed and responded quickly to the invitation to truth and religion of Allah tala.The fact that he was among the first people to embrace accept islam was something that gave him satisfaction.
                              Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  was greatly pleased with the fact that sa'd became a muslim. The Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  , saw in Sa'd signs of brilliance. The fact that he was still in his youth promised great things to come.
                          Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}   was happy with his family relationship to Sa'd. Indeed Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam} , was delighted with Sa'd 's acceptance of Islam , but Sa'd 's mother was not. Sa'd narrates :

"When my mother knew that i became muslim, she flew in rage. She came up to me and said , "O Sa'd what is this religion that you have joined which has taken you away from the religion of your mother and father --- ---- - --? Either you abandon this new religion or i would nor drink  until i die. Your heart would be broken for grief for me and remorse would consume you on account of the deed which you have done and people would censure you forevr more"

"Don't do this to me mother" i said " for i would not give up my religion for any thing in this world"

Sa'd 's mother carried  out her threat  -- - - - for days she neither ate nor drank. And thus her health has majorly deteriorated, Once Sa'd went to visit his mother trying to convince her to eat, he narrates :

"Mother ! inspite of  my strong love for u , my love  for Allah and His messenger  is way stronger. By Allah , if u had thousands soul and one soul after other were to depart , i would not abandon islam for anything . When she saw that he was  determined she relented unwillingly   and ate and drank"

It was concerning Sa'd 's relationship with his mother and her attempt to forsake islam that the words of islam were revealed :

"And we enjoined on man {to be good} to his parents. In pain upon pain did his mother bear him and his wearing took two  years. So show gratitude to Me and to your parents. To Me is the final destiny"

"But if they strive to make you join in worship with Me things of which you have no  knowledge, obey them not. Yet bear them company in justice and consideration  and follow the way of those who turn to Me. In the end , the return of you all is to Me , and i shall tell you {the truth and meaning of} all that you used to do" {Qur'an 31 :  14-15 }

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2006 at 9:59pm

Sa'd inb Waqqas had distinguised role in many of the battles that took place  bothe during the time of Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  and after. He fought at te battle of Badr together with his brother Umayr who had cried to join the muslims army for he was only in  his early teens. Sa'd returned to Madinah alone for Umayr was killed in the battle.

At the Battle of Uhud, Sa'd was chosen as one of the best warriors together with Zayd,  saib the  son  of Uthman ibn Mazun  and the others. Sa'd was one of those who fought strongly in defence  of the Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam} , after some muslims deserted their positions . To urge  him on, Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  said, "shoot, Sa'd -- -- - -- may my mother and father be your ransom"

Sa'd is also known as the first companion to have shot an arrow in defence of islam. And Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  once prayed for him saying , "O Lord , direct  his shooting and respond to  his prayer"

Sa'd was one of the companions of the Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  who enjoyed great wealth. Just as he is known for his bravery, so he was known for his generosity,

During the farewell pilgrimage with Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam} , he fell ill. Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  came to visit him and said  "O Messenger of Allah, i have no wealth and i have only  one daughter to inherit from me' Shall i give two thirds of my wealth in charity."

"No,"  replied Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}

Then, shall i give a third?" asked Sa'd

"Yes," said the Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  "The third is much. Indeed to leave your heirs well-off' is better than that you shud leave your dependants on others and to beg from people. If you spend anything seeking to gain thereby the pleasure of Allah, you will be rewarded for it, even if it is a morsel which you place in your wife's mouth."

Sa'd did not remain the father of just one child but was blessed thereafter with many children

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2006 at 10:00pm

Sa'd is mainly renowed as the commander in chief of the strong Muslim army which Umar dispatched to fight the persians at the Battle of Qadisiyyah. It was not an easy task to fight the very strong army of Persia. The most powerful force  had to be mustered. Umar sent dispatches to muslim governors throughout the state to gather strong men who haad weapons or mounts, or had talents of oratory and other skills to join the muslims in the battle.

When they had all gathered , Umar consulted the muslim leaders about the appointment of commander- in -chief over the mighty army. Umar {RA}  himself thought of leading the army but Ali {RA} suggested that the muslims were in great need of him. So  Sa'd was then chosen as commander and Abdur Rahman ibn Awf, one of the veterans among the   Prophet Muhammad { Sallal lahu alaihi wasallam}  said, :

"You have chosen well. Who is there like Sa'd?" Umar {RA}  stood before the army and bade farewell to them. To the commander in chief  he said :

" O S'ad ! let not any statement that you are the uncle of messenger of Allah or that you are the companion of  of the messenger of Allah distract you from God. Allah Almighty does not obliterate evil but he wipes evil  with good.

"O S'ad ! There is no connection between God and anyone except obeying Him. In the sight of Allah all people whether nobleman  or commoner are the same. Allah is their Lord and they are His worshipers seeking elevation thru Taqwa {fear of God} and seeking to obtain what is with God thru obedience. Consider how the messenger of Allah used  to act with the muslims and act accordingly.

Sa'd was fully aware of the gravity of the impending battle and kept in close contact  with the military high command in Madinah. Although commander in chief  , he understood the importance of shura {counseling}.

Sa'd followed Umar {RA}'s instructions. The Battle of Qadisiyyah is one of the most important battles of world history. Two years after Qadisiyyah, S'ad went on to take the sasanian capital. The taking of Ctesiphon was accomplished after a brilliant crossing of the Tigris river {in Iraq} while it was in flood. Sa'd has thus gone down in the annals of history  as the Hero of Qadisiyyah and the conqueror of Ctesiphon.

Sa'd was blessed with much influence and wealth but as the time of death approached in the year 54 AH, he asked his son to open a box in which he had kept a course woolen jubbah and said :

"Shroud me in this, for this {Jubbah} i fought against the atheists on the day of Badr and in it i desire to meet Allah Almighty"

May Allah Ta'ala grant us faith of such sahabas. Ameen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic