IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Prophets Muhammad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was Ayesha A Six-Year-Old Bride?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Ayesha A Six-Year-Old Bride?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by sumuque sumuque wrote:

Salam

Thanks semar for reply. There are few things which I want to understand. Baligh is a term which as you explain can be a point where a girl can be married, however, Aysha was married when she was six ? Does it mean She was also Baligh at that time ?

Regarding aishah's age still disputable. A hadith say she move marriage at six, but moved to prophets house after 9, even one story her age is about 16 years old.

Please read the begining of this thread:

Originally posted by sumuque sumuque wrote:

Salam

Further I was reading verses of Sura Talaq, 65:4 which says and I quote;

"65:4 And those of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the 'Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubts (about their periods), is three months, and for those who have no courses [(i.e. they are still immature) their 'Iddah (prescribed period) is three months likewise, except in case of death] . And for those who are pregnant (whether they are divorced or their husbands are dead), their 'Iddah (prescribed period) is until they deliver (their burdens), and whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him"

Now according to this verse Iddah period for girls who are still immature is also three months ! Does it not imply that girls who are not mature yet can be married according to this verse ?

I think the ayah is imply in case for whatever reason the woman doesn't have period, such as due to abnormal hormone production etc, so the 3 months is the solution. Because within 3 month if the woman pregnant the symptom already can not be missed.

Regarding immature girl (before mens) marriages, I think there was not much documented history about it.

Edited by semar - 27 January 2010 at 9:34pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
sumuque View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sumuque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Regarding aishah's age still disputable. A hadith say she move marriage at six, but moved to prophets house after 9, even one story her age is about 16 years old.

Please read the begining of this thread:

Well most of the authentic Hadiths like Bukhari put her age around 6 when she got married and moved to Muhammad's House around 9, if we accept Sahi Bukhari as an athentic collection, then there should not be a problem about it.

Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

I think the ayah is imply in case for whatever reason the woman doesn't have period, such as due to abnormal hormone production etc, so the 3 months is the solution. Because within 3 month if the woman pregnant the symptom already can not be missed.

Regarding immature girl (before mens) marriages, I think there was not much documented history about it.

I have searched the tafsir for this verse and came up with this, please have a look.

"(And for such of your women as despair of menstruation) because of old age, (if ye doubt) about their waiting period, (their period (of waiting) shall be three months) upon which another man asked: �O Messenger of Allah! What about the waiting period of those who do not have menstruation because they are too young?� (along with those who have it not) because of young age, their waiting period is three months. Another man asked: �what is the waiting period for those women who are pregnant?� (And for those with child) i.e. those who are pregnant, (their period) their waiting period (shall be till they bring forth their burden) their child. (And whosoever keepeth his duty to Allah) and whoever fears Allah regarding what he commands him, (He maketh his course easy for him) He makes his matter easy; and it is also said this means: He will help him to worship Him well." Link

As you can see that Tafsir of Ibn Abbas even narrated an incident where some one asked Prophet Muhammad directly and He replied that these young girls if got divorced, there period of Iddah would be same. So from the time of Prophet Muhammad's time, its seems clear that girls were given in marriages, even prior to attaining the age of puberty.

Now one question may arise that, though its possible that young girls may get married prior to the age of puberty, how ever its not necessary for them to have sexual relationship with their Husband, well, I think even this case would not make sense if we read the other Quranic verses in this regard, which clearly commands to Muslims that Iddah is only applicable, meaning that a girl or woman is to observe Iddah ONLY if she got married and have sexual relationship with her husband, other wise there is no Iddah. Please have a look this verse;

"O you who believe! When you marry believing women, and then divorce them before you have sexual intercourse with them, no 'Iddah [divorce prescribed period, see (V.65:4)] have you to count in respect of them. So give them a present, and set them free i.e. divorce, in a handsome manner."

now as we can see that logical out come of these verses. In 65:4 you have mentioning of Iddah period of women and girls, one must assume that Iddah is only required after a woman get married and then divorced and Iddah is only to be observed when this women or girl got married and had sexual intercourse with Husband !

So my question once again, should be assume that Islam allow's marriages of young girls before the age of puberty ?

Peace and all the best
NasrIsmt View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NasrIsmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2020 at 9:55pm
In Quran 65:4 there is no permission for child marriages. 
1. it uses the word "nisa" - women.
2. it doesn't say "you can marry children"

From the Hadith we can understand that the verse can be applied to the societies where child marriages are allowed. When Islam came child marrieges were permitted among pagan, Christian and Jew people. And muslims asked the Prophet (s.a) what if we divorce our young wives.

Christian nations even today still have child marriages. 
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/200000-children-married-us-15-years-child-marriage-child-brides-new-jersey-chris-christie-a7830266.html More than 200,000 children married in US over the last 15 years. Girls as young as 10 were among the minors who wedded under legal loopholes...

Muhammad Saad View Drop Down

Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammad Saad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 8:11pm
When the father of Aysha had no problem to marry her daughter to a 55 years old man than who are we to object?
MuslimunderLockdown View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuslimunderLockdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 3:50am
The strongest opinion on this issue is that Aysha (ra) was 18 when she married the Messenger of Allah (saw).

The strongest evidence for this is deduced from her sister's age. Asmaa (ra) was 10 years older than Aysha and all the reports unanimously agree that she died at the age of 100 after her son Abdullah Ibnu Zubayr was killed by al-Hajjaj in year 73. So 100 - 73 = 27 - So Asma was 27 when the hijra started i.e. she was 14 when Islam was revealed to the Messenger (saw). Which means Aysha (ra) was four years old. if you add 13 years of the da'awah in Makkah this means she was 17 when she married the messenger of Allah (saw) and a year later the marriage was consumated in Medina. 

This is how it has been concluded that Aysha (ra) was 18 when she married the Messenger of Allah (saw), not 9 as stated in some report by al-Bukhari
Rasheed 1 View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rasheed 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 2:20am
The father of Ayeshah (ra) had no problem means it is lawful according to shariah to marry girls even though they are of young age. 

Puberty is the condition for "Rukhsati".

In western countries nine years old girls have sex in schools with their classmates, they don't seem to have problems. Prophet married her. What axactly is the problem here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic