IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attention!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttention!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 6:04am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Quote By mainly posting material copied from other sites (And not following normal "netiquette" by quoting the source), and more seriously, flooding the whole forum with such material without the obvious intention of engaging in proper debate, he was effectively spamming the boards. I believe this is strictly against most discussion board's guidelines of what constitutes acceptable behaviour.

A pattern of behaviour had to first be established, meaning this takes time. I actually considered the issue of spamming and counted his posts in certain sections, personaly i do not believe they fell into this category but no means was he flooding the board.

i asked him to tone down his reply and he did so to some extent although not enough to stop bothering people i guess.

i think we should move on as br Mockba sugested.

Nadir
Quote Does this mean we are not allowed to challenge scholars or medical doctors, because we deem their knowledge superior to ours? I only ask, as I personally do not blindly follow anyone, whether it is a scholar, or a doctor.

the idea of chalenging an opinion would mean that something has to be posted first for you to chalenge it.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
nadir View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:00am

Assalaamu Alaikum

Sister Nausheen,

I feel for you, and sympathise with the somewhat impossible task (of keeping all happy).

Nausheen stated: �We are not qualified scholars or medical doctors here. If there are explicit questions pertaining these matters, your sincerity in seeking the answer will be better served if you take them to an appropriate website.�

Does this mean we are not allowed to challenge scholars or medical doctors, because we deem their knowledge superior to ours? I only ask, as I personally do not blindly follow anyone, whether it is a scholar, or a doctor.

I personally have witnessed doctors diagnosing people with terminal diseases/cancers, and some even go to the length of naming a possible time of death (ie you have 3 months to live). The relevance of this point is that, very rarely are these �time to live� estimates correct, and there are even cases where patients recover completely, hence for dr�s to state such derogative comments (which often have very negative effects), I deem to be wrong.

Sister Nausheen, I know you have stated that you are not going to make any further posts within this thread, however I was wondering if we could please discuss the subject matter of � how a person believes (sometimes blindly), somebody else in matters where they have no knowledge themselves. (ie if I knew nothing about computers, & asked you [�as an expert�], I would believe what you told me, as I would have no reason/knowledge to doubt you).       

MOKBA, you stated: It seems there hasn't been an interesting and challenging topic lately��.. please be my guest, and start a topic (you deem interesting) for us.

Waslaam

Nadir

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 1:39am

There seems to be quite an unfolding on moderating here. Well, moderating here is not a censorship board, neither does the message go through scanning prior to being made visible on the board. What's a fuss?

It seems there hasn't been an interesting and challenging topic lately which is why some got into personal accusations and heated finger pointing. Moderating here, is not expression of authority, supreme intelligence or extraordinary piety  - it is a mere keeping place clean from obscenities, vulgarities, spam, name-calling etc. Different people have different definition and understanding of these, however the effort is being made to keep discussions within Islamic principles as much as possible... though not always possible. 

I do not think that Moderators need to explain themselves when and why they take action. Prior to deleting, or imposing a ban, there are various indications and warnings, both direct and indirect that take place.   

Unfortunately, I am not familiar of the discussion being discussed, therefore can't comment on that specific issue. But from knowing moderators, tend to believe that the ban was not unjustified. 

Let's move on...

MOCKBA
Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 12:46am

Rami wrote:

I personaly do not read every post, i posted some time ago that if you have aproblem with a certain post please report it i only recieved a number of reports on Rehamts posts. The moderators did not delete his posts generaly becouse we could not find a forum guidline he was breaking, i am not aware of his posts being anti jewish but anti establishment. Simply becouse a person did not like what he posted was not enough reason to delete the post.

By mainly posting material copied from other sites (And not following normal "netiquette" by quoting the source), and more seriously, flooding the whole forum with such material without the obvious intention of engaging in proper debate, he was effectively spamming the boards. I believe this is strictly against most discussion board's guidelines of what constitutes acceptable behaviour. His rudeness and lack of respect may not have been strictly against the rules, but I think it was pretty obvious to many here that Rehmat's behaviour had the potential to ruin what has in my years at Islamicity, been first rate discussion forum.

And:

Quote regarding what you said about the discussion that took place i am not aware of what specific indaviduals said only the topics discussed and some vulgor points raised.

In reply to Blond, I didn't actually discuss the topic of Blond's post. I only questioned the strangeness of blond making such a post in the first place. I don't think that in itself was justification enough for me to be suspended without appeal. But hey, it's your forum and I accept that you can take any actions you deem appropriate.

Peace Colin

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 12:18am

Hi Colin,

Quote Perhaps, with hindsight I should have ignored his/her strange allegations. But recently there has been far too much of this type of particularly racist and anti-semitic bilge allowed to go virtually unchecked by the IC mods. In view of the lack of action by the moderators, I felt duty bound to highlight this regularly outspoken member and make him/her look stupid. (I mean more stupid that he/she made himself/herself look by posting such drivel in the first place).

I personaly do not read every post, i posted some time ago that if you have aproblem with a certain post please report it i only recieved a number of reports on Rehamts posts. The moderators did not delete his posts generaly becouse we could not find a forum guidline he was breaking, i am not aware of his posts being anti jewish but anti establishment. Simply becouse a person did not like what he posted was not enough reason to delete the post.

regarding what you said about the discussion that took place i am not aware of what specific indaviduals said only the topics discussed and some vulgor points raised.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 12:03am

Rami Wrote:

Quote If i knew what colin blond and fez actually said at the time i would have told the sister to ban them for much longer, it was un-islamic, un-christian and un what ever religion you follow it was completely pathetic and the only explanation i can come up with for what they said was that they had one to many to drink and there judgment was bieng influenced.(not meaning blond)

Rami: I said nothing wrong, There were no swear words in my reponses. I was simply and calmly chiding "Blond" for making such outrageous and racist claims. Please read what I actually wrote before pointing fingers and questioning my sobriety.. 

In the thread about apes, "Blond" asserted that [moderator edited]

------------------------------------

I simply said that "it was an unusual topic of conversation to have with anyone, but each to their own"

Blond replied something like; "Aren't you the holy one"

I replied "I never really discuss such matters. I don't know if that makes me holy, but it probably makes me normal."

--------------------------------

Perhaps, with hindsight I should have ignored his/her strange allegations. But recently there has been far too much of this type of particularly racist and anti-semitic bilge allowed to go virtually unchecked by the IC mods. In view of the lack of action by the moderators, I felt duty bound to highlight this regularly outspoken member and make him/her look stupid. (I mean more stupid that he/she made himself/herself look by posting such drivel in the first place).

Perhaps If the moderators had acted quicker in removing that rude, propagandist agitator "Rehmat", people like "Blond" would have felt less encouraged to make this type of scurrilous claim in the first place.

As a member of this board for nearly 4 years, I was most surprised to see this " Rhemat" guy being allowed a virtually free rein to spread his brand of vile propaganda for so long...He managed to annoy both Muslim and Non-Muslim members in equal proportion.

Peace,  Colin

i understand you are simply trying to explain but i can not allow that to remain.rami.

Edited by rami
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 10:51pm

assalamu alaikum

I have not been reading this thread due to lack of time, so please understand what i am about to say in that context.

Firstly i aproached the sister about amending the rules to this forum.

To much explicit material was being posted, as my original post says so any amendmants to the guidlines are in that context mainly.

If i knew what colin blond and fez actually said at the time i would have told the sister to ban them for much longer, it was un-islamic, un-christian and un what ever religion you follow it was completely pathetic and the only explanation i can come up with for what they said was that they had one to many to drink and there judgment was bieng influenced.(not meaning blond)

read the forum guidlines again,

1. We manage here an Islamic discussion board, thus all members are requested to maitain the deorum as per the standards of an Islamic cultural society. Any joke, or casual statement which the moderators find insensitive, may result in edition or deletion.

it still means exactly the same thing as the last, this is an islamic forum and islamic standards are upheld. but the word un-islamic seems to mean to many different things to people.

Bottom line any un-islamic (insensative behaviour by muslim general standards, which is pretty much the same as christian standards) will not be tolerated.

Edited by rami
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 1:08pm

Look Suleyman.. I cant understand you 1/2 the time... I make the effort but i'm at a loss... so this time I'm just going to Nod and Smile..  

Me too,let's do it together;+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic