IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muhammad and Joseph Smith  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMuhammad and Joseph Smith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2006 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by StephenC StephenC wrote:

"A complex question was in reference to a question you gave that had at its bases an assumption that was neither proven or argued."

What assumption was that?

You stated:

"Both acknowledged the existences of Christ.  Both were men of violence.  Both were men of many wifes...etc.

What are the differences?"

You question is a complex question as it assumes that the above assertions buried in your question are valid and do indeed prove a similarity.

"Without any significant differences, then I must question whether both or either books/religions are of God or of man"

"If you could not find any significant differences, then I might suggest more than a cursory read. I have read the book of Mormon, and there are significant differences.

If this is your opinion and you feel what you think is true, then you are free to think this."

I was hoping you would mention even ONE significant difference between the two prophets and their religions/books.  When I request ONE significant difference, I mean something more significant then their height, nationality, etc.

I would appreciate your knowledge in this matter instead of vague replies,

I was hoping you would have corrected your sophist attempt at trying to make the two men equivalent. I have shown that your question is complex. I am not being vague, as I, with no uncertainty, have pointed out the problems in your conclusion. For example, I have stated that two men believing in the past existance of Jesus does not mean the two men are the same in faith, character, food preferences, women preferences, or anything else that is of significant.

A comparison relies upon the ability to show significant attributes. Your comparisons are too general. So general that I believe you have some assumed belief that you have been extremely cryptic in concealing. As I have said, I smell an evangelical.

You deflected from this point (the a belief in Jesus by two men does not tell us of any significant similarities) by wanting something from me to satisfy your erroneous position.

You made the claim that they were the same. Now it is up to you to show it. Not with softball "but they both believed Jesus existed"....etc.

If you make deragotory remarks about Joseph Smith, I will delete your reply, please respect the beliefs of all when conveying your thoughts. 

Thanks 

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
StephenC View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 3:51am

I have repeatedly pointed similiarities of the two men and their revelations.  I have asked for any significant differences.  You mention potentionally insignificant differences such as food preferences.

The fact that they both acknowledge Christ in a reduced role is only ONE similiarity.

Your threat of deleting my post if I say anything derogatory (which I haven't) and your refusal to give a significant difference indicates to me you can not give a difference!

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 6:34am

I have repeatedly pointed similiarities of the two men and their revelations.  I have asked for any significant differences.  You mention potentionally insignificant differences such as food preferences.

Food was used as an example of your erroneous view, demsonstrating that only primary (significant) attributes are used to when making a comparison.

You made the claim, now show your proof.

The fact that they both acknowledge Christ in a reduced role is only ONE similiarity.

Supposition.

What was the role of Christ?

Your threat of deleting my post if I say anything derogatory (which I haven't) and your refusal to give a significant difference indicates to me you can not give a difference!

My threat of deletion is to anything that is insulting, regardless if it is about the Prophet (saw), as we have members of different background, and we giver them all respect. If you are unable to back up your claim without being insulting, then I would say you are making claims you have no way of backing up.

Your refusal to acknowledge my point about

1) the erroneous method you are attempting to use and

2) the supposition you have buried in your replies

tells me you have an agenda.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 8:54am

Actually, the Mormon Church increases the Role of Jesus Christ.  Jesus is still the Son of God, Jehovah, the God of the Old Testament acting on behalf of his Father, Elohim. 

He is still the product of a Virgin Birth to Mary by the Power of the Holy Spirit.  He is still the Savior, who took upon him the Sins of the world in the Garden and suffered and bleed from every pore.  He was raised up on the Cross, died and was Resurrected.

The major difference between Muslims and Mormons is first we do believe in the divinity of Christ.  He is truly the Son of God and the Savior.  We believe he was crucified and resurrected and ascended to Heaven.  Like the Muslims we do not believe in the One God in Three Forms.  We believe in the Godhead, Elohim the Supreme Ruler and Creator, Jehovah the Intercessor and Savior and the Holy Spirit, the Comforter and Testifier.

Another difference is the manner in which the Two books were revealed.  Muhammed's book came from direct revelation from Gabriel to Muhammed.  The miracle is in the illiteracy of the Prophet of Islam and the perfectness of the Arabic of the Quran.  His revelations were intended to bring a pagan people back to God Almighty and away from their idols and false Gods.

Joseph Smith was the Prophet of the Restoration of the True Church.  His was not to bring NEW revelation but to return lost revelations.  The Book of Mormon was not written by his hand, it was translated.  The Book had many authors from Nephi to Moroni.  The Book was buried in the Hill Cumorah and preserved until the Prophet stepped forth to translate it with the Power of God.  Thus the words of the Book of Mormon are not Joseph's words they are those of the men who compiled them.  The closest things we have to the Quran in the LDS Church are the Doctrine and Covenants (direct revelations to the Prophets) and the Book of Moses which was given to Joseph through Direct Revelation.

So we have the nature of Jesus, the Godhead and the nature of the Revealed book that Separate us.  The Purpose of Life is also different.  We are here to be perfected like our Heavenly Father, to be tried and tested and return to him.  One of the points that many detractors point out is our believe that Man is as God was, and as God is Man may become....this is blasphemous to the Muslim.  For them, God is eternal, no beginning or end, neither created or begotten.  God is formless and all powerful.  Man was created to worship God and we are here to be tested for our obedience.  Those who obey will go to heaven, those that don't will suffer eternal hellfire.

Mormon's believe there is salvation for the dead and that there is a place for everyone in Heaven, even non Mormons.  Muslims believe only Muslims will be in Heaven and all else will perish in the fire.

Another major difference is the Priesthood.  Mormons give the priesthood to all worthy males.  Starting at the age of 12 and going throughout their life.  They are first given the lesser priesthood of the Aaronic Priesthood and then later given the Melchizedek Priesthood.  Men called to higher offices are given the High Priesthood.  This allows the men to baptize, pass sacrement, give blessings to the sick and afflicted and act on behalf of others. 

Muslims have no priesthood.  Theirs is a personal relationship with God.  The Imam is simply a man who leads prayers, in the US and areas where the communities are small he becomes a community leader as well.  The Scholars are not Priests.  They are men who have studies the Quran and Sunnah to such a degree that they are recognized on Authorities when it comes to Shariah and such.  Therefore they are able to issue Fatwas or religious clarifications.  These are not binding as they would be if he was some sort of Priest.

The Mormons have a definite hierarchy and organization.  The Muslims do not. 

Similarities....

Both believe in Prophets After Christ...(Mormons do not believe an end to the Prophets)

Both Fast regularly as part of their worship.

Both give obligatory charity of their wealth even to the poorest

Both stress the values of chasity, marriage and family.

Both stress Modesty of clothing and keep well groomed.

Both require daily prayer and scripture study

Both bear their Testimonies (Shahada) of their faith and are expected to share their faith with others.

Both are forbidden to drink, eat in excess and keep their bodies clean.

Both believe that you are responsible for your actions and will have to answer for them on Judgement Day.

Both believe in Judgment Day.

Both believe in a sacred journey needed at least once in their lifetime. (Hajj for Muslims, Endowment for Mormons)

Both are persecuted, missunderstood and reviled in totally unchristian attitudes of so called Christians.

Edited by Angela
StephenC View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 6:49pm

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate the work that went into your post.

I guess the biggest difference is:

"Mormons do not believe an end to the Prophets" where Islam says  Muhammad is the last prophet and Revelation 22:18-19 has Jesus saying not to add or take away from the scriptures!

StephenC View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 7:17pm

What did Muhammad prophetize that has come true?

What has Joseph Smith prophetize that has come true?

StephenC View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 7:21pm

'Uthman's compilation of the text of the Quran as revealed to the Prophet. Realizing that the original message from God might be inadvertently distorted by textual variants, he appointed a committee to collect the canonical verses and destroy the variant recensions. The result was the text that is accepted to this day throughout the Muslim world.�  IslamiCity.com History of Islam �The Rightly Guided Caliphs

Since Uthman was the 3rd Caliph after the death of

Muhammad, it appears the final committee version of the Qur�an occurred without the benefit of Muhammad�s consultation as to accuracy.

This is off topic. Please stay on topic. If youw ant to discuss the Quran, then please contribute under a topic about the Quran.

Edited by Andalus
StephenC View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 7:22pm

Material off the topic of thread. Please refrain from this.

Edited by Andalus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic