IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why don’t you ask African Americans  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why don’t you ask African Americans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salih88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 2:10pm

Asalamualaikum,

I think it has do with Western culture. Yes, in America  and other "Westernized" countries there is a mix and some incouragement of the sharing of cultures but, in the media we have this segragation of races. For example comedy, every comic on tv has some stereotipicle joke in his act and people, though they know there joking, get ideas about races that are false. Aslo, for instance at the university I attend we have all types of racially didvided groups which fosters the seperation of the races.

Yes i am African American but i am a slave of Allah first, this is what Muslim don't realize. Many Muslims are trying to adopt the Western way of thinking thinking it is best but we already have the best example from the Rasuallah(saw) and he companions who consisted of people of many races. We have to realize that the greatest bond we share is our love for Allah, not where we come from or even blood. What makes our Ummah special is the mix of races but thats not what brings us together.

It starts with you(everyone in the forum) and me. We have to foster that love between a small group, bring others in, and spread it to the leadership. Thats where the main problem lies. Many people who lead masjids want to worry about their community not realizing it is a global community. Often these masjids are split up into racial masjids. Black, Saudi, Pakistani, Afgani, etc. I love going to other masjids to meet different muslims and it hurts to see people shun those who they should love because of where they come from . If you say La ilalaha Ilallah then you are my bro/sis.

Salih

P.S. I want to apologize if my reply was all over the place it makes me mad when the muslims treat each other worse then they treat non-muslims.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 3:00pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Herjihad, while I commend you efforts with your friend, you are in the minority. You may very well be not prejudice(I beleive you are very open and loving to all Muslims) but that is not the case of what most people do.

Bismillah and Salaams,

i am not trying to be racially diverse.  it just happens amongst muslims with hearts who are not so judgmental of each other and are accepting of each other's differences and similarities.

i proffer that your comparision is foolish and needs to stop.  injustice needs to stop and these comaparisons of who is more in pain and has more suffering are not productive.

read left to tell by a survivor of darfur.  you would be surprised that your assumptions are not supported by one survivor.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 3:23pm
Herjihad, I don't understand your point at all. And who is most needy is valid. The world health organization looks at and mantains these statistics. You are getting emotional and I am just being realistic. The poorest nations in the world are countries like Mali and Niger in Africa. Last year when I did a post on it and sent emails to my friends about the famine about to kill Millions in the horn of Africa none of them knew of it. On this site many had never even heard of the country let alone the problem. We are talkin millions of Muslims starving to death. Yet everyone knows about Palestine, or Afghanistan. WHY????There has to be a reason that some are ignored while others are protested for. While some get money from the Saudis and other rich gulf states while others get none. What is the reason? Again I will say it is Racism. An Arab will help an Arab before he will help a poor black African. And I believe no matter what anyone says that is wrong!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 3:24pm
Herjiad, again you did not read my post, I did not say you are trying to be racially diverse. So please read what I really said.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 3:34pm

Salih88, I agree with you. I wan't things to change but am irritated by peoples slow acceptance that there is a problem. I have said that Islam itself as a faith is in no way racist. I am saying that Muslims have come to love thier own tribe, clan, kin , racial, ethnic group too much. They have forgotten about helping each other and for some reason the poorest blackest people in the world are forgotten the most. I want people to wake up and see that Africa is on the verge of utter desolation destruction and ruin and it is happening under thier noses. ANd I want Muslims to care about them as much as thier Arab or Asian brothers and sisters. Finally every poor person in the world REGARGDLESS of thier religon should matter to us. Every child is born a Muslim and dies a Muslim. Every poor suffering person that could be help could potentially become a Muslim. We could start in our own communities.

Last year when the Earthquake happened in Pakistan and it was all I heard about in the Masjid. I REALLY COMPLAINED that hey, the horn of Africa has Millions on the brink on starvation dying as we speak. They had never even mentioned it. Finally they did, maybe only one time. But they did. Progress, but too slow!

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

I WOULD MUCH rather live in Palstine than Sudan!

That's because you've never lived in Sudan and you know NOTHING about Sudan or Sudanese people.  I lived there, it was wonderful, the people, environment, lifestyle, everything.  You began your rant about the Darfur issue, but the truth is you are ignorant of the Sudanese government.  The government that you just looooooooove attacking has opened its borders to millions of refugees from Africa.  But ofcourse you wouldn't know that because you've never been there.  The descendents of the great islamic scholar from Negeria, Uthman Dan Fodyu, fled to Sudan when they were being persecuted in Nigeria, and they're still there!  Oh and not to mention the University of Africa in Khartoum has THOUSANDS of Africans studying and living FOR FREE, the government picks up the tab.  The Sudanese government has done more for their muslim brothers and sisters than most.

Like I said, if you or anyone else realy hates racism so much, DEAL WITH IT IN AMERICA.  Or are you going to pretend it doesn't exist.  Are you going to wait until your husband is taken form work beaten and thrown in jail without any ritghts.  Or until your daughter is gang raped, or your son is killed because some racist bigot figured "half breeds" aren't human.  That's the reality of the U.S.  This is the mentality of many (not all ofcourse) Americans.  So protect your family, and start working on racism in AMERICA.  I have non-muslim friends in the States that have gone through this.  It's a reality, avail yourself of it sister.

Your post is called "ask the A-A."  Well technically I'm African American because my Dad's Ethiopian and mom is American.  So let's see, what's been my experience.  I grew up around lots of foreign muslims mostly Africans, Arabs, Iranians, Afhanis, and Pakistanis.  I was never mistreated or made an outcaste!  As a matter of fact my most beloved teacher was a sheikh from Lebanon.  I studied at his foot from the age of three until he passed, rahimahu allah (I was about 19).  Racism????  I sure didn't experience it.   The university I study in is international.  My friends/sisters are mostly from North Africa, East Africa, the Middle East, and Pakistan,and a few Asians.  Racism????  I sure don't see it.  On the other hand my maternal uncle was shot to death by white police officers in L.A (and for your information he wasn't in a gang, doing drugs, in possession of a weapon etc.).  Racism????  OH YEAH!  My point is DEAL WITH RACISM IN AMERICA!

One last thing, it is very annoying when you all refer to the poeple in Darfur as "black muslims" or "black Sudanese."  I understand that this is what you're hearing on the news and old habbits are hard to break.  But try to remember everyone in  sudan is BLACK, and though some are mixed with arabs (from way back when), they are all AFRICAN, and with the exception of a some christians (both from the south and other parts of sudan) they're all MUSLIM.  Excessive labelling is just another "divide and conquer" strategy.  It started from British colonization in the region.  We're muslims we should be better than that.

Jenni, if the Muslims around you are racist (and prejudice is probably a more appropiate label) it has nothing to do with their being Muslim, it's because they're HUMAN.  They're still your muslim brohters and sisters.  You don't have the right to backbite them.  Make da'wa to them.  Invite the sisteres to your house and make a halaqa for discussion on the issue (change starts with the mothers!).  Or, go to the mosque on Friday, after the Khutba, stand up and talk to the sisters.  I have a lot of friends who do this at the university mosque (just don't talk so loud that the brothers can hear).  You can make flyers and pass them out.  Or you could start a fundraising committee with some of the sisters (sell baked goods, baby-sitting club etc.) and then send the money to the country you feel is being neglected by the Ummah.  There are a lot of things you can do.

Salam

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:56pm

Bismillah and Salaams,

So I asked someone whom I thought might fit your theme of Ask African Americans, and she said she is black and Native American.  But she agrees with you that many Muslims are racist.  Interesting.

I disagree, but then I'm not African American either so you weren't really asking me.

Sister, I'm not being emotional with you.  My emotions are busy elsewhere with my family and friends.

Peace out.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:03pm

Ak, I love you like a step-brother (if there is such a love of this kind) but the following comment pissed me off and was Bull**** and no offense but I'll tell you why I thought it was bull**** you said:

"Also African countries have lot of resources, like Gold, Diamond,Oil,Copper & Ivory" You followed this comment with the question: "What do Palestinians have?"

This is exactly my point of how Muslims are ignorant to the problems in Africa and I'm surprised....err....wait lemme change that, not surprised that Herjihad agreed with you. I think its unfair for non-blacks to comment on a black problem just as its unfair to other ethnic groups that blacks comment on an ethnic problem therefore I'll refrain from henceforth commenting on the Israeli/Palestinian issue. But what I have issue with is people comparing suffering using additives such as the resources one country contains as a litmus test of who is priviledged more and who suffers more.

Ak that comment was really offensive. Do you honestly think those Africans control those resources? the Dutch in the south has in fact raped the Africans and in their schools retell the story of the Dutch people as if they were the first in habitants of that continent. Africans do not control their own resoruces in Africa contrary to what you may think. Every heard of apartheid? Every heard of African slavery? Yes it still exist. The people with the power and the money are not the Africans. Before you spew such garbage please note the sufferings of those people over there and not justify the great importance of another groups suffering (in this case you note the Palestinians) by comparing it to resources (in this case you use gold, diamond etc). I don't mean to get emotional but the two realities are not the same.

Again it goes back to the suffering of then Palestinians! You act like their suffering is the worse of its kind. Many human beings suffered. Jews, Blacks, Arabs, Turks, Armeninans most human groups have suffered. But comparing resources and using it as a litmus test to judge the importance of anothers suffering is in my humble opinion garbage thinking.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic