IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Irshad Manji  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irshad Manji

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2005 at 3:18pm

Dear Brother and sisters,

These days a lot of propaganda is going on in the Western media regarding the un-compatibility of Islam with the modern progression of human kind. Unfortunately some of the Muslim men and women have also joined the ranks of west in criticizing Islam and calling for reforms due to lack of their knowledge about Islam. There are even some who want to invent Islam according to their own thoughts and some who are paid by the media to project and plant such issues which have never been heard of. Irshad Manji, Tasleema Nasreen, Asma Gul Hasan, Isra Nomani and Amina Wadood are some of the feminist activists who are in the front row of carrying out cynical propaganda against Islam. The basic concept of Manji�s book �THE TROUBLE WITH ISLAM� is to prove that Quran is an outdated book which needs to be re-interpreted in the light of modern Ijthad. Unfortunately she forgets that if Quran is a divine book and free from any kind of error and calling it as outdated means that she refuses to accept it as God�s word. Because if it is from God then it can�t become outdated as God�s knowledge is perfect and human mind can�t overwrite God�s words.

The word Muslim means one who submits his will to Allah�s command. It doesn�t imply that one who finds an instruction or order against his wish or will he has the right to temper it or to replace it as per his / her own mindset. If that be the case he or she is free to accept or choose another religion which suits him / her. As a Muslim we have to submit to basic Islamic principles otherwise we have the choice to become an atheist or adopt any other religion. There are numerous places where we are given options to choose but there is no question of compromise on basic Islamic beliefs and principles.  

So these so called reformists have the option to adopt any other religion as by defying the basic Islamic principles they are anything but Muslims. If they feel that Islam is un-compatible with the modern western values and that this world is the only place where they are living and that there is nothing known as Hereafter then they have the right to choose the way which suits them. They can become lesbians or gays or heterosexual or whatever and surely we will be told in the hereafter of our deeds.     

Shams Zaman  Pakistan

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 4:28am

The article "Not-Too-Islamic Muslims" got moved from the home page of that site.   Try going to: http://www.islamonline.net, then, under Muslim Affairs in the left column, click on Views and Analyses.  Then, scroll down to Read Also.  The article can be found listed there.

Or, go to that site, type in "not too Islamic Muslims" in search bar.  Scroll down to Record(s) found in Views - 142, and click on that.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 11:10am

Alhamdulilah I read the article and I liked what it was talking about Ummziba that was a great article to post. I wanted to add that the article brought up some good points. First point wa that to those outside the fold of Islam i.e. Non-Muslims who view the world in a dualistic form i.e. Moderate Extremist would see such a so-called Moderate such as Irshad Manji as a moderate because she expresses her isolated beliefs by dropping the central tenants of Islam and questioning them at the same time.

How is it that such a person who questions the justice of Islam not practice the implimentation of that? I remember reading some excerpts from her book that we should question the Qur'an. I would pick a better word such as examining the Qur'an as far as the truths embedded in each word. But how can such a person who call herself Muslim be so focused on centralizing other issues beyond the important issues such as being an upright Muslim? I believe the problem with Muslims (not Islam) is that we have issues concerning implimentation of the Qur'an and its dialects.

Ummziba from what you said earlier if it's true, if she is a professed lesbian then this totally discredits her and isolates her as far as being a Muslim from the rest of those who are practicing Muslims. Funny how such a person can totally discredits Islamic practice by questioning the central parts of faith yet claims to follow them at the same time.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 1:27pm

Israfil,

I am glad you enjoyed the article.  Unfortunately, it seems to be true; at least if you watch what is reported in the western media, there are a lot of "not so Islamic Muslims".  Of course, they feed on that and pick up every (in their eyes) 'moderate' who will go on air and say things against Islam.

Yes, I have heard from her own lips (Manji) on television, that she is a lesbian.  I do think that is the cause of a lot of her frustration with Islam.  Sadly, I have also seen on television, a documentary about a self professed imam who is gay and who leads prayer for a mixed community of gay and lesbian 'muslims'.  This program was on a channel in Canada called Vision T.V. - it is a multifaith religious channel. 

This program about the homosexual 'muslim' community showed how other faiths were so open to this (sadly mislead) group of people.  Some, a mixed group of Christian persons, even sharing iftar with them during Ramadan!  The show made it sound like the Muslim community at large were backward and extremist for not accepting these homosexuals!

It seems to me that pretty well every 'muslim' I've seen saying bad things about Islam, have been people who don't want to follow the tenents of the faith (for example, praying 5 times a day, dressing modestly, denouncing homosexuality [or alcohol, or mixed socializing, and so forth]).  I think perhaps they try to justify their actions by finding some fault with Islam, instead of with themselves.

Perhaps in trying to find fault with Islam, these people (like Manji), make themselves feel better about not being 'muslim' enough.  Another possibility is that some of them (especially Manji) may have just discovered an easy way to get their "15 minutes of fame" and make a quick buck too!

It is all viewed by non-Muslims as proof that Islam must be "bad", because they see so many of them in the media saying so.  The media would far rather put a 'moderate muslim' on air who will bash Islam than one who says we must follow our faith (ie. prayer, fasting, zakat, hajj, moderate dress and staying away from alcohol, dating, etc.).  This is what the non-Muslim public wants to hear (the so called 'moderates').  I think the public wants to believe that Islam is bad and they love to hear Muslims saying so.  After all, Islam bashing is really in with non-Muslims right now.

It is all really very sad.  Muslims who follow their faith need to speak up!

Peace, ummziba.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 4:24am

Peace all,

I had to leave in a hurry yesterday, still wanted to say a few things.  Shams Zaman, you are so right to point out that there are so many 'muslims' bashing Islam these days in the western media.  Why is this?

It seems the media would far rather print/air a story about a 'muslim' who has bad things to say about Islam than any story about the goodness of Islam or happy, satisfied Muslims.  I think this is because the general public does not want to hear good things about Islam.  As long as they keep hearing bad things they can justify hating Islam and Muslims.

It seems so sad to me that someone can be so lucky as to be born into a Muslim family and then grow up to reject it.  Why does this happen?  Do their parents/family not teach them properly about Islam? Does their Muslim community fail them in some way?  What can we Muslims do about this?

For one thing, I believe we need to speak up.  We can't just sit quietly on the sidelines and watch the world slowly start to hate us, even to the point that Muslims themselves are questioning their faith.  We need to support one another and teach one another what we know of our faith.

I know one thing, people like Manji make me very sad.  Their portrayal of Islam in the public media is aweful, it makes us all look bad.  By saying nothing are we condoning what people like her say?  Non-Muslims have no idea that the things people like her say are not correct, they take it as truth.

How do we "fix" this problem of Islam bashing?  How and where do we speak up?  Are we failing our Muslim children by not teaching Islam correctly to them or by not being good role models?  Are we failing our Muslim community by not speaking out and supporting one another?  Are we failing Allah Almighty by not strivinig hard enough to be good Muslims?

So many questions, such a complicated issue.

Peace, ummziba.

nadir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 10:04am

Assalaamu Alaikum

Peace Ummziba

�It seems so sad to me that someone can be so lucky as to be born into a Muslim family and then grow up to reject it.  Why does this happen?  Do their parents/family not teach them properly about Islam? Does their Muslim community fail them in some way?  What can we Muslims do about this?�

If I may please offer a brief explanation of why I perceive this to be happening in the West.

When a Muslim family immigrates to a western country they do so (and are) largely unawares of, the way that particular society �teaches/trains/conditions� it�s people. This may result in parents correctly teaching their children (Islam), however if they are oblivious to the ways their children are been manipulated (by the society at large), they may be unaware of how to overcome that manipulation.

nadir

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 10:24am
Originally posted by nadir nadir wrote:

If I may please offer a brief explanation of why I perceive this to be happening in the West.

When a Muslim family immigrates to a western country they do so (and are) largely unawares of, the way that particular society �teaches/trains/conditions� it�s people. This may result in parents correctly teaching their children (Islam), however if they are oblivious to the ways their children are been manipulated (by the society at large), they may be unaware of how to overcome that manipulation.

Peace,

That just might be a reasonable explanation for part of the problem.  I have noticed that my dear immigrant friends are blissfully unaware of the mores and norms of western society.  I try hard to help them with this.

Peace, ummziba.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 4:23pm

Sad indeed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic