IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Conspiracy Theories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rushdie  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushdie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 11:41am
Originally posted by aspacia aspacia wrote:

Rushdie is hilarious, and jabs at religion in a Monty Python manner.  This is western satire.

Watch some old Monty Python flicks, The Life of Brian for insight.LOL

LOL: you should enjoy this slap against the religious crusades:
http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=montypythonandtheholygrail

Hilarious.Smile

You finding Rushdie and Life of Brian "Hilarious" says a lot about your own sense of 'humour'. Despite all the hullabaloo about Monty Python, I fail to see whats so hilarious about it! There are times when it is downright unfunny and simply disgusting! I fail to understand how 5 minutes of screen time dedicated to vomitting is hilarious (beginning of life) Only the HolyGrail was relatively funny, but that too, in comparison. Give me Blackadder any day. 

Though I will agree that there throughout the entire flick, I laughed at perhaps 1 or 2 scenes (and I'm not a christian nor a jew, so my view was neutral). . . Hardly considered that hilarious OR worthy of time. They might have the accidental joke or two, but otherwise naah. 

I dont think Rushdie OR Monty Python do justice to British Humour.

Edited by Chrysalis - 17 July 2008 at 11:44am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
aspacia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Originally posted by aspacia aspacia wrote:

Rushdie is hilarious, and jabs at religion in a Monty Python manner.  This is western satire.

Watch some old Monty Python flicks, The Life of Brian for insight.LOL

LOL: you should enjoy this slap against the religious crusades:
http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=montypythonandtheholygrail

Hilarious.Smile

You finding Rushdie and Life of Brian "Hilarious" says a lot about your own sense of 'humour'. Despite all the hullabaloo about Monty Python, I fail to see whats so hilarious about it! There are times when it is downright unfunny and simply disgusting! I fail to understand how 5 minutes of screen time dedicated to vomitting is hilarious (beginning of life) Only the HolyGrail was relatively funny, but that too, in comparison. Give me Blackadder any day. 

Though I will agree that there throughout the entire flick, I laughed at perhaps 1 or 2 scenes (and I'm not a christian nor a jew, so my view was neutral). . . Hardly considered that hilarious OR worthy of time. They might have the accidental joke or two, but otherwise naah. 

I dont think Rushdie OR Monty Python do justice to British Humour.

I am a westerner, and hence I generally understand British wit, especially since I have numerous UK relatives.  Monty Python grossed millions in the West, and we own three of these movies.  My point is, I doubt that an individual from your neck of the woods really understands their humor, just as I do not understand what is funny regarding the negative caricatures of Christians and Jews in Arab media.

Also, I am a Deist.

Edited by aspacia - 17 July 2008 at 4:39pm
Curious
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2008 at 10:29am
I suppose we should let him be. The poor chap seems to be jumping just on your attention and, of course, for the assumed superiority of his wit and humour.

Something on which all pobre football hooligans thrive on.
ejdavid3 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2008 at 6:53pm
aspacia - You wrote: "This is western satire." Various others post about "Death To Rushdie" from their family rec-rooms. [Remember Duanes World]

Two billion Muslims and they never did get Rushdie? Me thinks they did not much give a damn.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2008 at 9:13pm
Relax. Pobre part time mothers can create only such specimen.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 5:58am

I am a westerner, and hence I generally understand British wit, especially since I have numerous UK relatives.  Monty Python grossed millions in the West, and we own three of these movies.  My point is, I doubt that an individual from your neck of the woods really understands their humor, just as I do not understand what is funny regarding the negative caricatures of Christians and Jews in Arab media.

Also, I am a Deist.

I would have you know that "my" neck of the woods have had British Tyrann... oops, I meant Influence for 200+ yrs. Plus as long as a person has a basic knowledge of the issue being poked at, and has a sense of humour - he/she will find a good joke funny. Which is why even a homophobe can/may laugh at a joke by Ellen Degeneres - despite disagreeing with her.

The reasons why Monty Python broke all records was because they used a different approach, and got rave-reviews. And we all know how a hype can be created. They also were gutsy . . . and audiences like that. And the reason I gave u an example of Blackadder was bcz despite being influenced by Monty Python - the same person who finds MP unfunny, finds the other funny.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
aspacia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Also, I am a Deist.

Quote I would have you know that "my" neck of the woods have had British Tyrann... oops, I meant Influence for 200+ yrs.

Yes, the British controlled "The Jewel in the Crown" (India) for 300 years, and did horribly discriminate against the indigenous people.  Ghandi  was subject to this discrimination. Hey, they did introduce you to the Parliamentary system, and outlawed suttee.

Quote Plus as long as a person has a basic knowledge of the issue being poked at, and has a sense of humour - he/she will find a good joke funny. Which is why even a homophobe can/may laugh at a joke by Ellen Degeneres - despite disagreeing with her.

My point is that many Westerners ridicule religions, and especially politicians,  and have done so for a long time, especially in the U.S.  You may have not been exposed to our humor. 

I am not a homophobe, and am an advocate for gay rights, however, I never found Ellen funny, and neither did my other half.

Quote The reasons why Monty Python broke all records was because they used a different approach, and got rave-reviews. And we all know how a hype can be created. They also were gutsy . . . and audiences like that. And the reason I gave u an example of Blackadder was bcz despite being influenced by Monty Python - the same person who finds MP unfunny, finds the other funny.

Never saw Blackadder. 

Perhaps it was the new approach, however we often love movies the critics hate, and hate movies the critics love.  Annie Hall comes to mind.Wink
Curious
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2008 at 10:52am

Hey, they did introduce you to the Parliamentary system, and outlawed suttee.

Parliamentary system doesnt work for me, and Islam outlawed stuff like that centuries ago. . . no biggie.

I am not a homophobe, and am an advocate for gay rights, however, I never found Ellen funny, and neither did my other half.

Just an example dude/ette.

Never saw Blackadder. 

Too bad!. . . ur missing out. Smile

Edited by Chrysalis - 22 July 2008 at 10:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic