IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why don’t you ask African Americans  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why don’t you ask African Americans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Abeer23 Abeer23 wrote:

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Abeer23 That is your opinion, I go to college with some of the black african so called Lost boys from Sudan and they have a very different story of murder, opression, prejudice, and having to flee thier homes with nothing. So I think your opinion may be biased. Ask the people of Darfur about how they feel about the Sudanese government.

Abeer23 I deal with racism in America all the time, My husband is very dark skinned south Asain and my kids are mixed.People ask me if my children are adopted and I have to allways expain where their dad is from and get lots of looks. We get stared at especially when we leave California. So I am living it, I am trying to change it and there are lots of good people of all faiths trying to change things. That does not change what is happening in the rest of the world. You may have had a good experience here but alot of people have not. And you may not know about all the inside stuff of helping each other out with jobs, and alot of other things that people keep in their own cirlce. Also how many African Americans of Africans did you see married to Arabs or Asians? I agree with some of what you say, but don't compare apples to oranges.And your opinion is biased.

No Jenni that wasn't just my opinion.  I gave you FACTS, that I know you are unaware of due to your arrogance in truly seeking to understand what's going on Sudan.  My beliefs are not biased in the least.  Why?  Because my closest friends are from both the Darfur Region, the Capitol (orignally from the North), and also from the South (I taught English while in Sudan, and the Sudanese Christians take Studying English very seriously).  I see what's going on in Sudan much more objectively than you do.

The examples that you have given me show me how you are a victim of racism in American, not how you're ACTING TO CHANGE IT.  Right now, what you're doing is making fitna (or trying to make fitna) amongst muslims.  I must inform you though, the zandaqa movement is not new to the Islamic community; keep in mind that Allah is watching and listening to you.  I'll tell you for the last time, backbiting is HARAM. 

Actually, Abdeer while I don't disagree with you that some sudnese are probably happy but Jenni is right also, many sudanese arrive where I am because of what is happening, of what Jenni has mentioned. Stop telling her that she is wrong.

Quote And to answer your question, I know lots of African-American Women married to Arab men, as well as some Arab women married to African-American men.  In my personal experience, I notice the men tend to marry foreigners more than the women do, which is understandable (people are more protective of their baby girls).  Salam

That's funny you tell Jenni that she is wrong but at the same time you use personal personal experience to  well you experience some thing different while jenni experiences something different to, opposites but the difference is that you think you are right because you don't see it, which you have said by the way. But jenni and others do. IT does not make them wrong  or that they don't have the facts, they do. And that is a fact.

I haven't exactly experience racism either just like you Abdeer, but I do see it. Unfortunately you and some others don't see it, but are too much in setting others right when they are right as well.

You say you are from africa but live in america (i think) which would make you african american, Israfil is african american to not once have to opposed him who agrees with Jenni, why is that? You both are african american but have opposing views, shouldn't you be at logger heads then?

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:40am
Hanan, I speak of my kids as half or mixed because they are. That is just a fact. They are 50% mixed northern european ancestry and 50% pakistani punjabi ancestry. They know and understand it, and to not admit it would be dishonest to them. Of course they are whole people, but we can't pretend that thier parents are the same race when their friends started asking them questions about us in preschool.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 9:17am

but shouting and twisting someone�s arm into submission isn�t going to get you anywhere

And those who are opposing aren't doing the same??

I don't believe Jenni was twisting anybody's arm into submission, make people see otherwise, yes submission, no. As for shouting sometimes you need to shout above the crowd to be heard, and it can be frustrating when no one understands.

Of course this can be said of the opposing side.

But really what has happened here is both have talked about their experiences and brought facts but since both wouldn't see, you kept on cancelling each other out with you are wrong, i am right. 

Both are right, stuff on both sides happens and that is a fact.  

and in between i think my quiry some posts back got forgotten

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 11:02am

I think that people are affected by the societies around them. We are influenced by TV, the news etc. I have met a number of Arabs who will not move into "black" neighborhoods, even though we have, here in DC, the highest percentage of black millionaires in the world.  How can they not be somewhat influenced by this? Even on a subconscious level?  As someone wrote, Moslems are human. Just like every one else.

To a degree Jenni, you are raising, in my mind, a bigger question, why are we so affected by things. I mean that we are influenced by things around use. I can tell I am. To a degree that is very natural. One of my parents was recently telling me that her daughter, who is six, already wants to dress and look a certain way. And she started a new school where basically she is the only blond child in the class. And she was complaining to her mom why she cannot have dark hair! Her mother who is very open minded and has traveled thought in a way it as great, as it is going against societal norms. So we cannot eliminate our human instinct to compare and contrast, to want to belong. What has to happen is we recognize it for what it is and not participate in it as adults to the best degree we can.

I often find it interesting that when people describe a situation �there was a black woman�� And I�ll ask, �what does being black have to do with it?� 99% of the time the way a person looks has nothing to do with the story.  And it is true..  we have used these words too often that ultimately limits us. It is the same thing as when Moslem is used as a category when it may have nothing to do with the story. I don�t hear in the news �A Christian man shot and killed his neighbor.� But if the person was Moslem watch it happen. It is the same when you hear a story you rarely here.. This �white guy sat in my seat.� But if he non-white, we will generalize about how he looked, as if that has anything to do with it.

As far as international.. I think Africa is the forgotten continent in the world. When we think of travel, how many people want to visit it? Do we think of it as anything other then "backwards?"  How many people can name more then 5 countries? The people of wealthy countries do not see it as valuable and worth the time and effort.  Then if there is less attention, there is less publicity about it, and fewer people have heard about it.   I think in a sense Jenni you ask a good question, why is not more being done for people? Certain areas seem to be the playground of the weapons dealers and some western countries and China.  Plus Palestine seems easy to �understand.� There is an obvious oppressor and oppressed. And in fact in many areas it is complex. How does one really help?

I also think that we cannot use terms that we use here in the US and apply them to other areas. Because we, here in the US, have our own history, including a specific type of racism and oppression. When we attempt to transplant it to other places with their different histories and experiences it does not work. That may be why when we use the term �racism� it cannot be applied to a different situation.  It is important to allow for people to define their own experiences.   

Peace

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 1:09pm
Angel and Hayfa thanks for your comments.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 5:48pm

Candid wrote:

"I suggest that everyone ignore Israfil and Jenii from now on. These are the type of people who create differences between Muslims by whining over their own personal issues (at the pretext of addressing the issues of the whole Muslim community) and blaming all the Muslims in the world for it."

Candid I care not whether people ignore me! Truth is truth.

aus View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 10:51pm
Peace to all,

I think you should all come to kenya,mombasa,where i live!..im a black muslim myself,married to an arab girl and thats what has been happening for centuries!..it so happened for long that the arabs and the local community intermarried and a whole new language was borne "swahili"....which is a mix of arab,bantu,hindi and portugueese!!!...so.the thing is,as long as islam is exercised in an environment where theres no suspicion and hype....so many things will be easy.Islam has tackled the issue of racism with ease and its often repeated in so many hadiths and quotations from the Quran.We all know what the prophet said about discrimination of any kind..he called it "odour"...any kind of assabiya is odour.

I know muslims have little bit had to streghthen family ties than muslim ties,even when the faiths are diffrent,but we should change,here in kenya,we demonstrate,cry,weep and fight with the kenyan police whenever theres somthing affecting our muslim brothers and sisters anywhere in the world,we did for kashmir,we did for afghanistan,we did for iraq,we ddo for palestine much more than daily,infact i personally have broken two tv sets by the anger and fury in me when i saw dead bodies of young kids in jenin massacre so much so that i through a bottle of soda through the t.v screen,we did for darfur and recently we did for lebabon.....why?..because the prophet said that the muslim ummah is like a body,when one part of the body aches,the rest of the body feels the pain.Allah (SWT) says that the best among you (muslims) is one who has taqwa and not anything else.If its marriage,we should get examples from the swahabas,we have bilal a black former slave with hard hair who married the daughter of a rich arab during teh days of the prophet.

Indeed the problem nowdays is the lack of a proper islamic leadership that can bring muslims together,than can make muslims hold onto the rope of Allah,and that leader is the khalifah,inshaalah let us all fight for a khilafah and indeed we will strongly be bonded without any kind of differences emanting in any form inshalah.

Jazzakallahu khairan.

Aus

KHILAFA IS THE ANSWER!
aus View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 10:56pm
Peace to all,

so many typo errors!!!.lol..bear with me...i write through the mouth sometimes!!

Peace

Aus
KHILAFA IS THE ANSWER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic