IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your Favorite Recipe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favorite Recipe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 1:42pm

Hi Clara,

You could substitute your favorite beans (white kidney, pinto or garbanzo) for the meat in the chili and rice recipe!  Leave them whole or mash them, however you prefer.

Our only food prohibitions are pork, blood and alcohol (and of course, our meat must be halal - slaughtered under certain conditions).  It is pork that causes the most "concerns" as there are hidden pork products in food you would never suspect - so we read our labels carefully!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Clarabelle View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 1:53pm

Thanks Ummziba! I will try your suggestions. I like beans, i guess I could use other meat substitutes too, like quorn.

You have led me to another question! What conditions is Halal meat slaughtered under? I think I remember from religious studies at school (a long time ago now!) that prayers are said while the animal is killed. That is about all I can remember.

I know what you mean about things being in products you would not believe. I avoid gelatine, I know that this is sometimes made from pork so I know where you are coming from!

Clara

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 2:14pm

Clara,

You can find a really great explaination of halal food and about meat here:

http://www.eat-halal.com/halal.shtml

If you like beans, you might enjoy this recipe:

Bean and Pasta Salad:

1 cup (before cooking) small pasta (elbows, shells, bow ties...)

I (540ml/19oz) can mixed beans, rinsed well and drained

1/2 cup each sweet red and green pepper, cut in slivers

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1/4 cup diced red onion, 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano

4 tbls. olive oil, 4 tbls. lemon juice

Cook pasta and drain, cool.  Mix all ingredients together except last two.  Put olive oil and lemon juice in a jar with a tight fitting lid, shake vigorously.  Pour over salad.  Mix well.  Cover and chill at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.  This salad keeps well for up to 2-3 days in fridge.

Peace, ummziba.

Muslimah4Life View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 4:38pm

Nachos

1pound of ground beef

Velveta Cheese 1 poound

Tortilla Chips(the round ones)

Green Chillies

Directions

Cook the  ground beef untill done(drain)

Take the cheese and chillies and put in a crock pot and melt stirring on occasions Then put the meat in the same pot and mix it in well

then serve on your tortilla chips

I like this dish with salsa

Its really quick and easy and kids love it.

Clarabelle View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 1:26am

Thanks again Ummziba! I am going to have so many lovely recipes, I printed the Pepper and Feta one out to use later.

I looked at the explanation of Halal meat. I remember now that our religious studies teacher told us how the animal's blood pressure dropped so dramtically when the practice was done correctly that is was one of the least painful ways of the animal being killed.

Anyway, while doing a bit more research, I found a link that may be of interest to those with a 'sweet tooth':

http://www.halalsweeties.com/

Enjoy!

Clara

Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:09am

AlSalam 3alaikom

does anyone have a good spagetti recipe.

salam

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:57am

Assalamu alaikum Rose,

I hope you meant spaghetti sauce!  Here goes:

Very finely chop (or leave chunky if you prefer chunky sauce!): 3 cloves garlic, 1 large onion, 1 can mushrooms (drained), 2 small ribs of celery, 1 large carrot, 1 sweet pepper.  Fry in bottom of large pot with a tbls. of olive oil, until onions are soft.

Add: 3 cans diced tomatoes (156 ml/28 oz), 3 cans tomato paste (156 ml/5 1/2 oz.) and three heaping tbls. white sugar.

Bring to soft boil, then simmer for one hour.  Serve on favorite pasta.  This makes enough for two big meals - eat one now, freeze the rest of the sauce for later!

If you like meatballs, add meatballs to sauce after 15 mins. of cooking, then cook for minimum of 4 hours, stirring occassionaly.

Meatballs: to ground beef (or turkey, lamb, or combination) add very finely chopped: one large onion, 1 celery rib, 1 sweet pepper, 1/2 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese, 2 cloves garlic, 3/4 cup ketchup and enough dried bread crumbs to hold meat together well.  (You can add some bran with the crumbs if you like.)

Roll meat into approximately 2 1/2 inch balls and drop into gently boiling sauce.

Before serving, spoon off excess grease from meatballs from around edges of pot.

(*Meatballs can also be baked in the oven instead, they take about 20 minutes at 350 degrees - then serve like that, or drop into hot spaghetti sauce for last 15 minutes of cooking.)

Hope this is decipherable!  Happy cooking!

Peace, ummziba.

Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 1:22pm

Al Salam 3alaikom,

Thanks ummziba thats exactly what i wanted and it looks yummy.

I will try it inshallah.

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic