IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why don’t you ask African Americans  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why don’t you ask African Americans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 9:03am
99antony-Thanks for your refreshing post, I like the perspective you gave the topic. I agree with you about the leadership. Are two big Masjids here and one, led by all middle eastern Arabs and Palestinians, second one led by Pakistanis and Indians. Half of the time we don't even have Eid on the same day in the same city because the two can't agree about the moon sighting. Which means you can have Eid with the Majority Paksitanis or majority Arabs but foget about seeing all your friends on Eid it you mix with more than one group. Finally in spite of many SubSaharan Africans in our area and Eastern European Muslims they have no position or power in the Masjids since these are elected officials, only Arabs or South Asains get elected. With the exception of Humza Yousef who lives in the area and is a White convert who speaks perfect Arabic and therefor has broken through the cultural boundries.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 10:15am

It is a good point you raise with regards to the lack of voice minorities have within the �Masjid hierarchy�, and the problem is not just based on belief/race either. Without wishing to wonder too far off topic, I believe the message of the Masjid, is the message of those who contributed the most financially in both the building and upkeep thereof.

Below is an hadith stating the responsibility the Muslim community should have for all members of its society (with regards to physical wealth). And below that a beautiful exert and hadith about man�s pride and arrogance resulting from an absence of spiritual wealth.

Narrated �Adi bin Hatim {RA}: While I was sitting with Allah�s Messenger {SAW} two persons came to him; one of them complained about his poverty and the other complained about the prevalence of robberies. Allah�s Messenger {SAW} said, �As regards stealing and robberies, there will come a time when a caravan will go to Mecca (from Medina) without any guard. And regarding poverty, The Hour (Day of Judgement) will not be established till one of you wanders about with his object of charity and will not find anyone to accept it�� [Sahih Al-Bukari: Vol. 2: 494]

The Old Testament

Book of Proverbs - 16

1:The preparation of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.

2:All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.

3:Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

4:The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

5:Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

6:By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Narrated Abdullah bin Mus�ad {RA}: Allah�s Messenger {SAW} said. �Whosoever has pride in his heart equal to the weight of an atom (or small ant) shall not enter Paradise.� A person amongst the audience said, �Verily, a person loves that his dress should be beautiful, and his shoes should be beautiful.� The Prophet {SAW} remarked, �Verily, Allah is Most Beautiful and He loves beauty. Pride is to completely disregard the truth, and to scorn (look down upon) the people.� [Sahih Muslim: Book of Faith: Vol. 1: Hadith No. 164]

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:08pm

deleted because i deemed it to be off topic

Edited by 99Antony
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:26pm

edited for the same reason as above

Edited by 99Antony
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:36pm
i would actually like to know IC's view on this issue (because it seems as though we mean nothing), so i have invited fatima to offer us their view (seen as though she is part of the 'IC team'). 
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 5:10am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

JazakAllah khair for inviting me brother, Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala knows alone that every thing which is benefiting ummah as whole is important to us. But some time we dont participate because we might not have something which adds any weight to the thread. Anyway my intake on this issue is our lack of understanding of our beautiful religion. I dont think there is problem of race in muslims alhamdulillah but the problem is lack of practices of religion.

The other day i was surprised to read that only 21% muslims pray regularly, means that above 70% are prefering this short life above the pleasure of their Lord. The brotherhood comes with religion and if majority of us are not paying attention to 'The Pillar of islam' then rest is secondary. When you have Love of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala in your heart then you would love for His sake as well. 

Now why dont we see inter racial marraiges is not as racist issue as it might look like. For marriage every one looks for commonalities to give a better chance to this bond. For practising muslims, most of times there is not much contact between girls and guys so when it comes to marriage, parents are the one arranging it. Now if we realisticly see there are very few people above 40 or 50 who speak english so that restricts their social life with people who speak their language. Another reason is place where you living, where i live about 98% muslims are pakistani origin, another place nearby is about 98% somali muslims. When people came from their native countries they settled with people who were from their region so thats how these communities formed.

But in families who can all speak the local language their is a good percentage of marriage outside the regional boundaries. People who are into their religion want to marry some1 who has similar values as them. I know an egyptian sister married to an english revert brother, a yemeni brother married to an english revert, a somali brother married to an english revert and a pakistani sister married to an english revert. This is because those people dont want to give preference to their culture so its easy to be with people who have not got this burden and know islam as their only culture. I dont think there is any racism amongst the more practising people but problem is we dont have many of those.

I also dont believe that we feel different towards opprssion against white, arab or black muslims. A common person can make dua and i am sure that every one remembers muslims as a whole, as an ummah in their dua. Alhamdulillah i pray that Ya Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala make us muslims straight on your path, having islam in our deeds and imaan in our heart. Resolve us from our troubles and make us united as the first of our generation. I never pray that make pakistani muslims better muslims or anything like that. And as a muslim it should be our practice to have good opinion of other muslims. If i am praying like this then i am sure rest of muslims are too because i know my faults so i know i am not better than any1.

See you talk about darfur, we also got same situation in pakistan, in borderline of balochistan, muslim army killing muslims. I have never started a thread about this, dont mean that i dont think about it or pray about it. Its just that sometimes if you start talking about things like this then others remember oppression against them by other muslims and it creates a rift in the heart. Our tragedy is that we dont have a sincere leadership who could do something about these matters, for us our tool is dua and alhamdulillah Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is best of helpers.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 8:25am

Fatima stated: This is because those people dont want to give preference to their culture so its easy to be with people who have not got this burden and know islam as their only culture.

I believe this were we differ, Islam is beyond culture, it is a message (and a warning) for all mankind and jinn. To suggest Islam is some how cultural (and hence belongs to one culture as a pose to another) exposes the very essence of why the divisions between Muslim�s are so deep rooted.

Holy Qur�an

Saba'

28. And We have not sent you (O Muhammad SAW) except as a giver of glad tidings and a Warner to all mankind, but most of men know not.

For me it is an insult that you have suggested that I seek to become Muslim because I have no culture of my own, I am happy with my culture and its (scientific) problem solving credibility. You make me ask myself why I strive to learn about you, when you seem so nonchalant about all cultures other than your own [and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another: Qur�an 49:13]. And this is not about opening rifts in people�s hearts, its about people not caring for other than their own.

Below is the address for a page entitled�..

Sources from Quran & Hadith, For Creating The Islamic State / Ummah

http://www.islamic-world.net/islamic-state/evidence.htm

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 9:33am

for too long there was a spell cast upon me, from this day forth you have no right to dicate the terms of religion to me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic