IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Irshad Manji  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irshad Manji

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 11:10am

Alhamdulilah I read the article and I liked what it was talking about Ummziba that was a great article to post. I wanted to add that the article brought up some good points. First point wa that to those outside the fold of Islam i.e. Non-Muslims who view the world in a dualistic form i.e. Moderate Extremist would see such a so-called Moderate such as Irshad Manji as a moderate because she expresses her isolated beliefs by dropping the central tenants of Islam and questioning them at the same time.

How is it that such a person who questions the justice of Islam not practice the implimentation of that? I remember reading some excerpts from her book that we should question the Qur'an. I would pick a better word such as examining the Qur'an as far as the truths embedded in each word. But how can such a person who call herself Muslim be so focused on centralizing other issues beyond the important issues such as being an upright Muslim? I believe the problem with Muslims (not Islam) is that we have issues concerning implimentation of the Qur'an and its dialects.

Ummziba from what you said earlier if it's true, if she is a professed lesbian then this totally discredits her and isolates her as far as being a Muslim from the rest of those who are practicing Muslims. Funny how such a person can totally discredits Islamic practice by questioning the central parts of faith yet claims to follow them at the same time.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 4:28am

The article "Not-Too-Islamic Muslims" got moved from the home page of that site.   Try going to: http://www.islamonline.net, then, under Muslim Affairs in the left column, click on Views and Analyses.  Then, scroll down to Read Also.  The article can be found listed there.

Or, go to that site, type in "not too Islamic Muslims" in search bar.  Scroll down to Record(s) found in Views - 142, and click on that.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Shams Zaman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2005 at 3:18pm

Dear Brother and sisters,

These days a lot of propaganda is going on in the Western media regarding the un-compatibility of Islam with the modern progression of human kind. Unfortunately some of the Muslim men and women have also joined the ranks of west in criticizing Islam and calling for reforms due to lack of their knowledge about Islam. There are even some who want to invent Islam according to their own thoughts and some who are paid by the media to project and plant such issues which have never been heard of. Irshad Manji, Tasleema Nasreen, Asma Gul Hasan, Isra Nomani and Amina Wadood are some of the feminist activists who are in the front row of carrying out cynical propaganda against Islam. The basic concept of Manji�s book �THE TROUBLE WITH ISLAM� is to prove that Quran is an outdated book which needs to be re-interpreted in the light of modern Ijthad. Unfortunately she forgets that if Quran is a divine book and free from any kind of error and calling it as outdated means that she refuses to accept it as God�s word. Because if it is from God then it can�t become outdated as God�s knowledge is perfect and human mind can�t overwrite God�s words.

The word Muslim means one who submits his will to Allah�s command. It doesn�t imply that one who finds an instruction or order against his wish or will he has the right to temper it or to replace it as per his / her own mindset. If that be the case he or she is free to accept or choose another religion which suits him / her. As a Muslim we have to submit to basic Islamic principles otherwise we have the choice to become an atheist or adopt any other religion. There are numerous places where we are given options to choose but there is no question of compromise on basic Islamic beliefs and principles.  

So these so called reformists have the option to adopt any other religion as by defying the basic Islamic principles they are anything but Muslims. If they feel that Islam is un-compatible with the modern western values and that this world is the only place where they are living and that there is nothing known as Hereafter then they have the right to choose the way which suits them. They can become lesbians or gays or heterosexual or whatever and surely we will be told in the hereafter of our deeds.     

Shams Zaman  Pakistan

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2005 at 2:46pm

God's Blessings,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to pyt up the web article you had the link to, is there any other way I could get to the article of interest?

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2005 at 6:06am

Here is an interesting article by Yasmin Magahed that mentions Manji and the sadly growing phenomenon of the "not too Islamic Muslim":

http://islamonline.net/English/Views/2005/03/aricle02.SHTML

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 5:56pm
Alhamdulilah Sister and Br. Suleyman for your kind remarks,
even though my absence was very short. I agree what you said
concerning the individual who comes to the knowledge of God
through the experience of learning. You made mention that the
implimentation on Shariah Law as well as Islamic
Jurispurdence is not always implimented by those who
understands it. I extend on my metaphor ( you were right it was
a metaphor) as faith is as fragile because in the world today
there are certain local figures in our communities who do not
impliment laws correctly and justly hence the various negative
accounts going on in the world today.

What my problem is with Irshad Manji is that she is using her
apprehended knowledge of the world (not Islam) and allocating
it with the probnlems of Islam and calls for reformation. She is
calling the reformation of how doctrine as well as Fiqh is being
interpreted. However correct she may be on some points I
frankly disagree with her premises in saying that Islam needs to
be reformed. Islam is complete. What may need reformation is
how Islam is conducted by the grand population.

I cannot understand how one individual can use the problems
of the world as something "Islamic" because Islam does not
condone such behaviors as we have explained in perennial
fashion. There are many so-called Muslims who say that they
are rationalist and disagree even with the truest points of Islam,
this we call people who commit bid'ah or innovation on Islamic
principle/practice. I remember a sister I know who told me that
another Muslim-refusenik who at Columbia speaking in a forum
said "We must evaluate the Qur'an with an open-mind and must
interpret doctrine in our own mind."

This may be true in context but in reality (and I shall not
contradict my view on this subject) the Qur'an or it laws cannot
be interpreted or carried out in its fullest since these (doctrines,
laws) came from Divine providence and since these laws are
divine we carry them out to the best of intellectual capacity
through the apprehension of these sacred laws. I believe that to
understand God is to grasp the basic principles of the Qur'an
and Sunnah. More importantly Muslims cannot forget that Allah
does ask us to be rational, just, and kind to those who do not
always accept us. Perhaps what this sister saw was another
world that became hidden behind Islam and mistook such an
illusion as Islam. I have convinced myself that I may read her
book after all to uncover her madness.
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

Israfil, first of all, am very happy that you are back. I hope there will not be too many untoward incidences, insha allah. I personally want to thank you for changing your mind. Your presence was grately missed, and Br. Suleyman can confirm to this

always! always!! always!!!...welcome back brother Israf�l

Edited by Suleyman
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 7:37pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

Israfil, first of all, am very happy that you are back. I hope there will not be too many untoward incidences, insha allah. I personally want to thank you for changing your mind. Your presence was grately missed, and Br. Suleyman can confirm to this

No comments on the said woman, as am too slow with ppl in somewhat the lime light.

I would however comment on one of your remarks. Your analogy of faith to the flame of a candle is true, I agree and very much like the metaphor (or was it a similie?).

Brother, i want to state that knowledge kindles knowledge. It is observed in many incidences that the laws in islam are not derived very intelligently, but those who are studying fiqh will be able to tell us a better picture. I read a lot on a fiqh website (sunnipath.com) and have concluded that the scholars of Islam, even to this day, have concrete knowledge, awareness of the society and flexibility of temperament within the limits of Islam - sadly they  are not the ones screeming fatwas.

If we have read something thru a reliable authority, and then read it again said by someone else, it is only a confirmation. On the other hand if one had not heard the concept, it takes time to sink in. What i am trying to say is familiarity with knowledge helps us confirm it in whatever form we encounter it. ( I hope am not confusing you). Just as an example, long ago there was a member, he was a very young man, a student from Iran, who was quite aggressive about Islam (he was not shia). One of his statements was "I have read islam enough, now I want to contradict it, or challenge it" or something like that. We used to have very heated conversations. One day he brought a thread asking why nobody ever married aisha (RA), when she was such a young widow? When he was shown the ayat which says that the wives of the prophet(saw) are your mothers, his tone changed greatly.

So there are ppl who think they know a lot, thus they argue, but when will this fact dawn on them that actually they have got their concepts wrong, we dont know.

Perhaps for us as individuals, who notice these defects in the ummah, may it help us grow stronger in faith, insha allah.

Maa salaama.

Nausheen

Edited by Nausheen
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic