IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam in Diversity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam in Diversity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 9:15am

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair for your continuous contributions. I have been unwell, will post later Insha Allah.

Wassalaam

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 10:18am
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair for your continuous contributions. I have been unwell, will post later Insha Allah.

Wassalaam

As Salamu Alaikum

May Allah bless you with His Shifa Ameen

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 6:04am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaykum

I think its been quiet on this thread so what about a new topic, I was thinking about 'Riya', it is a very complicated matter which creeps into our lives without realising so what is riya and how can one get rid of it?

wassalam

Edited by fatima
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Assalaamualaikum

Wassalaam

As Salamu Alaikum

May Allah bless you with His Shifa Ameen

Salams

Assalaamualaikum

Jazakallahkhair for your duas ukhti and thousand apologies for late reply.

wassalaam

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 12:53am
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

Assalamu alaykum

I think its been quiet on this thread so what about a new topic, I was thinking about 'Riya', it is a very complicated matter which creeps into our lives without realising so what is riya and how can one get rid of it?

wassalam

Assalamu alaykum

Yes, thats a good topic. Jazakallahkhair

Riya comes from the word ruyah (to be seen).  It is considered a minor shirk.

The Prophet, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, said:

"Shall I not inform you of what I fear for you more than the maseeh ud-dajjaal? It is the hidden shirk. It is when a man stands up for prayer, then beautifies his prayer for another to look at." [Related by Ibn Maajah (2604) from the hadeeth of Aboo Sa`eed al-Khudree, radiyallaahu `anhu. The hadeeth is hasan.]

wassalaam

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 6:06am

Wa'alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

I heard a speaker once describing 'riya', he said its seeing the creation as appose to the Creator. He said that if some1 who was about to perform an act of nafl or something similar and sees some people. Then changes his mind because people might think that he is showing off is also committing a riya. This is quite scary but at the same time a very good advice too.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2007 at 11:22am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

http://www.islamicfinder.org/articles/article.php?id=46& lang=

Linguistically Riyaa comes from the root "ra`aa" which means to see, to behold, to view. The derived word 'Riyaa' means "eye service, hypocrisy, dissimulation, and dissemblance."

From the Sharee`ah point of view, "to perform acts which are pleasing to Allah, with the intention of pleasing other than Allah". Thus Riyaa originates in the heart.

Mahmood ibn Labeed reported that the Allah's Messenger said, "The thing that I fear most for you is the minor Shirk; Riyaa" (Ahmad in his Musnad)

Aboo Sa`eed reported that the Messenger of Allah (saaw) came to us while we were talking about Dajjaal and said, "Should I not inform you of that which I fear for you even more than the dangers of Dajjaal? It is the hidden Shirk; A person stands to pray, and he beautifies his prayer because he seas the people looking at him." (Sunan Ibn Majah vol. 2, #3389)

Aboo Moosaa al-Ash`aree reported that Allah's Messenger delivered a sermon to them one day and said, "O People! Fear this Shirk (meaning Riyaa), for it is more inconspicuous than the crawling of an ant." (Authenticated in Sahih al Targheeb wat-Tarheeb, no. 33)

The primary cause of Riyaa is a weakness in Eemaan. When a person does not have strong faith in Allah, he will prefer the admiration of people over the pleasure of Allah.

There are three symptoms that are indicative of Riyaa, and it is essential that a believer avoid all of them.

(1) The love of Praise---as mentioned in a Hadeeth of the first three people being thrown into the hellfire; the scholar (who taught for fame), the martyr (who fought for fame), and the person who gave his money in charity (so people would say he is generous). All three of these people desired the pleasure of people over the pleasure of Allah. The person who desires the praise of people must feel some pride in him, for he feels himself worthy of being praised. There is a danger, therefore, of him becoming arrogant and boastful.

Aboo Hurayrah quoted Allah's Messenger (saaw) as saying: "Allah, Most Great and Glorious said: Pride is My cloak, and greatness is My robe, so whoever competes with Me, with respect to either of them, I shall cast him into Hell" (Sahih Muslim, vol. 4 #6349, Sunan Aboo Dawood, vol. 3 #4079)

Aboo Hurayrah quoted Allah's Messenger (saaw) warning about a person's adoration of himself: "There are three distrustful things: desires that are followed, greediness that is obeyed, and a person's self-admiration and conceit; and this is the worst of the three."

Allah also warned against falling into the category of those Christians and Jews whom the Quran mentions:

"Do not assume that those who rejoice in what they have done, and love to be praised for what they have not done, think not that they are absolved from punishment, (but rather) for them is a painful torment." (Al-Imran: 188)

(2) Fear of Criticism

No one likes to be criticized. The dislike of criticism regarding religious practices may be divided into two categories:

a] The first category is that of a person who neglects a commandment of Allah in order to avoid the criticism of his peers. However, the true believers are described in the Quran as follows: "...They do not fear the criticism of those who criticize. And this is the blessing of Allah; He gives it to whomsoever He wishes. Verily, Allah is Self-Sufficient, all Knowing. "(Al-Maa`idah: 54)

b] The second category is that of a person who obeys certain commandments of Islam, not for the sake of Allah, but because he fears people will look down on him and criticize him if he does not do it. For example, a man may make his formal prayers in the mosque because he does not want people to criticize him for praying at home, or to think that he is not praying at all.

(3) Greed for people's possessions

If a person covets what other people possess, whether it is rank, money or power, then he will wish them to envy him similarly. For example, if he is jealous of a position of a certain person in society, he will try by every possible means to attain the same position. Such desires lead people to spend their lives putting on a show for other people so that they will admire their rank, money, or power.

These three categories are implied in the following statement of the Prophet Muhammad (saaw). Aboo Moosaa related that a person came to the Prophet (saaw) and asked: "A person fights to defend his honor (i.e. to avoid criticism), another to prove his bravery (i.e. to be praised for it), and a third to show off (i.e. so that his position can be seen); of these three, which one fights in the way of Allah?� He (saaw) answered:

"Whoever fights to make the word of Allah prevalent [i.e. to bring honor to Islam, and to establish it in the land], he is the one who fights in the way of Allah" (Sahih al-Bukhari vol. 4 #65)

Some scholars advised:

"Remove the causes of Riyaa` from yourself by considering the opinion of people as important to you as animals and small children. Do not differentiate in your worship between the presence of people or their absence, or between their knowledge of your actions and their ignorance. Rather be conscious of the infinite knowledge of Allah alone."

The Ways to Avoid Riyaa

1. Increasing knowledge of Islam
2. Du`a
The prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa salam) taught the specific Du`a for Riyaa:
"Allahumma innaa na`oothu bika an-nushrika bika shay`an na`lamuhu, wa nastagfiruka limaa laa na`lamuh. [O Allah, we seek refuge in you from committing shirk knowingly, and ask your forgiveness for (the shirk that we may commit unknowingly"]
3. Reflecting upon Heaven and Hell
4. Hiding one's good deeds
5. Reflection upon one self�s shortcomings
6. Accompanying the Pious
7. Knowledge of Riyaa

By: Abu Ammar Yasir al-Qathi
Source: islamzine.com

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 5:00am

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Here i have few notes to be shared related to Khushu wa Khudu in Prayers.

Khushu wa Khudu in prayers is inversely propotional to one's love of this life. The more one loves the latter , the less he will  be able to concentrate  in the prayers. It is also a barometer of one's love of Allah. Those who love him cannot stray away from Him, right when they stand before Him.

The above shud tell us something about how difficult it is to achieve it. The solution has little  to do with the momentous efforts at concentration but is all about one's attitude towards this earthly life and the nature of relationship  with the Creator. It  shud tell us why the earliest Muslims succeeded and why the "latest" Muslims fail. It shud tell us the rationale behind a Companion's decision to give away his entire orchard in charity for the reason that a bird caught up in his thickly treed orchard was fluttering about looking a way out - causing Abu Talha's diversion in Prayer.

While efforts are made towards decrease  in love of this worldy life, attempt shud be directed at acheiving momentary  concentration in the prayers. A method , as suggested  by Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi , and which might work - atleast for few moments - consists of bringing back the mind and heart to the prayer, as soon as one realizes that they have strayed. That shud go on, no matter how many times they stray during the Prayer. That is , bring back to prayer when they stray, and so, repeatedly, until the prayers lasts.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic