IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What are they so afraid of?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are they so afraid of?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2006 at 9:23am

Originally posted by Cassi Cassi wrote:

I hope that the men who visit this site will recognise your [named womens'] astuteness, your intelligence, your sensitivity, your projection into a future world where we all can win.

Originally posted by In response, Colin In response, Colin wrote:

If any men reading this in any way feel threatened by these words, then perhaps they need to reappraise their take on what they think women are all about.

Lord Colin, I am quite disappointed to see that you are apparently unable to mount a more convincing defense of the burqa than this. 

Serv 

I�m not anti-American.  I am only against 50.7% of the �popular� voting lot of them.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2006 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Hanan Hanan wrote:

I believe that here is the difference between Western women and women of other cultures. I don�t believe that our accomplishments in the West are something most women in Afghanistan, for example, aspire to. Maybe they would want to continue to live and take care of their families, including their husbands, as their mothers and grandmothers did, without having their CHIOCES taken away from them. I don�t believe that most of these women would enroll in schools. If the Taliban would allow women to CHOOSE, then I think that most women would decide to be home-makers.

Even after the �sexual revolution� many Western women chose to remain home-makers. It was only when the pressure to �keep up with the Joneses,� which in turn made living more expensive, made it impossible for women to stay at home, did they �decide� to work outside of their homes. I really believe that most working women would still be stay-at-home moms, stay-at-home wives, if the economic pressures on families weren�t so strong. It�s about CHOICES. Most Western women don�t have choices either, they HAVE TO work. Could the same be applied to men? Do men have CHOICES?

I so totally agree with this, the robbing of personal choice is what I would like to see end.  The cost of living and wages should be such that one member of the family can support the unit.  Western women have been forced by mounting national debt, personal debt and societal pressure to aquire things to enter the workplace and stay there.

However, equally sad is a state where a woman could not leave the home and go to work in circumstances that prevent any other form of income.

I remember having to care for an injured husband and being the only income.  What needs to happen for women of all nations and faiths is a fundemental respect for their abilities and choices.

You are right, most women in the rural areas of Afghanistan probably don't dream of moving to Kabul and becoming a doctor or stock broker.  But, should a girl learn in school about Petra, Jordan and feel the need to become an Archeologist and see the world.  She should have the freedom to dream and follow that dream.

Likewise, I would like to see a society in the West where women are freer to choose to say home with their children.  With a mortgage payment, two cars, utilities, food and all the other extras required in western society, its nearly impossible for women to focus on their families.

Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2006 at 11:25pm
Yes indeed Angela, well said.

I often wonder what has happened to the so-called world economy
that means my childhood happy memories of mother at home with
three kids, ably supported by a father at work, are impossible for the
average family to experience.

I agree it is about choice, and having none, is not progress anywhere
in the world.

It is a complex set up, and too easy to blame on some kind of anti-
women conspiracy since it affects men's choices too. The vicious
consumer cycle we're trapped in means every able bodied adult HAS
to work, in order to repay the mortgage, pay off the debts, all the
while seduced by flat screen TV, digital this and that, advertising of
every conceivable item showing you how miserable you must be
without the particular product on display, or just flat out how useless
you are without it. Go buy, buy, buy because it's good for the
economy.

We've reached a stage in Western society where we're happily
poisoning ourselves and our children because we can't AFFORD the
time or money to present them with properly prepared food:

TFAs, The Food Industry's "Trojan Horse" on Your Table
����By Sherwood Ross
����t r u t h o u t | Perspective

����Friday 29 September 2006

����If you're thinking about a useful holiday gift for a teenager, for
$6.99 you can give the invaluable Trans Fats: The Hidden Killer in
Our Food (Pocket Books), by Judith Shaw, whose no-holds-barred
introduction begins, "This is the story of a killer ingredient tucked
into most of the food that you, your family, and most other
Americans eat ..."

����This 175-page paperback is an urgent read for teens because,
Shaw writes, "Moving into adolescence with their own disposable
dollars, children become the principal consumers of foods with
hydrogenated vegetable oils, snacking away at the cellophane
packages and fast foods that have become a thirty billion dollar
American habit."

����"Consuming foods with hydrogenated oils (chips, cookies,
crackers, muffins, donuts, candy, fast food) ... has become a national
pastime, a cultural institution," Shaw argues, noting the Food and
Drug Administration (FDA) reports that "fully half of packaged
cereals, cold or hot, contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oils."

����Indeed, USDA says TFAs are found in 40 percent of the food on
grocery store shelves today! The good news, though, is that since
last January 1st, the FDA ordered TFAs to be listed on food package
labels, so at least you've got a sporting chance to avoid them.

����What do TFAs do to you? As Jeffrey Aron, MD, of the University of
California, San Francisco, puts it in his foreward to Shaw's book, they
cause people to "develop a state of inflammation that creates a
cascade of metabolic horrors with results that can include insulin
resistance, obesity, heart disease, autoimmune disease, and
depression." Indeed, 60,800,000 Americans didn't just develop some
form of cardiovascular disease without a little help from the
processed food industry - and it's increasingly seen among children.
Cassandra View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 2:12am

Scanning through these replies, I am struck by the fact that although as of today this thread has been visited by almost 1000 people, the overwhelming majority of posts and comments here are from women! The exceptions are notable and welcomed.  But where are the rest of you men???  Should I rename the thread "What are YOU afraid of?"

Or should I ask for it to be moved to the Women's section where it doesn't have to trouble you?

Consider yourselves challenged!

Cassi

Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 2:18am

Edited by Hanan
Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Servetus Servetus wrote:

Originally posted by Cassi Cassi wrote:

I hope that the men who visit this site will recognise your [named womens'] astuteness, your intelligence, your sensitivity, your projection into a future world where we all can win.

Originally posted by In response, Colin In response, Colin wrote:

If any men reading this in any way feel threatened by these words, then perhaps they need to reappraise their take on what they think women are all about.

Lord Colin, I am quite disappointed to see that you are apparently unable to mount a more convincing defense of the burqa than this. 

Serv 

Sir Serv, I really did try my best.. but I know when I�m outnumbered!

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 9:21am

I think many people all over the world are just trying to get by in any system they are in. Me nand women.  We often have only limited control over things.

I saw an excellent piece on the news about education around the world. What children face to get even a basic education. And often in more rural, poorer areas the education is about the basics, reading, writing, math, hygeine etc. And it is also clear that if girls receive a basic education the standard of living increases for all, espcecially her children. Un fortunately war, famine, poverty and social up neavel prevents many from getting a basic education.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 9:54am

Hanan,

Its really sad.  People should not have to leave their homes to become better.  If they do leave for education or training, I really feel they have an obligation to return home and make a change.

Africa has been too long ignored in the industrial age.  Poverty, disease and death.  With a land as rich as Africa, poverty should not be an issue.  Disease is within world power to change and death is inevitable but not always necessary.

I read an article a few weeks ago about the education of women and its result on infant mortality.  Studies show the more educated women are, the lower the infant mortality. 

I've also recently read an article that shows the number of children with autism, ADHD, anxiety disorders and other behavioral and mental problems has dramatically increased with the women entering the workforce in the US.  Women are spending less time at home and starting their families later in life when they are at higher risk for certain birth defects. 

We wonder why there is a break down of moral values in this nation, but the children are being taught by their peers and by the television and Internet.  The world needs educated women, but it also needs the balance of mothers and traditional homes.

I have been "chastised" in private for my views.  But, since I do not response to said individual in Private I will post his comments and respond to them.

Originally posted by Brother X Brother X wrote:

If you don't mind me commenting on the issue privately, as I barely came across what you wrote. A couple things I wanted to comment on based on what you wrote. First, I wanted to say that isn't it possible that your idea on women staying home is the result of a religious belief (subjective) rather than something objective and isolated from your own intellect? If Yes then the next obvious criticism would be that the fact that YOU think what is right based on your religious background (or social) may not apply to every woman?

My responses will be in Blue.  First off, I spent many years as a non religious feminist.  My experiences are derived from my family life (I had the stay at home Mother and my youngest Sibling did not, there is a huge difference in our success and education) and from my travels around the world.

For instance let's examine what you wrote my responses are in Red.

You Said:

"The cost of living and wages should be such that one member of the family can support the unit.  Western women have been forced by mounting national debt, personal debt and societal pressure to acquire things to enter the workplace and stay there."

Allow me to comment on the later portion of your comment. What makes you think that just western women alone are forced in the job market? Men too are also "forced" to work. Also I think your idea of one being forced to work is quite skewed since, high prices and high cost are dependent on your geographical location rather than something that is clear across the board. Someone who works in Atlanta will not have the same housing cost as someone who lives in California. In California we pay property taxes (Approximately $2,000 per/month.... depending) as well as high taxes in other areas. Housing in the L.A area runs approximately between $500k-800k but this is not including location within the L.A area.

Some areas are cheaper some a re lot higher and because of this if you are in a middle class you cannot possibly have one person just footing all the expenses. Also keep in mind that the houses that ran in those approximates are luxury these are decent housing. Just women in California are pressured to work but men as well. You are singling out men in the later portion of your paragraph as if women are the only ones because it effects both.

In the beginning part of you paragraph you said that the cost of living should be such that one member of a family can be able to support the unit. Even if this were the case you'd still be opposed to that "person" being a woman? It's obvious based on your religious background that women should stay home and Cook and clean and do all those things. So that "person" which you didn't specify in gender is obviously that man you believe should work and support the family.

First off your argument that location is key is false.  I grew up in a small town where property values are far less than California and the cost of living is such that a man making $30K a year could support his family comfortable.  But, guess what.  There are almost no jobs that pay enough for one parent (man or woman) to support the family.  There are even less opportunities for women as many of the major employers are factories and heavy construction.  The only jobs available to women are retail, food service and clerical (which in that area pays nothing).  Therefore, moving to a cheaper area does not free up one of the parents from having to work. 

Secondly, yes, I am singling out the woman as the one who should not be "FORCED" to work.  Studies have shown that children who have a stay at home mother are healthier, happier and better adjusted.  However, I do feel its the MAN'S responsibility to care for his family.  Now, if the man is uneducated, disabled or otherwise unable to provide for his family, then I have no issue with the wife leaving the home to work.  Ideally, if the cost of living was reasonable and only one income was needed, then in those cases, the father should remain at home and take over the domestic duties.  Giving the young children the stability of their home.  If the children are of school age and are not at home during the day, then also there is no problem with the woman or man (whoever is the domestic) stepping out and getting a job to help the family if its needed. 

You seem to have this misconception that a domestic is somehow unemployed and sits around doing nothing?  Have you ever wrangled three toddlers and tried to maintain a household?  I have SIX god children and I can tell you, the times I had the three toddlers were a nightmare to get things done around the house.  I understand why their working mother and father were never able to keep on top of everything.  And as for team work, yes, working parents can make it work, but hey, you've just worked 8-10 hours.  Wouldn't it be nice to have family dinner and spend time with the kids before you went to bed.  But no, dishes need done, laundry, vacuuming, dusting, homework.  By the time everything is done, the kids are off to bed and the parents are so tired they don't even have the energy for intimacy (also from a study).

You Also said:

"However, equally sad is a state where a woman could not leave the home and go to work in circumstances that prevent any other form of income."

True, I agree

"I remember having to care for an injured husband and being the only income.  What needs to happen for women of all nations and faiths is a fundamental respect for their abilities and choices

The bold part of your statement is true, in that all women of different nationalities and religions have a choice and in that choice a respect for their abilities. However in challenging your thought in the same context women should also have the choice to work which, judging from your comment you agree. However keep in mind that society as a whole is not forcing women to work, because like I mentioned before there are different variables in what puts an individual to work. In addition, keep in mind that many women believe working establishes their independence. A woman in Wyoming may not suffer the same financial issues in work as a woman in California or a woman who lives in New York. Also keep in mind that societal pressure of the family unit is not aimed just at women but men are effected as well. not every man gets a really good paying job.

Again, a woman in Wyoming will have less opportunities for meaningful work as will her spouse, which is why the cost of living is less.  When jobs are plentiful and high paying, the cost of living increases.  Societal pressure is not as great on a man.  This is another flaw in your reasoning.  He's no longer expected to look for work that would support his family.  American society now only expects that he make enough that with his spouses income they are able to live comfortably.  However, he's not expected to pick up on the domestic chores.  There is still the image of the couch potato with his beer in hand watching football while his wife is in the kitchen doing dishes.  Only now, the woman also put in the 8 hours of hard work.

In following, you said:

"You are right, most women in the rural areas of Afghanistan probably don't dream of moving to Kabul and becoming a doctor or stock broker.  But, should a girl learn in school about Petra, Jordan and feel the need to become an Archaeologist and see the world.  She should have the freedom to dream and follow that dream."

I agree that a young girl should have the choice to dream but one must also be realistic that choosing to not have goals at the expense of societal defiance can result in putting one in poverty or in the lowest art of society. I personally believe education is very liberating and very important in the developing person. A woman who makes the choice to stay just in the home and go nowhere and only know her own environment is isolating herself from global knowledge and to some extent, knowing herself.

I believe that a society which advocates education and to allow both men and women to personally enrich themselves is good. The choice has always been there but its also a good thing that many societies condone education and giving options to people. Our societies are ever changing and we have become a society where we are past hunter-gatherer.

In conclusion, you said:

"Likewise, I would like to see a society in the West where women are freer to choose to say home with their children.  With a mortgage payment, two cars, utilities, food and all the other extras required in western society, its nearly impossible for women to focus on their families."

Let me again comment on the bold.

It obvious by you saying women should be more "freer" as in "more free" acknowledges that women already have choice already, which  contradict some of your earlier comments where you claim that society pressures women to act (or in this case work) in essence restricts them of choice. So in this case which is it? When you note in the latter in Bold about the materialistic things such as cars, utilities etc. You need to be clear in which society at least in America, which you are referring.

True, that overall from the 50's on up prices have changed, but you have to take into consideration our country's population. Its not because we are such an advanced society that everything suddenly becomes expensive but its also the taking up on space which is meant  to curb population growth as well also including supply and demand. you say its nearly impossible for women to focus on their families right? Well, according to who? Have you asked every single working woman or depend on a websites poll? If so, which poll?

There are plenty of women who do work and do take care of their children, but in taking into account your thought of what a family should be its obvious your thought is more religiously based than practical. And not saying that something religiously based isn't practical but at the same time the structure of the family around a growing society cannot be based on the structure of the family as it was 3000 years ago. We live in America. It's obvious you wouldn't see no problem with a man toiling in work and destroying his body yet have a fit if a woman does. Women do have choices as you admit clearly in bold, but wish that women have "more freedom" to stay at home.

My information comes from studies, observations and having worked with troubled children.  My statement of freer is a statement that there are some women who have that luxury.  They lucked out and have educated husband with 6-7 figure salaries or found other ways to get around it.  I do know one stay at home Mom that's miserable. In order for her to be with her kids, they do not have a second car, no telephone or cable and they only buy thrift clothing.  She had to chose between being comfortable or being with her kids.  She sacrifices her comforts so that her children can have their mother before they go to kindergarten. 

Its not about religion.  You keep making this about religion.  Its about mental well being.  You, I and Angel clashed over the whole single mom issue.  I'm not turning this into that argument.  Single parents leave the equation because there is no choice in those situations.  However, there are plenty of studies on child development that show all sorts of data.  Children are better off with one loving parent than a married couple with an abusive parent.  Children are better off with two loving parents than one stressed out loving parent.  Children are better off in rural areas with less crime and drugs.  Children are better educated in Urban areas where they have access to public museums and libraries. 

In the end, you cannot argue that over the last 50 years that morality has decreased, crime has increased, debt (personal and governmental) has skyrocketed and families have all but become a thing of the past.  Divorce rates are over 50%, Unmarried births are at an all time high and poverty is spreading.

God set up things to work a certain way for a reason.  As a religious person, I do believe his way is best.  But as a rational person, the proof is in the product.  Come to Utah and stay with me for a week.  I will show you the difference in a Mormon Child with two loving parents that honor their responsibilities and their callings as parents.  I will also show you a 17 year old boy who's mother died when he was 6 and the broken family because her husband had left her with no choice but to try to support the family with his refusal to find a decent job.  Now she's gone, guess what, the family is worse off.

Mothers are the most important person in a child's life, they provide emotional and mental stimulation during key periods of development.  Fathers have a responsibility to their children to give them security, protection and provide for them.  You're refusal to see this makes me only pity your children and your wife.

Edited by Angela
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic