IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Great love for jesus led me to Islaam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great love for jesus led me to Islaam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cypriot Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 9:32am
The History i am talking about is that before the Ottomans came to Anatolia, Christianity existed. And it was Ataturk that destroyed the Christian element in the 20th Century. Including 400,000 Pontian Greeks killed, 1.5 million Greek refugees moving into Greece, over 2 Million Armenians killed in Genocide. This is what i mean.
Cypriot Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cypriot Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 10:06am

Now coming to point # 1, which is basically the authorship of these four gospels. Again, my brother Cypriot Boy, does seem to admit that Luke and Mark were not among the 12 disciples of the Jesus and only argues about they being the first hand witnesses among the masses who witnessed the miracles performed by Jesus. Kindly note the three references that he is presenting, one is specific occassion where he tend to allude the presence of Mark at the time of arrest of Jesus (quoted by Mathew) but then Cypriot Boy doesn't bother to provide the Biblical reference and two general references that Luke was also present around there when he was traveling with Paul and the second general reference is from multitude of people (around 5000) had witnessed the miracle performed by Jesus. Is this sufficient to assume that infact these two gentlemen actually authored the gospels which bears their name? Before we go into this claim, I even decline to admit the evidence brother Cypriot Boy has presented in the form of Luke 1 introduction. This passage clearly states that he is only verifying the account given to him by an eyewitness source. Thus he himself was not the eyewitness of this gospel. Here is what is written in this introduction and I am repeating it for ease of understanding

You seem to have read the Bible where Jesus taught that the Gospel would be acted by the word of God and that his followers will write it. For to write it you must be inspired by the Holy Spirit. As with Luke, you state that i verify the account. No my freind, to be a Christian you  must beleive and have faith. As a muslim you may beleive that that is not enouh in what you have said before, but the Bible is the holiest book that has been inspired by God at the beginning then brought to life by the word of God in the end.

So my brother Cypriot Boy, its rather encouraging that we can travel along this path to identify the truth. Let us come along and see what the present day Christian scholars talk about the authorship of these 4 synoptic gospels. As yet we are looking at just the two already admittedly known authors that they weren't among the 12 disciples. Now from the above evidence at least this author of "Gospel according to Luke" is out of our list of direct Witnesses. For the Mark, since you have not provided any specific reference from your Bible therefore I shall keep its burdon onto you till that time to comment anything about it.

If you must ask..

51 " A young manm wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus. When they seized him, he fled naked, leaving his garment behind" (Mark). Its been stated by many that Mark was describing himself because this  information is not referred to in any of the other 3 synoptic gospels.

As yet we are looking at just the two already admittedly known authors that they weren't among the 12 disciples

Ok i stated firstly the 4 synoptic authors, then YOU stated the 12 disciples. And YOU did not answer about Saul who heard the the word of God ( Jesus) and converted himself to Paul. You do not have to be a witness to God at any one time. This is quite interesting isnt it? Before the word of God was shown on Earth do we dismiss all other information? No..

Hence you also conclude that they weren't amoung the 12 but just like us to see how could they be assumed to be the direct eye witness. First of all, if they weren't among the 12, I would not even consider any of testimony as they don't qualify to speak of anything about Jesus merely from a audeince standpoint of view. Can they claim to know everything about what Jesus taught and talked about? No, never ever. How can they be the eyewitnesses of all the details even the personal details about Jesus, if they were merely the bystanders of some of the occassions? Its not a blind faith then what do you call it? No sane person can accept their testimony, not atleast here in USA.

I answered this above. How can you a muslim know what Muhammed taught about? But you can and you live in the year 2005. I call it faith in God and the power of what he can do. Blind faith is where you do not know where you are going to and that you hope for the best. I have faith.

But your own quote from introduction to Luke refutes your assumption. His evidences are chain of transmission from the first eyewitness and not himself being the first witness. Kindly read the verse # 2 again and see what it tells us." 2just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word."

Didnt the closest people who heard what Muhammed said and wrote it down? But by your assumptions it is not reliable for they were not in the cave where he heard the Angel Gabriel. As for the above it states the FIRST eye-witnessess. Your writings does not make sense actually.

Oh, so we are only looking at the possibliities here???. And what value we can be assigned to this possiblity. According to your estimates 2/5000 you said....Hmm. Do you think this is justified to consider this an authentic authorship. Don't you have any better than this number? I reasonably admitted the 12 disciples as they could, perhaps, may provide some more through and accurate testimony about Jesus, though the actual would have been direct account of Jesus himself. But now my brother is satisfied with the possiblities that too of 2/5000 or after going throught the account of introduction to gospel of Luke, it would be just 1/5000 or you may even argue that it should be 1/4999. Hmm...Need to travel a long distance. Nevertheless, I hope that this journey towards the truth shall enlighten us to find the ultimate truth.

As we say in Greek the phrase 'pooooo' which means you seem to have taken yourself down a long road which is the wrong way. I said possibilities in which you stated that it can only be the 12 disciples who saw all the miracles Jesus did. And your waffling about numbers is your doing not mine. Before i stated the number from the Holy Bible.

O my dear brother, where are you living? I am just asking for one name out of them who wrote the "Gospel according to Mark" (as author of Luke has been confirmed that he wasn't the eyewitness), based on solid evidence and not a flimsy possibility. Can you provide us this? I shall await till then. Take care.

I have above and apart from the Bible like you have the hadiths right.. the  extensive and satisfyingly circumstantial account of Mark's life was written by Severus, Bishop of Al-Ushmunain, in the 10th century. According to this account, Mark was the nephew of Barnabas, who was cousin to Peter's wife. Mark was one of the servants at the wedding feast at Cana who poured out the water that Jesus Christ turned to : wine.

God bless . I do not need to say hope God leads us to the right path because faith is a personal thing and only can God do that.

jello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 11:26am

Hello

51 " A young manm wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus. When they seized him, he fled naked, leaving his garment behind" (Mark). Its been stated by many that Mark was describing himself because this  information is not referred to in any of the other 3 synoptic gospels.

Since when does a person describe himself in the third person... Remember that at the begining of "Luke's Gospel", the "Luke" says "I considered", "I saw"... so who is this person describing what happened to "Mark" ???

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 11:33am

Originally posted by Cypriot Boy Cypriot Boy wrote:

The History i am talking about is that before the Ottomans came to Anatolia, Christianity existed. And it was Ataturk that destroyed the Christian element in the 20th Century. Including 400,000 Pontian Greeks killed, 1.5 million Greek refugees moving into Greece, over 2 Million Armenians killed in Genocide. This is what i mean.

You know nothing about the history then i am not eager to discuss with you,i need some silence for an week...feel free to read and share whether you do wrong...

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Cypriot Boy Cypriot Boy wrote:

You seem to have read the Bible where Jesus taught that the Gospel would be acted by the word of God and that his followers will write it. For to write it you must be inspired by the Holy Spirit. As with Luke, you state that i verify the account. No my freind, to be a Christian you  must beleive and have faith. As a muslim you may beleive that that is not enouh in what you have said before, but the Bible is the holiest book that has been inspired by God at the beginning then brought to life by the word of God in the end.

So you mean to acknowledge that you don't care when the author wrote it based upon your faith as he must had been inspired by God and only then he could wrote what is written in it. Wow, this is totally amazing. Anyhow, let us see who these writers were. As for the gospel according to John is concerned, I have already shown (with reference from Australian Catholic School) that the author is anonymous, so how would anyone put his faith that the author was actually inspired by the God? Since we don't know who wrote down this book how would you put your faith that it was an inspired work?

Now, let see what Christian scholars say about the author of gospel according to Mark. Here is one of the remarks and reference is given below for anyone to look at it.

"Although the book is anonymous, apart from the ancient heading "According to Mark" in manuscripts, it has traditionally been assigned to John Mark, in whose mother's house (at Jerusalem) Christians assembled (Acts 12:12). This Mark was a cousin of Barnabas (Col 4:10) and accompanied Barnabas and Paul on a missionary journey (Acts 12:25; 13:3: 15:36-39). He appears in Pauline letters ( 2 Tim 4:11; Philippians 1:24) and with Peter (1 Peter 5:13). Papias (ca. A.D. 135) described Mark as Peter's "interpreter," a view found in other patristic writers. Petrine influence should not, however, be exaggerated. The evangelist has put together various oral and possibly written sources--miracle stories, parables, sayings, stories of controversies, and the passion--so as to speak of the crucified Messiah for Mark's own day " [Introduction to Mark; New American Bible]  The reference to this passage is no one else other than the Christians scholars themselves. Its strange that they have not yet conveyed this info to their own people. But why?

Quote If you must ask..

Why to ask brother? Truth shall reveal to itself.

Wow, what a conclusion! Brother, really is this kind of replies you get from your churches? Do you get satisfied with these replies? I am really astonished? Especially look at the source of this info that I have highlighted and underlined; By whom? Who stated that?

Ok i stated firstly the 4 synoptic authors, then YOU stated the 12 disciples. And YOU did not answer about Saul who heard the the word of God ( Jesus) and converted himself to Paul.

Alright, my brother now I think we are heading towards the root cause of the shape of Christianity that is existing in now a days. You have rightly pointed out that it is basically the St. Paul (or Saul you may call) doctrine that we are looking at the present day Christianity. By the way who was St. Paul? Is there any gospel attributed to his name as well? Wasn't he the one who used to persecute the followers of Jesus but never ever met Jesus all through his life? Of course then the story goes on with his conversion in which he met Jesus in his vision and from then onward we see St. Paul overriding all other apostles' teachings. The only scriptures (epistles) in NT with known authorship are those of by St. Paul or people after him. So, now all our attentions require to accept the testimony of St. Paul about how and what Jesus used to teach in his life time on earth than from the teachings of Jesus himself or the disciples of Jesus. 

You do not have to be a witness to God at any one time. This is quite interesting isnt it? Before the word of God was shown on Earth do we dismiss all other information? No..

Yes, indeed its quite interesting. Forget about Jesus what he said, forget about all his disciples who lived with him and just listen to St. Paul as only he recieved Jesus in his vision??? By that account why did you stop at limiting your gospels till Revelations. What about the later day saints who all claim to have vision of Jesus etc? Aren't their account not worthy of being in the same category of inspired scriptures as those of Paul, for atleast they are better than the anonymous writers.

I answered this above. How can you a muslim know what Muhammed taught about? But you can and you live in the year 2005. I call it faith in God and the power of what he can do. Blind faith is where you do not know where you are going to and that you hope for the best. I have faith.

My brother, O my dear brother, before anyone put his faith, he must verify the authenticity of the source of such an information. I know the fact, that Quran was revealed to Prophet Mohammad, not from my faith, but from the authentic historic sources which has shown beyond doubt that Quran was revealed to prophet Mohammad. Its not based upon my faith. However, from then onward, its the faith that calls to accept the contents of Quran through my belief on the Prophethood of Mohammad and not before that. Therefore, your request to accept the anonymous authorship of gospel writers on the bases of faith alone is not understood.

Quote Didnt the closest people who heard what Muhammed said and wrote it down? But by your assumptions it is not reliable for they were not in the cave where he heard the Angel Gabriel. As for the above it states the FIRST eye-witnessess. Your writings does not make sense actually.

Well, now atleast you would understand the difference that I am talking about the evidence and faith. My question for evidence is with respect to known authorship of a holy scripture who claimed prophethood; like we know about prophethood of Mohammad. After that the contents of his scripture/writtings are just a matter of faith in him. So with anonymous authorship of a peice of writting is attributed in whom are you putting your faith onto? 

Quote As we say in Greek the phrase 'pooooo' which means you seem to have taken yourself down a long road which is the wrong way. I said possibilities in which you stated that it can only be the 12 disciples who saw all the miracles Jesus did. And your waffling about numbers is your doing not mine. Before i stated the number from the Holy Bible.

Just leave everything aside as what I said and you understood or vice verse. Just let us know the authors of the four gospels in NT from any authentic sources that world knows of.

I have above and apart from the Bible like you have the hadiths right.. the  extensive and satisfyingly circumstantial account of Mark's life was written by Severus, Bishop of Al-Ushmunain, in the 10th century. According to this account, Mark was the nephew of Barnabas, who was cousin to Peter's wife. Mark was one of the servants at the wedding feast at Cana who poured out the water that Jesus Christ turned to : wine.

Where are your references other than mere stating the names of certain personalities? Quote some books or websites, or aritcles their date of publication etc to authenticate your reply. My above mentioned reference from NAB does take care of all this info that you are trying to convey and yet it says the book (gospel according to Mark) is anonymous. Period. If you have anything other than this, I would be glad to look at it other than that I leave it to you how you reconcile based upon your faith alone.

varshaken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varshaken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 9:12pm
Hi All!!!!!!!

Sorry to break in.  But I find these posts very interesting and very informative.  I don't know much about Islaam or Christianity as I a m a Buddhist.:-)  Though Joyia and Boy have explained a lot, I still have some questions.

Are the Bible and Koran completely correct? 

I have read somewhere that they were not written by Jesus or Muhamad and that they were written by their desciples after their death.  Koran has got some beautiful truths, but still sometimes I feel that what they say are fairy tales.

Varshaken, the Samurai.
jello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2005 at 7:50am

Hello to varshaken

We Muslims believe that the Quraan was a revelation from Allah to Muhammad, so it was not "written" by Muhammad or his disciples. Of course, there are so many things to consider, so perhaps varshaken could ask his specific questions about the Quran so that we can answer them...

varshaken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varshaken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2005 at 8:20pm
Hi Jello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I like the simplicity of Islaam.:-)  We should just submit to Allaah and everything will be fine.:-)  But when I read Koran, I feel it to be complex.

How can we know that Koran is the word of God?  How can I believe that Muhamad is sent by God?

Thank you.

Varshaken, the Samurai.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic