IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Common Phrases  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Phrases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 3:15am

Ummiziba, we understand what you say  

the greeting "Salaamu Alaykum" everyone well at least muslims mention it on their posts, to have a glossy of terms, how can you say that you cannot provide the help some people need when nearly all muslims use the english lettered arabic and here in the forum?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 7:58am

Edited by Hanan
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 1:43pm

As Salamu Alaikum

I think there is some misunderstanding here.

The thread started here was to teach the Arabic Language.

I totally agree with Ummziba, one cannot learn the Arabic Language using transliteration, it is very confusing. I am speaking from experience.

Let me give you an example.

The word ����  is either written as Azeem or Atheem or Adheem.

Now asking for translations of commonly used phrases is something else.  Even these phrases cannot be translated properly. I was corrected by a brother in this forum sometime ago, regarding a bad translation. Alhamdulillah he showed me why it is not good to use translations from others even if they are commonly used.

I will try and post a link to that post after Ramadan - need to find it.

Insha Allah after Ramadan we can try and come up with some ideas in order to learn from each other.

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

As Salamu Alaikum

I totally agree with Ummziba, one cannot learn the Arabic Language using transliteration, it is very confusing. I am speaking from experience.

Now asking for translations of commonly used phrases is something else.  Even these phrases cannot be translated properly. I was corrected by a brother in this forum sometime ago, regarding a bad translation. Alhamdulillah he showed me why it is not good to use translations from others even if they are commonly used.

Insha Allah after Ramadan we can try and come up with some ideas in order to learn from each other.

Salams

Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Ramadan Mubarik to all.

However, grasshopper, there is a light at the end of the tunnel of confusion if you try really, really hard.

(Fahemteenee wa lay la?  Ma laysh.  Ninhowil, In Shah Allah.)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:35am
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

As Salamu Alaikum

Salams

Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Ramadan Mubarik to all.

However, grasshopper, there is a light at the end of the tunnel of confusion if you try really, really hard.

As Salamu Alaikum

Sis Herjihad, I agree with you but not everyone can handle confusion well, some can, others cannot. Arabic is a difficult language to learn and it will be beneficial to all if we can avoid aspects that lead to confusion, since there are no experts amongst us and we are all learning from each other.

To prove a point in the Lettered Arabic thread, there was a lot of output on the meaning of the word Islam, peace or submission or both????????????

I truly welcome any feedback from you or any other members, be it criticisms or comments, however, I do take offence when I am called a grasshopper.  Am I an insect bugging everyone in this forum? Maybe I am missing something here, some humor or sorts, I am not sure; so you or someone can enlighten me on that. I guess I must have lost my sense of humor.

I appeal to all members, Ummziba is putting a lot time and effort posting these lessons for us, lets not derail it before it gets off the ground. Insha Allah, many of us are going to benefit from this new section.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala reward her for her untiring efforts. Ameen!

Please sister do not stop posting, because I have noticed it is a while since you posted, there are others who are willing to learn.

I appeal to all members who are Arabs or proficient in the Arabic Language to pitch in and help us learn this beautiful language. Come On people, share your knowledge with us, I am sure we have many, many members whose first or second language is Arabic. Those members who are comfortable using transliterations - do so, but we need to have Arabic script along side the transliteration, one cannot learn Arabic with the Arabic script and the objective here is to learn to understand the Glorious Qur'an, without referring to translations or transliterations.

Insha Allah I am sure we can work together to achieve something here.

btw sister Herjihad the only words I understood of your arabic was In Shah Allah 

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 1:39pm
in (if) shaa'a (wills) llaah (God)= if God wills= God willing

Arabic makes a distinction between short and long vowels. The long vowels are the duplicated ones.

The first "a" of Allaah disappears because of the last "a" of the verb shaa'a.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 4:24pm

Salaams and Bismillah,

This is a joke.  It's a silly reference to a very, very old tv show.  It means that I was joking with you and has no meaning of bugs involved.  I was trying to be funny and friendly.  Oops.

Fa hem tee nee -- do you understand me?

wa lay la -- or not?

Ma laysh -- nevermind.

Nin -- we

howil -- will try.

to a Guy, it would be: Fa hemnt nee *say that fast three times.  It hurts the mouth, really!

Been busy.  Thanks for the sweet reply.  Jazzak Allah Khayr.

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 7:01am

As Salamu Alaikum Sister

Jazakallahu Khairan for the explanation of the Arabic transliteration and grasshopper.

Obviously I didn�t see the joke as I don�t know the movie.

Salams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic