IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Irshad Manji  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irshad Manji

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 6:49pm
Hence the response by me in saying that she is judging the Islamic faith based on her own subjective views and experience.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 6:09pm

Irshad Manji is a self professed lesbian.  A lot of her anger with Islam seems to stem from the fact that her deviant sexual practice is not accepted by Muslims.

From what I have seen of her on television interviews and programs, her understanding of Islam is not very good at all.  I believe she has the right to question whatever she wishes but her method of grabbing media attention by putting down Islam and Muslims is really very sad.  And of course, the media is only to glad to give her tons of air time.  Her method of questioning her faith is very harmful to the ummah, in my opinion.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 5:02pm

As'Salaamu Alaikum Wa' Rahmatuallhi Wa' Barakatuh

Yes I'm back writing, but only briefly due to the response of a friend now I wanted to bring up a quick topic that is of interest.

In this discussion I wanted to talk about a Muslim (or so-called) by the name of Irshad Manji. Perhaps misunderstood and perhaps not, one of her compelling books she wrote, titled "the Troubled with Islam" discusses the various troubles within the Muslim Community (Ummah) and the need of reformation of Islam through the Muslim Community. I have not personally read her book due to the fact that she is a self-prescribed "Muslim-Refusenik." By definition "Refusenik refers to one ( a Russian or Jew) who is not permitted to emigrate. The primary basis of this is that she believes that the Islamic family does not believe in rationalizing its own self thus the greater dismay of the community.

She holds the Islamic community to many accounts that are happening in the world, of course, such of these truths are quite evident. Primary topics she discusses in her book are:

1) The objectification of Women in Islam

2) Engagin in the disrespect of Jews and Judaism and the fact that many Muslims engage in such behaviors.

3) The continuence of slavery under the Islamic regimes.

Of course this covers the traditionalist thinking or ijtihad is defined subjectively in her book she recounts her tales as a young girl to adolescence and in her understandings of Islam growing up. Perhaps as a young Philosopher in training she recalls in her own history of how she questioned her Madrassa teacher and his continuing ignoring her questioning. Though I have judged her based on the premise of her asserting that the Muslim community needs reform in interpretating text and law as correct, I believe that her wavering faith and how she is asserting herself is shallow on the basis of experience. Even though faith in the human spirit is as fragile as a flame on a candle such instances should not snuff out the flame of faith based on experience. This is the primary problem of those who have left Islam and why Islam is under the scrutiny that it is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic