IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Bible has errors?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Bible has errors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bible has errors?
    Posted: 20 November 2006 at 9:25am
Ok, I want to know how we can prove the Bible has errors and was tampered with? And does anyone have more information about the Council of Nicea? Thanks a bunch!
rubies View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 11:25am

Well one well known example is  the story of the woman caught in adultery.  Where Jesus (peace be upon him) reportedly says 'let him who is without sin cast the first stone'.  (paraphrasing)

Bible scholars know that this story is absent from the earliest manuscripts and is a later insertion.  You can read more about this here: http://www.bible-researcher.com/adult.html

Now, who added it?  When?  What else did they add or subtract? How can anyone rely on such a book - the NT?

Mauri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 2:20pm
Hi rubies,
You said: Bible scholars know that this story is absent from the earliest manuscripts and is a later insertion.  You can read more about this here: http://www.bible-researcher.com/adult.html

The site does not say that Bible scholars KNOW that.  It says that NEARLY ALL Biblical scholars agree on that. 

Another site says:  It is not in the earliest manuscripts (with one exception);  Here's the link:  http://www.tektonics.org/af/adulterypericope.html

For an indepth look at the different languages of the manuscripts, divisions and subdivisions see http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09627a.htm

We must be careful how we paraphrase, lest we be found guilty of misrepresentation (false witness). 

After your paraphrase, you asked: 
Now, who added it?  When?  What else did they add or subtract? How can anyone rely on such a book - the NT?

If I posted in the same spirit, I might well ask:  Now, why did rubies misrepresent the facts?  What else has she misrepresented?  How can anyone rely upon such a person?

Btw, the oldest OT manuscripts are all fragmentary:
  • The Dead Sea Scrolls: date from 200 B.C. - 70 A.D. and contain the entire book of Isaiah and portions of every other Old Testament book but Esther.
  • Geniza Fragments: portions the Old Testament in Hebrew and Aramaic, discovered in 1947 in an old synagogue in Cairo, Egypt, which date from about 400 A.D.
rubies View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 3:15pm

This is well known to Bible scholars.  I've quoted some more of them below.   If you would more carefully read my first post you will see that I am paraphrasing the words of Jesus (peace be upon him) i.e. the statement about casting the first stone, not paraphrasing the Bible scholars.   Note the quotation below where it says 'While the Fellows (of the Jesus Seminar) agreed that the words did not originate in their present form with Jesus, they nevertheless assigned the words and story to a special category of things they wished Jesus had said and done'   Now, what was that you were saying about false witness?

The New International Version of the Bible states:

"The earliest and most reliable manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53 - 8:11"

The "Interpreter's One Volume Commentary on the Bible" states:

"7:53-8:11: This passage is omitted or set off in modern editions of the gospel since it does not appear in the oldest and best manuscripts and is apparently a later interpolation. In some manuscripts it occurs after Luke 21:38."

"The New Commentary on the Whole Bible" says: 

"This story is not included in the best and earliest manuscripts [of John]. In fact, it is absent from all witnesses earlier than the 9th century, with the exception of a fifth century Greek-Latin manuscript. No Greek church father comments on the passage prior to the 12th century."

The "Precise Parallel New Testament" states in a footnote: 

"The story of the woman caught in adultery is a later insertion here, missing from all early Greek manuscripts. A Western text-type insertion, attested mainly in Old Latin translations, it is found in different places in different manuscripts.: here, or after 7:36 or at the end of this gospel, or after Luke 21:38 or at the end of that gospel"

The Five Gospels" states: 

"The story of the woman caught in the act of adultery...was a 'floating' or 'orphan' story. It is almost certainly not a part of the original text of John, but is a noteworthy tradition nonetheless...While the Fellows [of the Jesus Seminar] agreed that the words did not originate in their present form with Jesus, they nevertheless assigned the words and story to a special category of things they wish Jesus had said and done."

source

Mauri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:47pm
Hi rubies,
You asked:  Now, what was that you were saying about false witness?
Simply...
1. You said that all Bible scholars KNOW that the story is not in the earliest manuscripts. 
2. Then, to add credibility to that "fact" you give a link where "more about that can be read.
      Now...#1.  That site does not support your statement that "Bible scholars KNOW" this.  It says that NEARLY ALL  AGREE. 
   a.  "nearly all" is quite different from "all"
   b.  "agree" is quite different from "know"

And, I directed you to a site that says that the story is missing in all but one of the oldest manuscripts.  That means that it IS FOUND in ONE of the oldest manuscripts.

You posted again to say: 
"This is well known to Bible scholars".
Again, it is not well known, but agreed upon.....not by "Bible scholars", period, but by "nearly all" Bible scholars. 

You state: 
I've quoted some more of them below.
Yes, I see the quotes of what SOME Bible translations STATE.  Perhaps, you are unaware of the great controversy which those translations--not the annotations such as you have quoted--caused among greater numbers of Bible scholars.  The only one that has been accepted by any  significant number is the NIV.

You said:
Note the quotation below where it says 'While the Fellows (of the Jesus Seminar) agreed that the words did not originate in their present form with Jesus, they nevertheless assigned the words and story to a special category of things they wished Jesus had said and done'

The scholars (Fellows) of the Jesus Seminar are not viewed by the majority of Christian Bible scholars (or Christians) as credible.   Probably the most significant thing that you might recognize as invalid is that they decreed that Jesus was not a Jew. 

You also said: 
If you would more carefully read my first post you will see that I am paraphrasing the words of Jesus (peace be upon him) i.e. the statement about casting the first stone, not paraphrasing the Bible scholars.

I am aware of that.  I thought it was more gracious to suggest that the paraphrase was faulty rather than your understanding, or worse, that you were intentionally manipulating words in order to support your personal view.

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by Mauri Mauri wrote:

Hi rubies,
You said: Bible scholars know that this story is absent from the earliest manuscripts and is a later insertion.  You can read more about this here: http://www.bible-researcher.com/adult.html

The site does not say that Bible scholars KNOW that.  It says that NEARLY ALL Biblical scholars agree on that. 

Another site says:  It is not in the earliest manuscripts (with one exception);  Here's the link:  http://www.tektonics.org/af/adulterypericope.html

Stephen Turkel (Patirck Holding), in his usual obfuscation of the point, did not actually prove that the story is "not" a later addition. The link is to one of many of his sophomric works which takes any critical reader for a ride.

The link is a real waste of time, like 99% of Turkel's site.

For an indepth look at the different languages of the manuscripts, divisions and subdivisions see http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09627a.htm

The NT has been shown to have numerous insertions to help with the creative interpretations gooing on in the first 400 years of your faith. It seems, from all of the evidence we have, that you faith was not a single entity with everyone professing the same beliefs. What we find are numerous sects, each debting hard with the other to prove its personal ideas of very basic things like who and what Jesus was, and the nature of Gd. The result are numerous "creative editing" that took place from the hands of your early Christians in order for them to show to the other how the word of Gd agrees with them.

Lets not ignore the fact that hundreds of narrative accounts existed in the first 300 years, and were all destroyed save the four you have in your NT, and a few that have miraculously survived. The Gospel of Peter was more widely read, believed, and followed than that of Mark, which to date, has three different endings.

We must be careful how we paraphrase, lest we be found guilty of misrepresentation (false witness). 

After your paraphrase, you asked:  Now, who added it?  When?  What else did they add or subtract? How can anyone rely on such a book - the NT?

If I posted in the same spirit, I might well ask:  Now, why did rubies misrepresent the facts?  What else has she misrepresented?  How can anyone rely upon such a person?

Btw, the oldest OT manuscripts are all fragmentary:

• The Dead Sea Scrolls: date from 200 B.C. - 70 A.D. and contain the entire book of Isaiah and portions of every other Old Testament book but Esther.
  • Geniza Fragments: portions the Old Testament in Hebrew and Aramaic, discovered in 1947 in an old synagogue in Cairo, Egypt, which date from about 400 A.D.

The DSS, the Septuagint, and the masoretic differ from one another one certain chapters. The Sanhedrin never left a record as to how they chose a book for their cannon. It is all conjecture.  

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by Sarita Sarita wrote:

Ok, I want to know how we can prove the Bible has errors and was tampered with? And does anyone have more information about the Council of Nicea? Thanks a bunch!

I hope to have time to address this issue later. For now, I say that all you have to do is read and look closely at the numerous bible editions, and you will find "brackets" around numerous verses that indicate problems with the verse (an admittance of error from Christians). Such verses include the famous story about the adulterer.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Mauri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:49pm
Hi Andulas,

You said that Stephen Turkel (Patirck Holding)�did not actually prove that the story is "not" a later addition�.

Am I to understand that you believe the other site did actually prove that the story was a later addition?  Or, are you merely pointing out that it is a draw�a difference of opinions?

To clarify, I have not taken issue with the passage in question. But with the way a position was presented�as fact that Bible scholars know something, which, if you want to read farther about it, go to this site, when the site does not state or even support the �fact� at all. 

The issue I have is with how we communicate.  Honest communication does not rely upon �coloring� the facts with opinion.  For example, it is one thing to state that Patrick Holding did not actually prove that the story is "not" a later addition�.  But, when you add that he does it �in his usual obfuscation of the point,� you move into manipulation�trying to discredit whatever he says, based upon your personal opinion.  You do it again when you say, �The link is to one of many of his sophomric works which takes any critical reader for a ride�.

You give the appearance of having read much of Holding�s work.  Have you, really? 

And, on the contrary, a critical reader is not as likely to be taken for a ride by Holding, you or rubies, because a critical reader is not so easily influence by rhetoric as by facts. For instance, a critical reader will recognize  The link is a real waste of time, like 99% of Turkel's site� as �yellow journalism� designed to influence opinion rather than share information.

The NT has been shown to have numerous insertions to help with the creative interpretations gooing on in the first 400 years of your faith

On what do you base that assertion?  What is an �insertion� to you?  Something that was not previously written?  Clarification? 

What do you mean by �creative interpretations�?  Imagined?  Evolutionary, developing?

It seems, from all of the evidence we have, that you faith was not a single entity with everyone professing the same beliefs.

No, faith is not a single entity, if you mean faith is devoid of progression.  Faith is progressive.  The progression is from hope to faith to knowing and then to doing.  And, there are stages of progression within each of those. 

What we find are numerous sects, each debting hard with the other to prove its personal ideas of very basic things like who and what Jesus was, and the nature of Gd

Are you suggesting that that is wrong?  �that we should not debate to prove our personal ideas of very basic things, like who and what Jesus was and the nature of God?   

I contend that if we do not argue the point and prove whether our personal ideas of very basic things are just, that we have nothing!

The result are numerous "creative editing" that took place from the hands of your early Christians in order for them to show to the other how the word of Gd agrees with them.

Let�s go with that.  Show me what you consider to be �creative editing,� and I will show you, if you are willing to see, the progression. 

Lets not ignore the fact that hundreds of narrative accounts existed in the first 300 years, and were all destroyed save the four you have in your NT, and a few that have miraculously survived.

Were they all destroyed?  Why do you think those 4 were not?  And, what are the few that you say miraculously survived?

The Gospel of Peter was more widely read, believed, and followed than that of Mark, which to date, has three different endings.

That is news to me, mainly because I have never heard of the gospel of Peter.  I am aware of  two epistles of Peter.  It would even be news to me to hear that his epistles were more widely read, believed, and followed than that of Mark.  As far as the three different endings of Mark, please consider that ALL of the older manuscripts (NT or OT) were fragmentary.

The DSS, the Septuagint, and the masoretic differ from one another one certain chapters. All manuscripts differ from one another.  That is what distinguishes them as different manuscripts. 

The Sanhedrin never left a record as to how they chose a book for their cannon. It is all conjecture.  

Wow!  I never knew the Sanhedrin had a cannon!  Please inform me.

It is all conjecture.

What is all conjecture?  

Edited by Mauri
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic