IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Peace, Patience, Purpose  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peace, Patience, Purpose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peace, Patience, Purpose
    Posted: 13 November 2006 at 1:45pm

Salaam Ladies!

I'm sure most of you have heard sayings such as " Patience is a virtue."

I hear Imam's preach that "Islam is the religion of peace." Yet, many of us do not live in peace and many of awake to quite violent, turbulent, unstable, enviournments. Some live in their minds spending allot of time in their head running negative tapes? over and over again.

What does a state of peace look like? what does it feel like? how do you know you have achieved an inner and external state of peace? how important is living in peace important to you?

Allah through out the Qur'an constantly reminds the believers to be patient and " to seek help through prayer and patience." Yet, waiting out hardship, tolerating crisis's, controlling anexity, worry, and doubt, make it difficult to be patient.

What has life taught you about the virtue of patience? Do you ever enjoy being patient?

And finally, Allah tells us that we were created to worship him, yet, I find many Muslims young and old alike, confused about what their purpose is, it's as if they feel they have no real meanging for themselves.

What do you believe your purpose is and how does it contribute to worshipping Allah?

I know people can't respond to all questions but I'm enjoying learning, and getting to know others.

Salaam

Mrs. Dia
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 3:30am

salaams ummie aminata

these are indeed hard hitting questions that u pose and i wish i could get the answers as well. the part where u mention that most of us live in our minds and play the negative tape over and over again. in that one sentence u have summed up my life.

UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 8:21am

wa alaikum salaam Rookiyah

Thanks for responding.  I do know the anserws to the questions in relation to my life and family, however, these things may mean different things to different people. I love to celebrate real diversity- that is diversity of thought- I celebrate differences. I want to talk about the issues that are missing from halaqa's and Khutbahs. I want to know what others feel and think.

I believe everybody has struggled with negativity which for many may be depression disguised. I have been there and done that. I get better and stronger every year. Here are some books I found to helpful:

1. Attitudes of Gratitude: How to Give and Receive Joy Everyday of Your Life by M. J. Ryan
  2. The Power of Patience: How to Slow the Rush and Enjoy More Happiness, Success, and Peace of Mind Every Day by M. J. Ryan
  3. Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E. Seligman
  4. What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement Learning to Accept Who You Are (Fawcett Book) by Martin E. Seligman

I also think that Tawwasuf is a wonderful psychology in reforming the self. What I like so much about it is that it requires you to kill your ego. Some people misunderstand this to be self-esteem. By trying to remain focused on Allah instead of even your self or others; trying to remain grateful and in constant state of remebrance is a good way to prevent depression.

Allah has given me a many ego slap downs! And I finally got the point! When ever I feel it creeping up on me I try to catch my self!

I will share my thoughts on these questions later, I just wanted to hear from other sisters.

Salaam

Mrs. Dia
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 10:16am

I hear Imam's preach that "Islam is the religion of peace." Yet, many of us do not live in peace and many of awake to quite violent, turbulent, unstable, environments. Some live in their minds spending allot of time in their head running negative tapes? over and over again.

There are too many questions that are good! My lunch break is almost gone J

The tapes are from our upbringing. Most of what we hear about ourselves is quite negative.  We get grated, rated, evaluated and judged as children. We are always being given �help� to improve. Which is not a bad thing to a degree but then it puts into our heads fairly negative tapes. This in turn, really affects our lives.  AS you said we do not live lives of peace. Sometimes I often feel myself on an island as these oceans and currents go around and around. How much backbiting, negative competition, judgements do we all face each day? How can this not but affect us to some degree? We are human after all.

How often people get caught up on what happened before.. we can replay a slight a hurt? How often do you hear people talk about these people did bad to my people and you find our it was 120  or even 500 years ago. Not that history is not important to learn from� but over emphasis can be a problem.  

What does a state of peace look like? what does it feel like? how do you know you have achieved an inner and external state of peace? how important is living in peace important to you?

Look like.. well there are so many images actually.. I may turn poetic.   To me it is a night snowfall, my sleeping cat, the smell of a wet fall day, it is the Andes mountains, or the kids I teach laughing having a good time.

How do you know about achieving it.. well I think it is truly rare to have it all the time. That is the challenge to being human. I feel I have had true moments.  But to be completely unaffected by things is difficult. Plus never mind our hormones and own emotional needs. I think that, this may sound weird, but you must embrace life, the good, the bad, and the ugly. For what we do not truly understand is why there are such terrible  things. How often do we wonder about the suffering of the innocent.. We look at tragedy and it makes us think.  Often we think it is terrible to have pain and suffering. And the thing is can we embrace it? That suffering is life.

How important: I strive to be internally peaceful and more with others as well. I do fail often. But that is what we are here for. Nothing wrong with failing.  It is like pick yourself up and try again.

PS: great list on the books!

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 8:24pm

How much backbiting, negative competition, judgements do we all face each day?

You know sister, I read an article in JUMMAH magazine that said we experience over I believe the number was 20,ooo assualts on our self-esteem everyday. No wonder so many people need zoloft to just wake up.

How often people get caught up on what happened before.. we can replay a slight a hurt? How often do you hear people talk about these people did bad to my people and you find our it was 120  or even 500 years ago.

so true

To me it is a night snowfall, my sleeping cat, the smell of a wet fall day, it is the Andes mountains, or the kids I teach laughing having a good time.

Ma'sha'Allah  I love hearing my Muslim sister's talk like this.

Often we think it is terrible to have pain and suffering. And the thing is can we embrace it? That suffering is life.

I often wonder, where did this attitude that you don't have to struggle or suffer come from? I'm trying to figure it out? Have we been sold on McDondals, I-Pods, and vibrators as a society that we don't expect struggle or hard work? Is it any wonder why people divorce? Is it any wonder why parents have severely disturbed children with all types of conduct disorders?

Tawwasuf, deals with this by telling people " hey look crush your ego instead of blow it up." May Allah help me to do this. But what I've found is that if you pay attention to your own thoughts you see your ego in a way you didn't notice before. If you experience injustice, hardship, pain, or anything else who ever said you have to feel or be: 

angry, hateful, frusterated

depressed discouraged disappointed

jealous, envious, vengeful

The devil didn't make you do it, we choose to listen and than we choose to follow those whispers.Allot of our inner jihad is talking back to the voices, standing up to them and fighting to not become undone.

Salaam

Mrs. Dia
ofsorts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ofsorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2006 at 5:10am

Assalamualaikim sisters,

I agree that we are faced with so much challenges almost every day. As what Sister Hayfa has written, I, too fail most of the time but I try to pick myself up and learn from the mistake.Only Allah knows why I have done what I did instead of what should rightfully be done.I am faced with voices that question my integrity as a Muslim which I am still striving harder to become a better one. The challenges, even the slightest can sometimes put me into a debate with myself, my beliefs and in being a better Muslim. Anger, jealousy, selfishness sometimes tend to overwhelm me and cloud my better judgement.

What I am trying to say is that I feel so relieved that there are also people who are going through the same thing as I am, and that there is a post for us to share our thoughts and emotions.It feels good to just read the words of comfort from all of you. :)

niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2006 at 12:02pm

Assalamu'Alaikum Sisters,

Mash'Allah another great topic......

I would have to say from a parents perspective that if you don't have patients and good manners your children won't either and that is why it is so important to reach a level of good manners and curtisies before we reach the point of being in a position of shaping and molding young minds.....

I do have great patients that are constantly tested as all parents are. Alhamdulillah, it brings me great peace, direction, and pride to be able to set a good example for my children each day even if it's a struggle....

The one time in my life that peace brought me the greatest pleasure was while I was laboring to deliver all 4 of the boys. I would breath slowly and picture in front of me the best I could what Jannah might look like and a small area where I could sit by the water and feel the breeze and smell all of the sweet smells and relax and be flooded with happiness....

MasSalaama

Umm Abdelkhalek
Mona45 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mona45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 7:24am
Salaam sister's! I reverted to Islam about 5 year's ago.I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.(For some reason,I am not able to post in other forum's here) I was Christian before I reverted. I recently have had Christian's say to me,that I must not have "really" been a Christian since I have since reverted to Islam. What should I say to this,if anything? How should I answer this? Thank you-Mona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic