IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - keeping a marriage secret  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

keeping a marriage secret

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: keeping a marriage secret
    Posted: 24 April 2005 at 4:27pm
i have a friend that is christian. anyway, she recently married a muslim man (he just converted to islam a few months before they married). they got married at his mosque. she has not told any of her family members and he has not told any of his family either. only friends were at the marriage. i think it's wrong for them to keep something like this from their families. its disrespectful in my opinion. they say they are just waiting for the right time to tell their families, but i wonder if there isn't something in islam that says they cannot keep their marriage a secret from their families cuz i'd like to persude them to be open about it-- i hate keeping secrets-- it's too much trouble. can anyone help?    
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2005 at 8:42pm
 Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

There is nothing wrong in keeping secrets in Islam. If they think the right time to disclose their marriage has not arrived yet, let them decide for themselves. It could be, you push them and something untoward happens as a result.

If the marriage ceremony was observed according to Islamic rites, then that is it. Their marriage is acceptable in the society, and they are husband and wife. Those who know this shld honor the fact and keep their secret.

It is said that, a muslim shld guard the secret of another muslim like his own property.

Maa salaama.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 10:26pm
asalamu alaikum shurkan ukty for your reply. i still think it's too strange to keep something this big a secret, but unless there is something unislamic about it, i guess there is nothing to do but keep my mouth shut. here's a another question-- what about lying to protect someones secret?
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2005 at 7:54pm

Originally posted by hope hope wrote:

asalamu alaikum shurkan ukty for your reply. i still think it's too strange to keep something this big a secret, but unless there is something unislamic about it, i guess there is nothing to do but keep my mouth shut. here's a another question-- what about lying to protect someones secret?

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Sister, my pleasure in being of some help.

There are certain lies which are allowed in Islam. the default is that there is no eminent harm, rather you are doing it for a good or genuine purpose.

I remember, the hadith says, if the lie is to patch up a fight, or if it is between a husband and a wife  (I hope ppl take this with absolute wisdom - cheating the spouse is not allowed), then it is permissible.

As`for secrets, if u are covering someones fault, that is not harmful to others, but may malign a person's reputaiton, then it is better that you hide it.

If you are covering your own fault with a lie, just so that you save others from the harm of it ... like some sins if we publicise we tend to create desensatization of masses towards it, its far superior to hide them, than be truthful about.

If however, a secret if hidden will cause greater harm than when it is publicised, then it shld be shared, to caution the society against its evil effects.

Allah knows best.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

[/COLOR]
hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:50am
wa salaam.... ok i understand  what you mean. i have heard that if you hide the fault of others, and Allah (swt) will hide yours. you have helped by explained well. insha'Allah i can have as much knowledge as you about islam. alfishukr ukty :) 
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 3:31pm

Walaikum assalam sister,

Originally posted by hope hope wrote:

wa salaam.... ok i understand  what you mean. i have heard that if you hide the fault of others, and Allah (swt) will hide yours. you have helped by explained well. insha'Allah i can have as much knowledge as you about islam. alfishukr ukty :) 

Insha allah sister. May you learn more than what you find anyone possessing here. Knowledge of the deen is a blessing, and when we desire to learn, the angels in heaven send blessings on us. Alhamdulillah.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

[/COLOR]
umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 4:35am

Assalamu Alaikum:

Muslims are not supposed to keep marriages secret period.  That's the whole point of two witnesses... the whole point of the walimah.  If people on the street see this man and woman together...and assume that they are not married, then they will assume that there is something haram about their relationship.  It will make both look bad... and it will also make the Muslim community look bad for they will think that the guy is a hypocrite.

Fromhttp://www.nikahsearch.com/marriage/contract.htm

"Ibn Taimia mentioned four existing opinions on this issue:
(1) The marriage must be announced and made public, regardless of whether the contract was actually witnessed or not.  This was the opinion of Malik as well as the scholars of hadith, the Dhaahiris and one opinion reported from Ahamd.

(2) It is obligatory to have witnesses, regardless of whether the marriage contract is made public or not.  This was the view of Abu Hanifah, Ash-Shafi'iy and another opinion reported from Ahmad.

(3) Both witnesses and a public announcement are necessary.  This is a third narration from Ahmad.

(4) Either one of the two is necessary.  This is a fourth narration from Ahmad.

Ibn Taimia himself felt that the second opinion (only witnesses required) is weak.   He claimed that there was no authentic source for same and that it was not widely known among the Muslims.  Instead, what is required is the public pronouncement letting the people know that the parties got married.  He says that if a marriage takes place without witnesses or public announcement it is definitely invalid, if it takes place with witnesses but no announcement it is questionable and if it takes place with both it is definitely valid.

The portion of Ibn Taimia's opinion which finds the witnesses NOT a requirement must be rejected, because the hadith on this subject has been found to be sahih:

"Laa nikaaha illa bi waliyin wa shaahidaiy 'adlin"
"No marriage except with a guardian and two non-discredited witnesses."

So the bottom line here is that BOTH the witnesses AND the public announcement are required.  In fact, regarding public announcement, the Maliki school says that if the other parties ask the witnesses to keep it silent that the marriage is not valid and the two are to be separated - PERMANENTLY!  The Hanbali school holds that such a marriage is not invalid although it is disliked to do so.  The witnesses must be two adult and sane Muslim men whose testimony has not been previously discredited."

Peace.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic