IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - need help dealing with polygamy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help dealing with polygamy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 6:20pm
AssalaamuAlaikum Jenni.  I admire your will to be opionionated even though I disagree with your angle of arguements.  Check out the discussion forum under basics of Islam.  UmmTahaa has posted another topic based on what you have written on polygamy. 
sakeena View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakeena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 6:51pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Lady by the way what does Allah say about Polygamy? Does he say men, go do it, all of you? No, I have no problem with what is said in Quran. What is said and what people believe and do are two different things!

Right.

rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 11:45pm

i wish the administrator would clsoe this topic. i started by asking advise from brothers in polygamous marriage. i needed the info at the request of my hubby. but now this has truned into a debate abt the merits n demerits of polygamy

i have no problem with people saying what they feel, but I humbly request that another new topic be started n then we can all comment n speak our minds on that topic.

i would rather have no replies at all, than see this debate going on, which isnt addressing the topic at all.

i hope i havent hurt anyones feelings. if i have, please forgive me

taliyya View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taliyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2006 at 5:09am

sister jenni's implications that mainly the uneducated, poor, welfare mongers get involved in polygamous situations is at best offensive. i know several men who have more than one wife and they own their own businesses. i know two lawyers who have not two, but three wives. none of them are struggling to support their children or wives. there are men who only have one wife to support and are struggling. there are men who struggle to support themselves. this is life. some ppl have and some have more. to suggest that families are poor because of polygamy is wrong.

Sorry rooqiaya. Just had to say one last thing. I'm done now Inshallah.

rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2006 at 5:13am

no problem taliyya

i wish the brothers would respond. i appeal once again to the brothers. if u not comfortable sharing your story with everyone to see, then please send me a PM or email me at least. i need to hear from the brothers.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2006 at 7:20am

Sisters, obviously you are in denial since none of you have responded to my many many points read through the thread again and if you can argue all of my points about why polygamy in the west is a bad idea then please do so and I will eat my ideas.

Taliyya you are in Gambia, so I don't give credit to your statement. If a rich man comes here to immigrate he could only Bring one wife!!!!! He would have to leave the rest behind!!!! So what happens in Gambia has nothing to do with polygamists here. Most of them are poor here, maybe not in Muslim countries.

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
taliyya View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taliyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2006 at 9:27am
I live in The Gambia. I was born and raised in Los Angeles California.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2006 at 9:52am

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Taliyya a woman needs to hear all sides. The good, the bad and the ugly. She deserves to know the bad side of polygamy and the problems it involves. men!!!

How very true this statement is!  I am always amazed how cavalier polygamy is discussed among Muslim men, jokes, smiles, chuckels but no serious discussion.  Jenni's characterization of polygamy amongst lower income and poor working class families, though it may sound painfull, generally speaking I believe is very true.  Sure, specific examples contrary are found, but generally speaking what she says I have found to be the case also.  Women should be the most proactive in this debate.  Men often times are not properly educated islamically and frankly unable to see past their desire.  Taking on the enormous responsiblity of another family in this society is a tremendous burden that few are able to cope with.  What mostly happenes is that one wife is replaced for another - broken families and children without a father present in the home.  Many of these men searching for seconds wives are not even mature enough for one wife, not to mention financially stability.  And what surprises me is that women passively comply.  As Jenni said, know the good and bad and most importantly be informed.  One cannot dismiss the legal implications, financial burden, welfare burden and a host of other problems and considerations.  Further, women need to know that you can put into your marriage contract that you will not allow polgamy.  This is a very critical and important debate as it affect the very core of our Islamic community, the family.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic