IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why don’t you ask African Americans  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why don’t you ask African Americans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 10:39am

I now realise that this has been a one way relationship from the very beginning, one of the more blatant examples of this was the precondition I was told I had to meet if I were to become a �salafi muslim�, which was namely to acknowledge that I knew nothing at all�.. talk about clearing the way to be brain washed!

Having said that I do not regret spending the past three years of my life with Muslim's, as I don�t regret investing the years before with Buddhist�s.

Now, well there is no more I can do here, I think it is quite clear my word means nothing.    

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 12:07pm

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Brother i think you got me wrong, i dont think that people who revert to islam have no culture of their own. But i think that mashaAllah they are so blessed, they have so much courage that they make islam their culture and giveup everything contrary to it. You are right islam is for human and mankind all and in the eyes of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala best one is who has most taqwa (mindful of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala).

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
aus View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 10:03pm
Peace to all.

Why are we reffering to islam as a "CULTURE"???????.

For Gods sake islam is not a culture!..when someone uses the term culture you reduce islam to a mere ritualistic religion,which islam aint.

Islam is a complete way of life,which is umbrella thought over all kind of thinking,,which defines each and everything,meaning,it even defines cultures!!!..so to view it as a culture is tantamount to not doing islam a right!...its like comparing islam to christianity or hinduism or budhiism,which is wrong,,islam goes beyond that.Let us have a higher thinking brothers and sisters.

peace

Aus
KHILAFA IS THE ANSWER!
Taalib19 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taalib19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2006 at 6:28am
Jenni

In regard to your post and addressing "Is there Racism in Islaam," the answer is definately YES. I was born Muslim (One who is of Peace) and retook my Shahaadaa when I was 21 years old. You may ask why did I retake it? Because prior to then I was not living my life as a true Muslim which many today still are not doing. There are many things that they do not accept or are in denial of, racisim, is one of them and has been a dividing factor for centuries. A war has forever, been going on with the Pale Arabs vs. Dark skinned people of which the Prophit Muhammad himself was. His family was totally sought after and killed by these same professors of the faith. The first Khalifah Abu Bakr was chosen because of wealth and being a Pale Arab. So before we go painting a picture of how beautiful Islam is we should recognize these facts. A war has been going on for centuries against people of color. If you ask a Pale Arab the origin of Muhammad (pbuh) he will deny his true origin and say it does not matter just like a Christian does with Jesus. My question is if you are so true to the faith then why lie about its origin? Or for that matter the origin of those that are responsible for it? Perhaps envy is the real culprit here and like it says in Suratul Faatihaa they wish to deceive. So let's really get our "Diyn," in order and not just the parts we feel comfortable with for a Muslim can also be a "Coverer of the Truth."
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2006 at 7:34am

Originally posted by Taalib19 Taalib19 wrote:

Jenni

A war has forever, been going on with the Pale Arabs vs. Dark skinned people of which the Prophit Muhammad himself was. His family was totally sought after and killed by these same professors of the faith.

Are you saying that the Prophet sallahu alayhi wassalaam was dark skinned??? Your reference?

The first Khalifah Abu Bakr was chosen because of wealth and being a Pale Arab.

You are wrong.... he was chosen by the companions because they knew that the  prophet himself wished this (though he never said it in words).

So before we go painting a picture of how beautiful Islam is we should recognize these facts.

Islam is beautiful, racism has no place in islam, if some muslims are racists, then they are going beyond the boudaries of islam.

A war has been going on for centuries against people of color. If you ask a Pale Arab the origin of Muhammad (pbuh) he will deny his true origin and say it does not matter just like a Christian does with Jesus. My question is if you are so true to the faith then why lie about its origin? Or for that matter the origin of those that are responsible for it?

Perhaps envy is the real culprit here and like it says in Suratul Faatihaa they wish to deceive.

Could you elaborate what is written in surah fatiha? I didnt quite get you here..

So let's really get our "Diyn," in order and not just the parts we feel comfortable with for a Muslim can also be a "Coverer of the Truth."

correction: not a muslim...a hypocrite is.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2006 at 10:45am

As' Salaamu Alaikum Sister Fatima,

You have stated some valid points regarding some of the reasons immigrants from the East (or Far East) who migrate to Western countries seek out communities that are common to them. You also mention that immigrants from countries that come here are so used to their previous culture in their respective countries that they do not acclimate directly from the previous culture to their present. This is true in some cases.

As an African-American and Muslim I've always constantly made poinmts regarding the racist attitudes by some Muslims. There is really no way I can articulate myself here without someone misunderstanding my point. Hopefully what I say here ill be clear.

My biggest problem with some Muslims (well actually I have many problems) and the community is that racism especially discussing it is taboo in some forums. Some Muslims are made to believe that racism in the Muslim community is not prevelant enough to warrant a global discussion on the issue so its left to the Imams of various communities across the world. Another problem with this line of thinking is that we use America as a litmus test to gauge the importance of discussing racism.

On I.C. so many Muslims say "Well it is not as bad as America." It may be true that racism is not as prevelent as it is in the States but it does exist. The fact that exist should be problematic enough for us to acknowledge it, and discuss it. Racism in the Muslim community is not a new occurence. It existed well before the Prophet Muhammad and even within his existence in Arabia it showed itself in Hadith where Abu Jahl refers to Bilal as the "Son of a slave woman."

Another problem I have in our community is we constantly contradict ourselves. We say its understandable (and right) for Muslims in the East and West to retain their cultural behaviors in matters of marriage (i.e. Marrying someone of the same ethnic group, language etc) because its of a familiarity. Those of you agree with this, reprimand those us who disagree with you. But let us look at the facts here.

Islam is a culture which is commonly shared by all adherents of different ethnic groups. The philosophy of Islam is that, the Muslim community is made to be an example of an egalitarian society. A reflection of God's influence of divine law on earth. If various ethnic gorups within the Muslim community are made to behave in accordance to their own ethnic traditions this could in turn, also influence the religious behavior of some Muslims. An example of the latter we see in the history of the "manifest destiny." I hope you understand this.

I'm sorry, but I'm against using culture as a means to judge another human especially marriage. No wonder we are seen as regressive thinkers because we only think inward. If everytime I was to go in a liquor store to buy soda or snacks or to marry someone of a different ethnic group only to be judged because of my skin tone then our understanding of Islam truly fails. This is why I cannot see how some Muslims allow themselves to let their culture especially their thought on who to marry supercede Islamic thought.

The prophet said:.....Well, it doesn't matter to some Muslims really as long as some Muslims say "A same ethnic relationship is far more successful than people of different ethnic groups." Of course they say this without references but what do I know? This is one of the reasons why I try not to quote the Qur'an or use Allah's name. Much like the Jews I feel that as a community on this earth as of this point we are unworthy of quoting the Qur'an or mentioning Allah's name. Because we are so wrapped up in ourselves we refrain from thinking rationally about life. This is one of the reasons why Muhammad in his state of rejecting polytheism turned away from the materialism he saw in Arabia.

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 3:55am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

I partly agree with most of your points except about quotation of Holy Quran. Brother the problem is much deeper than the skin colours and adhering to native cultures. I only want to say one thing and that is the day when our mosques are as filled on fajar and 'Isha as they are on Jummu'ah, inshaAllah you will see the change.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 7:19am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

Insha'Allah this reaches ALL of my muslim BR's and SR's in  the best of IMAAN!

I really don't know what to make of this thread?

From picnic massacres to whites against blacks to cold hearts and empathy to what we see on tv..........

Here's an idea maybe as an Ummah if we spend less time analyzing and more time giving Dawah we will be in better shape than we are now....Remember Dawah starts with ourselves first and our own actions.....

Ask any muslim do you pray...most will say "Yes"

Ask any muslim do you fast...most will say "Yes"

Ask any muslim do you give Zakat...most will say "Yes"

Ask any muslim do you believe in the last day...All will say "Yes"

Ask any muslim do you go to Jummah Salat....most will say "Yes"

ASK ANY MUSLIM....DO YOU GIVE DAWAH....some will say "Yes"

remember Dawah can be a smile....and a simple as saying...Assalamu'Alaikkum...

Like a row of dominos all lined up all it take is one to make a chain reaction and once it's in motion Allah(swt) knows best where it will end....

You can solve world hunger...war....and racism with a smile.....and with Dawah...before you point fingers and pass judgement look at yourself and your actions and start with yourself and others will follow your example and get more involved and help others...It will happen all it takes is the first domino to topple over.

MasSalaama

Umm Abdelkhalek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic