IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why is pork forbidden in Islam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is pork forbidden in Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 5:19pm

Originally posted by Cyril Cyril wrote:

The only reason why pork is forbidden in Islam is the reason given by Bmz: "Because The Lord Almighty had forbidden it earlier, before the advent of Islam."

The explanations of pork being too dangerous to eat are attempts by people, embarrassed by the good health and long-life expectancy of pork-eating Westerners, to find excuses to a seemingly pointless dietary law.

Hundreds of millions of people raise and eat pork in tropical climates (South China, Indochina, Papua) without suffering from pork induced diseases.

My explanation of the ban on pork in Judaism and Islam is probably because, thousands of years ago, it was such an important animal (as the pig is economically)  that it became somehow sacred and eventually a taboo. In the following centuries the religious origin of that taboo became forgotten and only remained the idea that the pig was unclean.

A similar process of sacralization can be observed with the cow in Hinduism.

I have to lean towards Cyril on this. Pigs used be and are sacred animals to alot people just like the cow in Hinduism.

I would say eating wild boar and undomesticated pigs would be dangerous and for that i would be with fatima of what she brought across. I don't necessarily disagree with the information but today's pigs or pork are pretty much regulated for consumption, if such pigs were found to be unhealthy and/or have diseases, I don't think pork would get passed the health organisations. The same with chicken/duck/turkey/cows/sheep and goats.

As with all meats unproperly unprepared and not stored properly and not cooked properly would cause illnesses.

I have always eaten pork and there is nothing wrong with me, no worms as such, the same as with those, who i know eat pork. It is a really good source of thiamin and protein. As I'm sure you have heard before pigs are a clean animal dispite them rolling around in mud  which is also known to be good for your skin by the way

Feed them a healthy diet the better, that goes for chicken/duck/turkey and cows, goats, sheep  

Now, I am not trying to convince anyone to eat pork or sway from religious teachings.  whenever the subject of pork comes up I always say pretty mucht he same thing.

As with the saying goes, if unsure then don't

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 12:39am
My explanation of the taboo on the pig in Judaism and Islam is only a theory of course. I don't think anthropologists have found the final explanation yet. Same I think with circumcision. Only the ban on blood has been explained rationally.

What irritates me are the so-called "reasons" why pork should be dangerous. Any meat and food can be dangerous in bad conditions. In the Middle-Ages there was the Saint Anthony's fire, a disease induced by ergotized rye and bread. Everyone is still eating bread, Muslims included.

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 12:54pm

Asalaamu alaikum:

Pork is known to cause higher lipid counts in the blood stream than other meats. It is a lipid that causes more havoc with the digestion than other lipids. It is harder to digest, and is believed to stay in the veins longer. Most cardiologists with whom I have worked at at the local teaching hospital do not recommend it in the cardiac diet. It wreaks havoc with those who may have gallbladder disease. All the parasites mentioned by Sister Fatima are highly prevalent in pork. I have watched pigs in a factory farm eat their own excrement. Yuck! Allah (swt) knows best, and I will follow his recommends. After all, He created us!

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 6:52pm

Maryah wrote:

> I have watched pigs in a factory farm eat their own excrement.

I have watched chickens eating their own droppings.  I assume, then, that Muslims are not allowed to eat chicken?

ysimjee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysimjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 10:13pm
In short, Allah proclaimed pork is haraam.  He knows best. 
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 1:17am
Allah also proclaimed alcohol consumption haraam.

Why didn't he also forbade the other intoxicants as hashish and poppies which are mainly grown in Muslim countries?

ysimjee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysimjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 1:48am

If its haraam sustain from it.  Why would anyone want to make something halaal that is haraam?

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 7:03am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Yes, prohibition of pork in Islam means that Muslims should not eat it. Period. Why did Allah do that? We may not fully know His wisdom.

Yes, we may do research and investigation with present technology to learn why we should not eat pork. After 1400 years from now, we may know more along these lines. But, Muslims of 1400 years back, those of us present now, and those 1400 years or longer from now would follow it regardless of technological developments that keep changing with time.

Scientific research and discoveries with passage of time may change, but Islam remains the same.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic