IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - who or what is Imran?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

who or what is Imran?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who or what is Imran?
    Posted: 13 November 2006 at 7:32pm
35. Behold! a woman of 'Imran said: "O my Lord! I do dedicate unto Thee what is in my womb for Thy special service: So accept this of me: For Thou hearest and knowest all things."

Mauri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 6:55am
I am not taking issue with that particular passage.  I am reading the Quran and keep seeing the word, "Imran" and don't know what it means.  Can someone please tell me?

Thank you.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 7:47am

To the best of my knowledge, 'Imran was the husband of the woman speaking in the verse you quoted.  In other words, 'Imran was the father of Maryam (Mary) and Maryam was the mother of 'Isa (Jesus).  Hope that helps.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Mauri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 8:34am
Thank you, ummziba.
There seems to be two families..the family of Abraham and the family of Imran.  I am familiar with Abraham, but have never heard of Imran.  Is he ever referred to by another name that I might recognize?

33. Allah did choose Adam and Noah, the family of Abraham, and the family of 'Imran above all people,-

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 10:29am

Originally posted by Mauri Mauri wrote:

I am familiar with Abraham, but have never heard of Imran.  Is he ever referred to by another name that I might recognize?

Sorry, I do not know the answer to your question.  Insha'allah (Allah willing), someone else might be able to anwser it for you or point you in the right direction for finding it.  Give it some time, often posts don't get answered for a while, until someone comes along that has some knowledge to pass on about an inquiry.  Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.

Peace, ummziba.

Mauri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 12:15pm
Thank you, ummziba.  You have helped me more than you realize...because I was afraid.  That was the reason I posted again to say that the verse wasn't an issue with me.  You have relieved that fear a great deal just by acknowledging me.  For that, I am deeply grateful.

I have found these on the internet:

Why Imram ? the word is gaelic and means navigation, foreign travel.

Imram = term from Celtic Shamanism for otherworld journeyworking

In the Koran, the name of the family of Akhenaten [Pharaoh and regent of Egypt who moved to Tel-Amarna] and his second wife, Kiya is Imram.

Based upon that, I am thinking that Imram might be the "wanderer....sojourner....one from another "dimension" like an angel or like the Magi (from a far country) who recognized Jesus as a baby in the manger whereas the Jews did not recognize him even after he was a grown man and doing miracles.   I can see a similarity in those who do not recognize Muhammed as the prophet promised in the Bible.

Mauri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 12:18pm
I don't know why some of that text appeared larger than the rest.  I was just copying and pasting.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 3:05pm

Dear Mauri,

Please don't ever be wary to ask any questions that come from sincere seeking of the truth!  Surely some may answer in a negative way, but be patient and perhaps an honest question will eventually receive an honest answer.

I have been trying to find more, but it is very difficult because the word 'Imran is in the title of a chapter of the Qur'an (chapter 3 Al-'Imran); so in any search engine you end up with tons and tons of hits, most of which occur because of a reference to the chapter and not the man!  Very frustrating!

Anyway, I did find this little bit that might explain a bit more about how 'Imran is part of Abrahams family, it comes from a site called understanding-islam.org.  I have edited the piece to show the relevent bits, feel free to visit there and browse some more if you wish.  I for one will leave this topic to someone (hopefully) who might come along and enlighten both of us!

Topic: Translation of Aal Imraan with Explanatory Notes (33-63)
Translation by: Moiz Amjad
Date: 2-Jan-2006

[These[1] Nazarenes debate you concerning Jesus, the son of Mary.] Indeed God selected Adam, Noah, the family of Abraham and the family of Imraan[2] for the guidance of others,[3] preferring them over [all else in] the entire world. They were the progeny, one of the other[4] and [God is fully aware of whatever guidance they gave to others and whatever they did during their lives, because] God is All-Hearing, All-Knowing. (33 - 34)

[1] Here ends the preface of the Surah. From here onwards, the Qur'an has commented upon the beliefs of the Nazarenes and has completely established the flaws entailed in them. Thus, just like Surah Al-Baqarah was the Surah of Itmam al-Hujjah - i.e. the severance of all excuses for rejection - for the Banu Israel, this Surah, Aal Imraan, is a Surah of Itmam al-Hujjah for the Nazarenes.

[2] As has been clarified in the following verses. Imraan was the father of Mary (pbuh). Thus, even though the family of Imraan was part of the family of Abraham (pbuh), it is because of the significance of the family of Imraan in the context of Jesus (pbuh) that it is mentioned separately.

[3] This refers to God's selection and appointment of Adam and Noah (pbut) as prophet and messenger in their individual capacities and then his appointment of the family of Abraham (pbuh) and the family of Imraan - being a part of the family of Abraham (pbuh) - as witnesses of God's justice, in their collective capacities.

[4] This is a reminder to the addressees that these people were all born to generations of human beings. The family of Imraan were all the progeny of Abraham who, in turn, was himself born to generations of humans reaching Adam (pbuh).

I wish you all the best in your search for that which you are seeking!

Peace, ummziba.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic