IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Answering Josh on Prophet’s marriage  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Answering Josh on Prophet’s marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 8:14pm

>>how do you paste text into the text pane of this forum?

1. left click at the point where you wish to begin copying text.

2. highlight the entire text you wish to copy by holding the left click while scrolling down

3. right click and select "copy" (on the Islamicity Quran search, you have to select "edit" in the menu at the top of the screen (assuming you're using internet explorer) and select "copy" from that menu)

4. put the cursor at the point where you wish the text to appear

5. right click and select paste

I don't believe that there is a way to prevent an individual from doing this, and even if there was, I've been on this board for years and was a moderator myself for a time, and that's just not something the moderators would do here.

Yusuf
Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:00pm

To Jazz:

You're missing the point. The two verses have different contexts. One verse is speaking about a "day" with God being equal to 1000 human years. The other verse speaks of the Spirit (ruh) ascending in a "day" ("period" would make more sense in this verse) that is equal to 50,000 human years.

Jazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Deus Deus wrote:

To Jazz:

You're missing the point. The two verses have different contexts. One verse is speaking about a "day" with God being equal to 1000 human years. The other verse speaks of the Spirit (ruh) ascending in a "day" ("period" would make more sense in this verse) that is equal to 50,000 human years.

Dear Deus,

This is not about what you might prefer Quran to say or what "would make more sense", as by saying this you are conceding that Quran makes no sense in this instance.

This is the point, one ayat speaks of a "day" being 1,000 years and the other speaks of a "day" being 50,000 years.

As I have pointed out there are clear distinctions in the translations between "period", "age", "term" and "day", and this is emphasized by showing the translation of "day" and "term' within the same sentence of an ayat.

Would you kindly elaborate on how I am "missing the point"?

Your explanation makes no sense, so too the explanation in the site you referred to.

I have clearly shown this.

What difference does it make what happens in the "day", whether it is the spirit or anything else?

Here are the verses in question again, with only the relevant text from each this time.

This is clearly a contradiction in Quran.

From Muslim Students Association database translations.

A day to Allah is equal to one thousand years of man.

Quran -  As-Sadja - 032:005

Yusuf Ali: ".......a day the space whereof will be (as) a thousand years of your reckoning."

Pickthal: ".......a day, wherof the measure is a thousand years of that ye reckon."

Shakir: ".......a day the measure of which is a thousand years of what you count."

Now the contradiction.......

A day of Allah is equal to fifty-thousand years of man

Quran - Al-Maarij - 070:004

Yusuf Ali: ".............a day, the measure whereof is (as) fifty-thousand years."

Pickthal: "........a day whereof the span is fifty-thousand years."

Shakir: "........a day the measure of which is fifty-thousand years."

Now kindly explain how one could be missing something.

Edited by Jazz
Jazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

>>how do you paste text into the text pane of this forum?

1. left click at the point where you wish to begin copying text.

2. highlight the entire text you wish to copy by holding the left click while scrolling down

3. right click and select "copy" (on the Islamicity Quran search, you have to select "edit" in the menu at the top of the screen (assuming you're using internet explorer) and select "copy" from that menu)

4. put the cursor at the point where you wish the text to appear

5. right click and select paste

I don't believe that there is a way to prevent an individual from doing this, and even if there was, I've been on this board for years and was a moderator myself for a time, and that's just not something the moderators would do here.

Thank you Yusuf.

It seems it must have been that I was using MozillaFirefox browser, as when I used Internet Explorer the paste feature became available.

Thanks again. 

Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 10:49am

To Jazz,

Would it more make sense to you if you replace the word "day" in both verses (i.e. 32:05 and 70:04) with the word "period"?

muratkose View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muratkose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 6:40am

Assalamu Alaikum everyone

This is the explanation on Muhammad Asad about time concept.

The very concept of "time" is meaningless in relation to God, who is timeless and infinite: cf. note 63 on the last sentence of 22:47 - "in thy Sustainer's sight a day is like a thousand years of your reckoning": in other words, a day, or an aeon, or a thousand years, or fifty thousand years are alike to Him, having an apparent reality only within the created world and none with the Creator. And since in the hereafter time will cease to have a meaning for man as well, it is irrelevant to ask as to "when" the evildoers will be chastised and the righteous given their due.

http://www.geocities.com/masad02/070.html

Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 9:38am

Yes, muratkose, I was going to explain that too, but Jazz seems to be looking for something more straightforward logical. But it's a valid point that I myself believe in.

Jazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by muratkose muratkose wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum everyone

This is the explanation on Muhammad Asad about time concept.

The very concept of "time" is meaningless in relation to God, who is timeless and infinite: cf. note 63 on the last sentence of 22:47 - "in thy Sustainer's sight a day is like a thousand years of your reckoning": in other words, a day, or an aeon, or a thousand years, or fifty thousand years are alike to Him, having an apparent reality only within the created world and none with the Creator. And since in the hereafter time will cease to have a meaning for man as well, it is irrelevant to ask as to "when" the evildoers will be chastised and the righteous given their due.

http://www.geocities.com/masad02/070.html

Thanks Muratkose,

The fact still remains that there is a contradiction between the two ayats.

Most of Quran deals with the reality of the created world, is this not why it is alleged to have been revealed?

The afterlife is a part of God's creation to, is it not?

Here are some ayats which discuss the "evildoers" which seem to place some urgency on having them dealt with in a time that is, according to your theory, irrelevent to God's timelessness.

Quran makes numerous mentions of God's punishment in the timeless afterlife, ie. firey hell, etc..........now why would God be apparently impatient to have punishments metered out at anytime prior to His already ordained timeless afterlife punishment period?

Here are the ayats......
[3.151] We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they set up with Allah that for which He has sent down no authority, and their abode is the fire, and evil is the abode of the unjust.

[9.14] Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace, and assist you against them and heal the hearts of a believing people.

Why would an almighty creator need mere humans to punish anyone of his created on his behalf?...........is he lacking in ability to do this himself?.......afterall He has already prepared a firey hell and eternal punishment.

So what might be the urgency to have punishments applied by mere humans in this "created" life when God already has the punishments catered for in his created/uncreated afterlife...........could it be that time IS an issue to the creator?

Edited by Jazz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic