IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam in Diversity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam in Diversity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 2:46am

Fatima, I'm still not sure about blameworthy sabr.  If I were to guess I'd say there are times/situations when Allah s.w.t requires that we act.  If exercising patience in such a case would mean not acting then this kind of patience would be blameworthy. 

Seekhidaya, excellent post!!!!  Barak Allah fik

Salaam

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 3:31am

What are the adaab of sabr?

1- once the calamity befalls us, we must show sabr immediately without delay.

A woman was in the cemetary, crying, mourning her love, when Rasulullah (saws) said to her "show sabr". She said, not knowing who he was "thats easy for you to say, you have not lost a loved one". When the companions told her who he was, she asked for forgiveness and rasulullah (saws) said: Sabr is to be shown at the beginning of hardship.

2- al-itirjaa': to say immediately, sincerely, from the heart: "Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhee raji'uun" -Verily from Allah we come and to Him we return

3- the tongue and the senses do not act violently - use them correctly, don't get caught up in the pain of the moment

4- Hussnul sabr- sabrun jameel- the highest level, the most beautiful sabr

Sabr can be categorized into 3 levels:

1- Tarkus sabraa: the lowest level- when one does not complain but inside dislikes what's happening to them

2- Ar-ridhaa-bil-beelah: no complaint, to show satisfaction with the balaa (hardship), because they have yaqeen (certainty) that Allah only does to the 'abd what is best for them

3- Ash-shukr-alal-beelah: to have ridhaa (satisfaction) and to be grateful to Allah for the hardship because that person has yaqeen that this is to elevate his spiritual status- looks at the consequence, not the immediate event we are taught sabrun jameel in the story of yaqub and yusuf (as)

Ali (ra) said: Of the realization of the Majesty of Allah, and of knowledge of the right Allah (swt) has on His creation, is that when one is befallen with a calamity, one does not complain, does not even mention what has befallen him.

An 'abd should feel ashamed to describe the pain, we are complaining about the Creator to the creation?

ibn Qays (a tabi') said: I lost my eyesite 40 years ago, I have never told anyone.

an ulumah (didn't get the name): "Whosoever complains about a calamity that has befallen him to other than Allah, such an individual would never find the sweetness of ta'aa (obedience to Allah (swt)) in the heart"

How to attain sabr?

The cure to any disease of the heart (arrogance, anger, lack of hayaa)

1- ILM: brings desire and want to change, use the ilm the teacher conveys to you! brings about hazm- energy, resolve to change

2- AMAL: take it into everyday life, in your actions Qat'al asbaab- severing the ways and avenues to bad deeds. example: lowering the gaze for zinnah. for every haraam avenue, there is a halaal alternative.

No pain, no gain- condition your nafs and your qalb, or they will condition you

Work hard on uprooting the weeds of passion, disobedience and sin. Sow the seeds in your heart of the will to change and sincerity. Let the rain be the mercy and forgiveness of Allah purifying the land, our hearts.

The best door from which we can enter the majesty of Allah, is humility.

1- Always be conscious in our hearts and minds of Allah's nimaah

2- Always be conscious of our weaknesses, the sins we have committed. Have faqar- the opposite of pride, self-reliance, self-interest..

Qur'an: "InnaAllah ma'as sabireen: Verily Allah is WITH those who have sabr."

Ya Allah, make us of those who have sabr, and grant us Your mercy and Your forgiveness.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 4:57am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

SubhanAllah, JazakAllah khair brother, mashaAllah very informative posts. I want to carry on with topic of taqwa for a bit longer inshaAllah. Regarding sister amah's question of attaining taqwa and sister herjihad's comment about intending to have taqwa but not having it, I think the cure or way to get there is same.

First of all we need to educate ourselves with the had of (the boundaries and limits set by) Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. That we do by reading Holy Quran with the explanation to find out the rulings and because human self wants reasons so most of times tafaasir give reasons behind the law and the benefit of the law. For people who already have read different explanation would agree with me that even for them when they down on Imaan, reading Holy Quran and pondering about it helps increasing your imaan. I think it is saying of Umar (ra) that taqwa is when you stop yourself reaching had of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. So real taqwa is not just having pure intention but stoping yourself falling into sin.

As sister herjihad mentioned about intending but not having taqwa, i think for that you need to be on guard all the time. At start it is hard on the self to give up something which you are use to. Your ownself whispers to you that it is not that bad, the way forward would be having company of people who are slightly more strict than you are. Not compromising on the forbidden even 0.00001% and trying to avoid what comes under grey helps keeping you strong. I will tell you my personal experience, i used to be a sports fanatic, still like watching few of em. Now problem is that most of them have their aurah not covered. So alhamdulillah i gaveup watching tennis, athletics and gymnastics but there is slight window in football. Because sometimes i think they have long enough shorts, it covers their aurah. Problem with that is i am wasting my time which i am accountable for and the it is in grey area because some scholar consider aurah of men from bellybutton to the knees. Now the other day i saw effect of me listening to my nafs, while watching sports i flicked across another channel and there was programme going on called Xfactor. I thought to myself its just those people singing without music and im just listening to their voice and thats not that bad.

Thats what is the main problem, if you involve yourself in little wrongs, the slightly bigger ones start looking like small to you and you keep going further away. So best thing would be educating self and then restricting the nafs, it is hard but ask Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala for help and He hates sending His slaves empty handed. Another thing which helps me is sitting on prayer matt and talking to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. End of every day after I'sha just sit and think about if you have done something wrong, ask for forgiveness. Sometimes i think how am i ever going to achieve pleasure of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala being so lazy and negligent and that motviates me. Other times i think what am i going to do if on The Day of Judgement Allah subhanahau wa ta'ala is displeased with me. So i think it differs situation to situation what is going to keep you motivated. First explore yourself, know what you truely desire from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and then work on it inshaAllah.

Sister abeer said, 'Fatima, I'm still not sure about blameworthy sabr'. There is a saying of Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam that showing arrogance in the face of arrogant is part of jihad. I have only heard one scholar talking about this, he said when your patience gets portrayed as weakness that is blameworthy, when the name of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala becomes under attack and you dont get up to defend it and you think you are showing patience in adversity, that is blameworthy. So basically when you let someone make 'dhulm' their habbit, that comes under blameworthy patience.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 8:31am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Sister Fatima, when you mentioned the title Islam in Diversity I immediately thought it was something to do with Muslims from different countries. Alhamdulillah! Masha Allah! it is not.

Jazakallahu Khairan  for starting a very beneficial thread, which I may add is very well overdue.

Volumes have being written on both Topics �Taqwa and Sabr.

Taqwa and Sabr are very closely linked to our level of Iman. Masha Allah many Ayah and Hadith have being mentioned regarding both Taqwa and Sabr. If we have weak Iman, we fear and love others more than Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala, and we don�t have Sabr at the first stroke of the calamity.

Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala prescribed fasting for us in the month of Ramadan so that we may acquire Taqwa.

��������� ��������� ���������� ������ ���������� ���������� ����� ������ ����� ��������� ��� ���������� ����������� ����������

O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may acquire Taqwa (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: 183)

��������� ������� �������������

And Allah loves those who are patient. (Surah Al-Imran 3: 146)

We have to realize that everything Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala decrees for us from amongst the good and the evil is for our benefit. Whatever occurred to us could not have missed us and what missed us could never have reached us.

When we have weak Iman, our first reaction to trials beyond our control is anger and we say �Why me?� Without realizing it we are angry with Allah and His Decree. Astaghfirullah!

If someone wrongs us we immediately curse or make Dua against that person. Astaghfirullah!

We become impatient, frustrated and end up with acute depression.

Iman comes first. Intentions, Taqwa and Sabr follow. The higher the level of one�s Iman the greater is trials and tribulations. The story of Prophet Ayyub (Alayhi Salam) is a beautiful example.

This is my understanding on this topic. Insha Allah I will post again after referring to the works of some scholars.

Wa Alaikum Salam

Edited by Alwardah
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 11:41pm

Quote Thats what is the main problem, if you involve yourself in little wrongs, the slightly bigger ones start looking like small to you and you keep going further away.

Another thing is that you should keep off from the company of those who do not follow Islamic way of life.

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 4:30am

Assalamu alaikum

Brother Candid wrote, 'Another thing is that you should keep off from the company of those who do not follow Islamic way of life'.  Yes you are so right, there is a hadith which says 'a man is on the religion of his friends'. So we should be really careful about the company we keep.

Now i want to come back to Brother seekshidayah's post about patience (i dint have enough time yesterday  ). Brother mentioned three forms of sabr, but i read another type that imam ghazali and many other scolars mention. It is that you can complain to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala about the hardship in a way which is befiting His High stat, i.e. 'SubhanAllah I am suffering or this situation is really testing me my Lord and i am a weak human being so i ask you to give me patience'. It is also mentioned that you can even tell His creation like 'SubhanAllah i have this problem and i am suffering but i am sure that whatever comes from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is good for a believer. So i ask Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala for patience and please pray for me'. So basically you are not talking against the will of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala but scholars don't consider this to be 'sabr jamil'.

In the third type which according to your post seems highest state is bit  'i am not too sure' type for me. Because although a believer is content with the ridha of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, his being happy with the hardship is bit tricky for me. Because Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala wants His slave to show humbleness in those situations. 23:76] We inflicted Punishment on them, but they humbled not themselves to their Lord, nor do they submissively entreat (Him)!-

We are told that in Prophets we have examples for us to follow and Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala tells us in Holy Quran the story of Ayub alayhis salaam and what his reaction was to the adversities he faced. He prayed
"Truly adversity has afflicted me and You are Most Merciful of all who show mercy." (21: 83)

Although he was content with the decree of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, he wanted the affliction to be removed.

Allah accepted his prayer.  The Holy Qur'an affirms: "Then We heard his prayer and removed that adversity from which he suffered, and We gave him his household and the like thereof along with them, a mercy from Our store and remembrance for the worshippers."  (21: 84)

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala tells us in Surah Quraish that peace and prosperity are two of His blessing which quraish should be thankful for.

[Yusufali 106:1] For the covenants (of security and safeguard enjoyed) by the Quraish,
[Yusufali 106:2] Their covenants (covering) journeys by winter and summer,-
[Yusufali 106:3] Let them adore the Lord of this House,
[Yusufali 106:4] Who provides them with food against hunger, and with security against fear (of danger).

Although a hardship could prove to be a blessing in disguise because it might help you achieve a higher state with Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala because of your patience but in itself is a test. Human beings are made weak and a test is always hard on self. There is a hadith in Musnad Ahmad, a dua in which Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassalam said, 'If you want to test people, then take me to you without having to undergo the test' 5:243. But i agree that a believer should be content with whatever befalls him because it is all from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Thinking about it prosperity in wealth and family is also a test [Yusufali 64:15] Your riches and your children may be but a trial: but in the Presence of Allah, is the highest, Reward.
 so may Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala give us patience in every trial and an ability to thank Him for blessings, ameen

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 5:55am
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

Assalamu alaikum

IC Team wants to start a thread in which members can discuss basic concepts of islam through their understanding. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in Quran al-Karim, 2:143] Thus We have appointed you a middle nation', alhamdulillah the best way is the balanced middle way. But through His Mercy we are allowed to follow the lineant or the strict way according to our own strength. So members are welcome to bringup any topic or concept and discuss it in a peacefull manner.

JazakumAllah Khair.

So I am going to start the thread inshaAllah with 'Taqwa'.

There is a saying of Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wassalam about wudu which says, 'save your heels from hellfire'. It is regarding making sure that enough care is taken in washing each part with enough water. But another hadith tells us that he sallallahu alaihe wassalam told a sahabi doing wudu not to be extravagant with water even though he was sitting by a stream.

So anybody who is using more water for making sure he has payed its due would have taqwa of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. Similarly anybody using little amount of water because of the second hadith would also be doing it because of taqwa.

So what is more important in Taqwa, the act or the intention?

wassalam

Assalamu Alaikum,

Masha Allah, many members have already made tremendous contributions here, but I would still like to take part here to earn some sawab ( blessing ) of Allah ( SWT ), insha Allah.

I think what these ahadith ( in connection with wudu ) mean is that we should properly wash each required body part in wudu ( ablution ), and at the same time, do so without wasting water.

Intention is more important than action. Many times we do things, but our intentions are not for the sake of Allah. If we do anything good just to please the world, and not for the sake of Allah, that act will get no rewards in the hereafter.

Volume 8, Book 76, Number 506:

Narrated Jundub:

The Prophet said, "He who lets the people hear of his good deeds intentionally, to win their praise, Allah will let the people know his real intention (on the Day of Resurrection), and he who does good things in public to show off and win the praise of the people, Allah will disclose his real intention (and humiliate him).

Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

My next topic is 'Patience' Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has told us to be patient in conditions because the end is for the one who shows patience. What in your view is praiseworthy patience and what would be blameworthy?

Wassalam

Here are some ahadith on patience.

Volume 7, Book 70, Number 545:
Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri and Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, "No fatigue, nor disease, nor sorrow, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that."

Volume 7, Book 70, Number 547:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "The example of a believer is that of a fresh tender plant; from whatever direction the wind comes, it bends it, but when the wind becomes quiet, it becomes straight again. Similarly, a believer is afflicted with calamities (but he remains patient till Allah removes his difficulties.) And an impious wicked person is like a pine tree which keeps hard and straight till Allah cuts (breaks) it down when He wishes." (See Hadith No. 558, Vol. 9.)

Volume 3, Book 43, Number 624:

Narrated Anas:

Allah's Apostle said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."

Therefore, regarding blame worthy patience, as we see in above hadith, I agree with Sister Fatima: "when you let someone make 'dhulm' their habbit, that comes under blameworthy patience."

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 6:26am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

I mentioned in the previous response that Intention, Taqwa and Sabr are all linked and Iman is the master key. A weak Iman equals a lower level of Taqwa and Sabr.

We must remember that when we discuss the different aspects of Islam, new terms will always be introduced.

Here are some words of wisdom from the Companions of the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) and other scholars.

Abu Darda (Radhi Allahu Anhu) said: "From the completion of Taqwa is that the slaves fears from his Lord even with regards to things the weight of an atom."

Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu)  was asked about Taqwa. He said, "It is a road full of thorns. One who walks it needs to have extreme patience."

Sufyaan ath-Thawri (Rahimahullah) said, "We met a people who loved it when it was said to them - Fear Allah the Most High. Today you find that people only become annoyed at this."

A person asked Fudhayl ibn `Iyaad (Rahimahullah), "Which country would you like me to live in?� Fudhayl replied, "There is no connection between you and any nation.
The best country for you is the country which helps you to acquire Taqwa."

One of the salaf said: �Believers and unbelievers alike may have patience at a time of adversity, but only people of strong faith can have patience at a time of ease.� Therefore Allah warned against the Fitnah of wealth, wives and children:

�O you who believe! Let not your riches or your children divert you from the remembrance of All�h. If any act thus, the loss is their own.� (Surah Al-Munafiqun 63:9)

�O you who believe! Truly, among your wives and your children are (some that are) enemies to yourselves: so beware of them!� (Surah At-Taghabun 64:14)

Patience has many shades. Here are a few. Insha Allah the members can add to this list.

1. Patience in accepting the decree of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala � good or bad
  2. Patience in following His Command and Obeying His Messenger (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam).
  3. Patience at time of hunger.
  4. Patience when faced with temptation of a male/female.
  5. Patience when faced with death or loss of property or wealth and other adversities.

Patience and Iman are prerequisites for leadership in religion: �And We appointed, from among them, leaders, giving guidance under Our commands, so long as they persevered with patience and continued to have faith in Our Signs� (Surah As-Sajdah 32:24).

Patience and Taqwa are conditions for Allah�s help and support: �Yea � if you hold on to patience and piety, even if the enemy should rush here on you in hot haste, your Lord would help you with five thousand angels  having marks (of distinction)� (Surah Al �Imran 3:125).

Allah has mentioned patience alongside the pillars of Islam and Iman, as He has mentioned it alongside Salah: �Nay, seek (Allah�s) help with patient perseverance and prayer�� (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:45)

And finally indeed ACTIONS ARE BY INTENTIONS AND EVERY MAN SHALL HAVE BUT THAT WHICH HE INTENDED.

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic