IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Irshad Manji  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irshad Manji

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2005 at 3:12pm

As said by Brother Nadir: (Quote)

When a Muslim family immigrates to a western country they do so (and are) largely unawares of, the way that particular society �teaches/trains/conditions� it�s people. This may result in parents correctly teaching their children (Islam), however if they are oblivious to the ways their children are been manipulated (by the society at large), they may be unaware of how to overcome that manipulation.

That's true but yet there are other reasons. Actually I live in Pakistan which got independence in 1947 from the British. Similarly lot of Arab countries remained under the foreign occupation tii the end of WW-2. The West continued what Muslims did earlier that was to seek advancement in science and technology. This occupation and advancement caused some of Muslims to suffer from inferiority complex. So once west started to criticize Islam or Islamic customs and beliefs these persons ashamed of their Islamic belifs while hungry for respect in the Westren circles, not only adopted apologetic stance but also started to criticize Islam in a unique fashion.

They even went to extent where being a Lesbian (for Irshad Manji), bearing an illegitamate child (by Isra Nomani), leading a mixed congergation (for Amina Wadood) or being a gay (For Asma Gul Hasan) was perfectly alright for a Muslim.

Secondly they say that they believe in the life in the hereafter but their actions speaks that they consider it as a cock and bull story. Because had it been the case they would have prefered the etarnal life over this worldly life.

Shams Zaman   Pakistan. 

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2005 at 4:08am

Brother Shams you have 'hit' me with a great truth that I had previously not contemplated. The idea that someone can want to be so much like those they admire instead of who they really are!  This is a good explanation for why some of the Muslims might have turned from the ummah and begun to criticize.

This is probably a fairly common human condition.  I now consider my own father.  Born in Canada of immigrant parents.  Married a 'white' english speaking lady.  Moved to the 'white' english speaking end of the city.  Raised his 'white' english speaking family and hung out with his 'white' english speaking friends.  In doing this he has denied his children and their children part of their heritage, a second language and a culture to be proud of.  Now I see how easy it can be for humans to reject what and who they are to try so hard to be something/someone that they admire instead!

Thank you for the insight!  And may Allah save us all from the sins of envy and self-loathing.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 2:00pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Irshad Manji is at it again!  Of all the Muslims in Canada, the Toronto Star newspaper chose to run an opinion piece by her on the alleged desecration of the Qur'an by Americans.  This is just one of her quotes:

"One can appreciate the Qur'an's inherent worth, as I do, while recognizing that it contains ambiguities, inconsistencies, outright contradictions - and the possibility of human editing."

Good grief!!!

The whole article can be found at www.thestar.com.  Type in "Riots and rage won't salvage Islam's honour" in the 7 day search bar (the article appeared on May 19).  Click on the one with that title that says [opinion] beside it.

*Note: you might have to become a member to log in and read the article (it is free), though they used to allow you so many "free" reads before asking that you become a member.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2005 at 12:26am

Es_Selam'un Aleykum Brother ShamsZaman,

Congratulations!,wise words...

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 6:38am
I'm impressed by Irshad Manji's capability for critical thinking, independent thought, and rejection of blind submission and mindless repetition of dogma.

A great sign of hope!

Edited by Matt Browne - 06 November 2012 at 6:39am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 7:07am
Muslim "reformer" and lesbian activist......A great sign of hope?
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

I'm impressed by Irshad Manji's capability for critical thinking, independent thought, and rejection of blind submission and mindless repetition of dogma.

A great sign of hope!

I attended one of her talks here in Edmonton a few years back, excellent speaker.  She took a short 10 minute break halfway through her talk, where she played a tape of some of the messages that have been left on her answering maching.  The messages were hilarious in their ignorance, I don't think any of the people who left the messages have ever been accused of being too smart... 
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 3:55pm
History is replete with excellent speakers some moral and others immoral, however always nice to have an entertaining speaker to make us roar with laughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic