IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - uncomfortable at the Mosque  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

uncomfortable at the Mosque

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 1:40pm

I have the idea of starting your own Masjid. This may sound strange but the Turkish people in my area who are very family oriented and fun loving did. Anyone is welcome, and it is a very kind place. They simply rent some space and share the cost. More people need to take a stand and I would love to start my own Masjid where women and men pray together(women in back or course), the Imam is accesible to all for questions and assistance, and the place is warm and inviting for the communty!

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

I have the idea of starting your own Masjid. This may sound strange but the Turkish people in my area who are very family oriented and fun loving did. Anyone is welcome, and it is a very kind place. They simply rent some space and share the cost. More people need to take a stand and I would love to start my own Masjid where women and men pray together(women in back or course), the Imam is accesible to all for questions and assistance, and the place is warm and inviting for the communty!

Asalaamu alaikum:

that would be a wonderful idea! Now it would be nice to not be closed away in a suffocationg little room and not see the main part of the masjid!

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Hanan Hanan wrote:

Sister Imecca, I feel bad for you and your family, because I know what you're experiencing. This happened to me also and I'm not going to mosque anymore. I'm curious to hear what the sisters and brothers experience and perhaps offer advice.

Paece, Hanan

LOL can we start our own virtual masjid here? The sisters here are kinder, and my hijab is the computer !

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2006 at 8:19pm

Edited by Hanan
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 4:36am

Originally posted by lmecca67 lmecca67 wrote:

I have been practicing Islam for about 4 years. My problem is this: When I go to the mosque, I end up going home and crying.  The sisters are not friendly to me and the brothers are not friendly to my husband. Our children are always looked at as if they are out of control.  I try to carry on  conversations but they all gather in their own cliques and I am left in a corner sitting alone. The "straw that broke the camel's back" was during Ramadan, we went to an iftar, no one spoke to me or my  family and we ended up leaving.This is everytime that we go. How many times do you get your feelings hurt before you say enough is enough?

Assalaamualaikum

It is indeed sad that some muslims behave like this. Just ignore such behaviour and you be good. Allah will give you good friends Insha Allah. It really hurts , i know... may Allah give them hidayah (and us too).

Just remember "Allah is sufficient as Protector and Helper". May Allah unite our ummah and put love and compassion in our hearts for each other.

wassalaam

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 10:21am

I am with you on  the virtual mosque!

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmAminata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 6:59pm

I'm with you on the virtual mosque too!

Mrs. Dia
liyala View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liyala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 3:23pm
So true, so True...
I have been in this area for a little over a year. At the mosque I attend, muslims' nationalities are very diverse. And most sisters tend to stay within their groups. I am still struggling with the community... sometimes i get very upset with the attitudes so I take "time-off" and don't attend the mosque for a couple of weeks; I need the time to regroup and rethink my strategies of communication ; i have tried numerous, here a sampling:

1) volunteer at the mosque any chance you get- the mosque I attend has a full-time school and I volunteer for anything and everything I can do - from cooking for the Friday food fundraiser or for the school fundraisers, at Eid to baby-sit for an hour;

2) be assertive - make your presence constant and known; I wish every sister who comes into the door; I shake their hand and make eye contact; kinda force them to acknowledge me ; if i see a sister sitting by herself; i talk to her like i've known her forever; i have met many who are new to the area;

3) I do little things around the mosque; like vacumming the prayer area after salat or hallway on weekends;

4) take the initiative - our mosque has a sister's committee but most sisters in it are from the same country and they tend to stick together and make their decisions - so i approach a sister and ask about stuff that is going on - when approached individually they are more helpful and forthcoming;

it is only now, after a whole year that the sisters have begun to take the initiative to talk to me. Good-Luck!

liyal.a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic