IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why don’t you ask African Americans  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why don’t you ask African Americans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

By the way, how many of you would invite a convert who is African American to your home? I know there are lots of converts out there, but I never see them at any Arabs, or Southasians home. Brothers in the Masjid, but outside the Masjid your on your own!

Maybe I am upset, but I am tired of people being in denial. I have no problem calling an American on the carpet about the war in Iraq and what a total load of crap it is, and I also have the right to call my own community on the carpet and air their dirty laundry. I live in one of the most liberal educated parts of the country and I still see the Muslim community as split, divisive, secluded by culture, race, education class and financial class. Even more so than the larger American community.

When I married my husband it was a huge scandal because I am a white convert and he is south asain. I come from a poor family with a policeman father and a mother that never went to college. He came from a wealth Military family. He had a masters degree I had a community college degree. He got a huge amout of heat and trouble for wanting to marry me. My family(who are mormons) accepted him more quickly and with open arms much faster that his did!

You talk about Muslim Community split ---I think subconsciously you  might be comparing  the Muslim community with your Mormon community and that is  not  going to be helpful. The subcontinental culture is caste based and you should not expect any idealistic  response from the nouveau riche crowd you are dealing with. They made the money and they want to behave in a certain way, that what everybody does in the USA. Don't you notice the poor class neighborhoods are different than the upper class and far removed from the former. The rich Muslims don't live next to poor Muslims, it is the American way. This can only change when they will have any true need to create a community of their own and there is remote possibility for that where they can live together. They have a baggage of bondage and they are satisfied in that.

You said your husband come from a wealthy military family, you need to understand the African issues sitting home. I can't believe a poor country like Pakistan can create wealthy military families unless the military officers are robbing the country blind. The Pakistani military dictatorship is raping the country as if God has forsaken the place. How a military officer can become wealthy without bribery or land grabs; can not happen though honest living
Do you understand how the dictatorship operate?
And why it is happening cuz they are still working for the old colonial masters. They are bas***ds and scum of the earth. They are just awful models in the Muslim countries.
 Now it is similar situation is in Africa you have dictatorships and all the monkey business recurrent from the colonialism. It is again the politics of money and corruption in the dark continent. Your tirade is not gonna make an iota of difference.
The African post colonial problems are too intractable for your south Asian crowd to handle or even know what to make of it.
I don't think you understand the African problem yourself.
The doctor  diagnoses the problem first and then calls for the right medicine. You need to define the problem in clear terms first and then the solution of it.
And the debate on internet is also called the running of Special Olympics and even if you win you know what you will be still?

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 7:08am
Abeer23 when I brough up the issue of female circumsicion people did the same thing to me. And the topic was closed. I would rather have Muslims argue and debate and crtitsize each other than our dirtly laundry being aired all over the western media. Why is is when anyone is critical of what some Muslims do no one ever accepts it and everyone gets angry and then someone blames isreal? You are totally irrational. Who am I backbiting against? To backbite I would have to give you a persons name, you don't even know who I am or who any of the people who I am talking about are. And by the way, if Sudan is so great why have 300-400 thousand people dead and many more fleeing into Chad? And why isn't this great government helping them. Don't accuse me of anything Abeer, you are going too far. It is my right to speak up the way I see fit and not live in a fairy tale that "Oh we all love each other, oh isn't it special" What a load of crap. Some people may feel that way, but honestly most people have not been treated that way. And most muslims have had another Muslim discriminate against them in some way. I have a clean heart and I know that by getting people angry then MAYBE THEY WILL PROVE ME WRONG!!! Because on this issue I would love to be wrong!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 7:12am
Abeer23, Most African American people think of Africans as thier brothers and sisters regardless of religon. Oprah refers to her African brothers and sisters all the time. While I am thier sister in faith, I am not thier sister in the same way. So please stop trying to pick on me!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 7:17am
Signreader-My husbands family got land from the military because his father died in the 1971 India Pakistan war. He was a high ranking official and killed in battle on the front lines . That land was given as compensation to his family, wife and 3 kids. Then it was worth little now it is worth a fortune only because they got lucky that it is prime real estate in Lahore. If it weren't for that his mother only got a 2000 rupee a month pension. So don't assume everyone is on the take. My husbands brother and sister are both hard working Physicians. I agree their is alot of corruption in Pakistan and I have complained about that before and people tell me to fix my own government or mind my own business!
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 7:54am

This is really to all.

Originally posted by candid candid wrote:

I suggest that everyone ignore Israfil and Jenii from now on. These are the type of people who create differences between Muslims by whining over their own personal issues (at the pretext of addressing the issues of the whole Muslim community) and blaming all the Muslims in the world for it.

hey, now that is not fair, and Jenni has addressed that not all muslims, she may have generalised in the begining but has corrected herself. There have been others who have agreed with Jenni who have posted. And also she has said that she has recieved pms from others who agree with her but won't share here because they are afraid ( i guess from the backlash from those who disagree as is what is happening now!, and I can understand that quite frankly, some muslims here don't make it a nice place to converse with each other. And quite frankly that is a huge problem among muslims here at this board.

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:14am

Hold fast to the rope of Allah, and be not divided

Edited by Hanan
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:17am

Hold fast to the rope of Allah, and be not divided

Edited by Hanan
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 8:38am

Hanan, I appreciate your kinder response. And while you may think I have been discriminated against, well maybe yes a little. But let me say that with my white europrean face(my ancestors are nordic people), blue eyes, blond hair and being rather tall. I have found that things come fairly easy to me and people treat me rather well. When I was younger I would get every job I applied for, my teachers allways took an interest in me. Even today living in an area where white people are the minority asains and arabs allways comment on how lucky I am to have big blue eyes and straight hair, and not to have thick bushy eyebrows. Meanwhile I am looking at them thinking you don't know how beautiful you are to me. And I love your black curly hair and thick eyebrows. I think they are crazy. I have many friends who wear a hijab and still lighten thier hair to blond because they are so self consious that thier husbands are seeing all the pretty blond white girls on T.v. I think being white gives me huge advantage in life. And it is one that I don't think is fairly given! Some asian women are trying to bleach thier skin to be more fair and in Southeast Asia the more fair skinned a woman is the easier it is to get her married. This is a reality. So if white is great, than what about black? That is my whole point. All I am saying is that dark skinned people here in the u.s. are often margenilized in and outside the Muslim communtiy with african american converts being the most excluded. And people in poor African countries recieve less help per person than people in poor arab or asian countries despite they are more needy. Why is this??? I don't think it is fair, and I feel Muslims are not doing enough for them and when I bring it up in conversation people don't even want to talk about it. I really believe sadly many people are more happy to ignore the whole African continent in general. Except Bill Gates and Warren Buffet and they aren't Muslim as of yet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic