IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lettered Arabic  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lettered Arabic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
truthseeker100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lettered Arabic
    Posted: 25 October 2006 at 12:34pm

Originally posted by Cyril Cyril wrote:

Truthseeker

Anything you do in Islam is to attain eternal life in paradise. Does Islam mean also "eternal life"?

And when Muslims fight for their faith what does Islam mean?

Your position does not make sense. In the end, the meaning of Islam dissolves into thousand meanings and this discussion becomes pointless.

Read my post no. 3 in this thread. And let me also quote IC Imam when he said, " Your question can be answered in one sentence or in five volumes." 

I am, most of the times, a silent reader here. And I don't want to learn from you if you have so called "Arabic Scholarship" in your mind who are busy to find fault in Qur'an.

Can we stick to the topic now?  

Edited by truthseeker100
And, behold, with every hardship comes ease:
Qur'an 94: 5
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 12:12pm
Truthseeker

Anything you do in Islam is to attain eternal life in paradise. Does Islam mean also "eternal life"?

And when Muslims fight for their faith what does Islam mean?

Your position does not make sense. In the end, the meaning of Islam dissolves into thousand meanings and this discussion becomes pointless.

Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 5:42am

Angel

I did not want to go into theological matters but remain in the linguistic realm.

You and Truthseeker do not seem to accept the linguistic fact that the word "islaam" does not mean peace.

As you keep drawing the discussion to a religious level where Islam as a religion is supposed to mean peace, then I can follow suit and ask you what do you think of the many "jihad" verses in the Quran?
If Islam means peace, does it also mean war?

Anything one does in Islam is by submission to Allah to attain peace. I have already made it clear in my third post.

I agree with Angel that we should stick to the topic.

Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 2:56am
Angel

I did not want to go into theological matters but remain in the linguistic realm.

You and Truthseeker do not seem to accept the linguistic fact that the word "islaam" does not mean peace.

As you keep drawing the discussion to a religious level where Islam as a religion is supposed to mean peace, then I can follow suit and ask you what do you think of the many "jihad" verses in the Quran?
If Islam means peace, does it also mean war?
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by truthseeker100 truthseeker100 wrote:

ISLAM is an Arabic term for Submission to the Will of God. The root of the word Islam, is S-L-M, which also means Peace.

Can we stick to this

My time learning islam, the word means peace. And for the fact that muslims say islam (the religion) is/means peace, therefore goes in line with the meaning of the word.  

So can we now get back to the lettered arabic glossy of terms that this thread was kinda intended for

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 12:13pm
Truthseeker

You must thank not me but the Egyptian Sakhr Company. If you think their Arabic scholarship is "irrelevant", then I wonder what can teach you the meaning of Arabic words.
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 10:59am

Truthseeker

I can only tell you what an Arabic dictionary says.
We know that islaam is the name derived from the verb aslama.

So here is what for example the online Sakhr dictionary says of the different meanings of aslama:

become a Muslim, follow , <>splitString("lout","Ar");lout<>splitString("lower oneself before","Ar");<>splitString("be or become submissive","Ar"); , lower oneself before , be or become submissive , <>splitString("acquiesce","Ar");acquiesce<>splitString("surrender to","Ar"); , surrender to , <>splitString("repress","Ar");repress , <>splitString("takedown","Ar");takedown , <>splitString("surrender","Ar");surrender , <>splitString("submit","Ar");submit , <>splitString("succumb","Ar");succumb , <>splitString("yield","Ar");yield , <>splitString("conquer","Ar");conquer<>splitString("act in abjectness before","Ar");<>splitString("give in","Ar");<>splitString("cringe before","Ar");<>splitString("degrade oneself before","Ar");<>splitString("give oneself over to","Ar");<>splitString("give in to","Ar");<>splitString("defer to","Ar");<>splitString("grovel before","Ar");<>splitString("bow to","Ar");<>splitString("be governed by","Ar");<>splitString("accede to(someone's wishes)","Ar");<>splitString("truckle before","Ar");<>splitString("be or become yielding","Ar");<>splitString("yield to","Ar");<>splitString("stoop to","Ar");<>splitString("succumb to","Ar");<>splitString("submit to","Ar"); , act in abjectness before , give in , cringe before , degrade oneself before , give oneself over to , give in to , defer to , grovel before , bow to , be governed by , accede to(someone's wishes) , truckle before , be or become yielding , yield to , stoop to , succumb to , submit to, betray.

You notice there is no mention of peace.

We can try the same with another derivative from the root SLM, salaama(t), you find in "ma3a s-salaama", a kind of "good bye".

Here is what the Sakhr says:

faultlessness , <>splitString("flawlessness","Ar");flawlessness , <>splitString("correctness","Ar");correctness , <>splitString("healthiness","Ar");healthiness , <>splitString("intactness","Ar");intactness , <>splitString("validity","Ar");validity , <>splitString("health","Ar");health , <>splitString("rightness","Ar");rightness.

Again no mention of peace.

Your post is well written, but irrelevant. 

The point is the root, S-L-M, means peace. The influence of "peace" can not be ruled out in the derivative "Islam".

Thank you for your efforts anyway.

Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 9:23am
Truthseeker

I can only tell you what an Arabic dictionary says.
We know that islaam is the name derived from the verb aslama.

So here is what for example the online Sakhr dictionary says of the different meanings of aslama:

become a Muslim, follow , <>splitString("lout","Ar");lout<>splitString("lower oneself before","Ar");<>splitString("be or become submissive","Ar"); , lower oneself before , be or become submissive , <>splitString("acquiesce","Ar");acquiesce<>splitString("surrender to","Ar"); , surrender to , <>splitString("repress","Ar");repress , <>splitString("takedown","Ar");takedown , <>splitString("surrender","Ar");surrender , <>splitString("submit","Ar");submit , <>splitString("succumb","Ar");succumb , <>splitString("yield","Ar");yield , <>splitString("conquer","Ar");conquer<>splitString("act in abjectness before","Ar");<>splitString("give in","Ar");<>splitString("cringe before","Ar");<>splitString("degrade oneself before","Ar");<>splitString("give oneself over to","Ar");<>splitString("give in to","Ar");<>splitString("defer to","Ar");<>splitString("grovel before","Ar");<>splitString("bow to","Ar");<>splitString("be governed by","Ar");<>splitString("accede to(someone's wishes)","Ar");<>splitString("truckle before","Ar");<>splitString("be or become yielding","Ar");<>splitString("yield to","Ar");<>splitString("stoop to","Ar");<>splitString("succumb to","Ar");<>splitString("submit to","Ar"); , act in abjectness before , give in , cringe before , degrade oneself before , give oneself over to , give in to , defer to , grovel before , bow to , be governed by , accede to(someone's wishes) , truckle before , be or become yielding , yield to , stoop to , succumb to , submit to, betray.

You notice there is no mention of peace.

We can try the same with another derivative from the root SLM, salaama(t), you find in "ma3a s-salaama", a kind of "good bye".

Here is what the Sakhr says:

faultlessness , <>splitString("flawlessness","Ar");flawlessness , <>splitString("correctness","Ar");correctness , <>splitString("healthiness","Ar");healthiness , <>splitString("intactness","Ar");intactness , <>splitString("validity","Ar");validity , <>splitString("health","Ar");health , <>splitString("rightness","Ar");rightness.

Again no mention of peace.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic