IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Europe
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Spain  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Spain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Spain
    Posted: 27 April 2005 at 10:06am

We have underestimated the importance of 800 years of Islamic society and culture in Spain between the 8th and 15th centuries. The contribution of Muslim Spain to the preservation of classical learning during the Dark Ages, and to the first flowering of the Renaissance, has long been recognized. But Islamic Spain was much more than a mere larder where Hellenistic knowledge was kept for later consumption by the emerging modern world. Not only did Muslim Spain gather and preserve the intellectual content of ancient Greek and Roman civilization, it also interpreted and expanded upon that civilization, and made a vital contribution of its own in so many fields of human endeavour -- in science, astronomy, mathematics, algebra (itself an Arabic word), law, history, medicine, pharmacology, optics, agriculture, architecture, theology, music. Averroes and Avenzoor, like their counterparts Avicenna and Rhazes in the East, contributed to the study and practice of medicine in ways from which Europe benefited for centuries afterwards.

Islam nurtured and preserved the quest for learning. In the words of (the Prophet's) tradition "the ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr." Cordoba in the 10th century was by far the most civilized city of Europe. We know of lending libraries in Spain at the time King Alfred was making terrible blunders with the culinary arts in this country. It is said that the 400,000 volumes of its ruler's library amounted to more books than all the of the rest of Europe put together. That was made possible because the Muslim world acquired from China the skill of making paper more than four hundred years before the rest of non-Muslim Europe. Many of the traits on which Europe prides itself came to it from Muslim Spain. Diplomacy, free trade, open borders, the techniques of academic research, of anthropology, etiquette, fashion, alternative medicine, hospitals, all came from this great city of cities. Mediaeval Islam was a religion of remarkable tolerance for its time, allowing Jews and Christians to practice their inherited beliefs, and setting an example which was not, unfortunately, copied for many centuries in the West. The surprise, ladies and gentlemen, is the extent to which Islam has been a part of Europe for so long, first in Spain, then in the Balkans, and the extent to which it has contributed so much towards the civilization which we all too often think of, wrongly, as entirely Western. Islam is part of our past and present, in all fields of human endeavour. It has helped to create modern Europe. It is part of our own inheritance, not a thing apart.

(Source: HRH, The Prince of Wales, �Islam And The West�)
Know your enemy!
No time to waste. Act now!
Tomorrow it will be too late
What You Don�t Know Can Kill You

bharatiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharatiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 10:19am
Thats great

I heard it somewhere.  Islam was glorious since its inception. 

What is the population of Muslims in Spain?

THE SOIL OF BHARAT IS MY HIGHEST HEAVEN, THE GOOD OF BHARAT IS MY GOOD.
Mustafaa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustafaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 2:48am

Originally posted by bharatiya bharatiya wrote:

Thats great

I heard it somewhere.  Islam was glorious since its inception. 

What is the population of Muslims in Spain?

Sorry not to be able to answer you about the number of Muslims in Spain.

I just want to say that all the native Muslim population of Spain were driven out of Spain in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries.

I think the current Muslim population of Spain consists of immigrants and converts.

Edited by Mustafaa
There is no deity but Allah. Muhammad is the (last) Messenger of Allah.
Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 2:17pm

A glimpse of Spainish history.

http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/travelogue1.htm

Enjoy....

Know your enemy!

bharatiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharatiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 9:15pm
Asalam walaikum!!

I find you people to be funny.

Just look at the history of Kashmir here.

It had been a part of Bharat from where 'hindus' were ethnically cleansed.

And you people talk about Spain being Muslim.
Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 9:57am

Originally posted by bharatiya bharatiya wrote:

It had been a part of Bharat from where 'hindus' were ethnically cleansed.

And you people talk about Spain being Muslim.

You're a funny man/woman. I mean the Muslim ruled India for 1000 years - ethnically cleansed 'hindus' - but 'hindus' are still 680 million vs 140 million Muslims.

As for Muslim Spain is concerned - don't forget the Christian Crusaders murdered 170,000 and took another 35000 of your young boys and girls as slaves to Europe. Oops! But you're not Jewish, or you?

Know your enemy!

bharatiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharatiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2005 at 1:54am

LOL, We were talking about Kashmir.

Let Allah free Rehmat.

Amen!

Edited by bharatiya
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2005 at 10:51am
Muslims did not ethnically cleansed Kashmir. The people living there converted to Islam. People living in many other countries such as Persia, Egypt, Turkey etc. did the same.
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic