IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nasty Guy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nasty Guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NastyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nasty Guy
    Posted: 15 September 2006 at 8:18am

Hi

I should say, don't be afraid of my nick. I just like it, that's why I use it, but I hope I am not nearly as nasty as my nick says I am.

But then again, if you think I am nasty, you would have been warned by my nick, so you can't reproach me anything.

I currently live in London.

I am fascinated with the hadiths, the biographical elements of the life of Mohammed (pbuh), and I've read lots of stuff about the Companions, including the most interesting accounts of the life of Ali, his wife Fatima, Abu Bakr, Uttman, amongst other literature on the web.

I haven't been able, however, to sustain reading the Koran long enough to finish it from the beginning to the end. I'll do it, one day, however.

I must say that I also visit sites from the other side, you know, the people who expend themselves in vilifying islam. Let me assure you that their arguments are not convincing. What's more, instead of countering my arguments, they tend to get pissed off with rational explanations.

I was more or less raised as a Christian, but amongst a majority of unbelievers in my environment.

I haven't converted to Islam, in spite of my fascination with Islamic literature. I can, however, very much agree with the tenet that there is no God but God. I believe it's true, purely on rational grounds.

The second part, that says that Mohamed is his Last Messenger, I would like to leave blank for the time being. I am investigating this, however, by reading the references. Up till now, I haven't encountered anything in Islam that I would object to.

I have completely read the Torah (Pentateuch), that is, the five books of Moses, since they are really short to read, and about fifty percent of the Bible too. The Bible too, is very large, and written in a non-trivial style, and therefore not easy to read from beginning till end.

The number one benefit of the muslim way, in my eyes, is the fact that moslim women seem to be way more chaste than Christian women or unbelievers. They tend to refrain from engaging in premarital sex (zina); and the low divorce rate of muslim marriages is certainly highly praiseworthy.

To tell you the truth, if I ever convert, it would be in an attempt to seek a muslim wife and reduce the risk of a horrible family life with an unbeliever or with a Christian wife. Another advantage would be the fact that muslims seem to be more successful at keeping the children within the creed, while children born to Christian parents become almost systematically atheists, and that would be horrible in my book.

Sounds very practical, maybe? Well, if I want to serve God, that is because I believe that He will shower me with blessings, advantages, and benefits for doing so, in this life, and in paradise. If I did not believe this, I would not bother serving God, because then doing so would simply be stupid.

The reason not to convert, would be, the fact that muslims are increasingly singled out, vilified, and even unjustly persecuted in the West (where I live now). It would require quite a bit of courage to join such a group.

Another reason is the fact that I was raised by a Christian primary school, secondary school, and university, reading uncountable hours of Latin and classical Roman culture, including the history of the Roman Empire, with which I feel very familiar. They are more or less my cultural roots. Islamic literature is vested in Arab roots and feels often unfamiliar.

I am not going to make a decision this year, however. I am taking all my time, if you see what I mean and keep reading up.

Edited by NastyGuy
lovetabuleh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetabuleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2006 at 10:55am

Welcome to islamicity then, i hope you'll find it helpful in your decision.  athough i should warn you, don't follow muslim examples to help you decide whether you will accept islam or not, follow solely the pure Islamic doctrine.  muslims have faults just as much as anyone else in the world. 

also, lemme remind you that security is very tight in this forum, follow the guidelines of good manners, avoid swear words, avoid applying what you nicknamed yourself, and you'll not get bumped out of islamicity.

PEACE

:)

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2006 at 10:58am
are you like Nasty Nate?
Dana View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2006 at 1:46pm

In response to Mr Nasty Guy after reading whaat you have put l completely understand what you are saying.I use the name Dana in honour of the little girl who was on flight 77 which hit the pentegon. Her name was Dana Falkenburg aged 3years old.She died along side her sister aged 8 and father.L havea daughter that age and it really touched my heart although l feel for all the victims.

I converted to Islam aged 14 l am now 25 and this was my own decision no one elses.

i faced alot of criticism from my parents for many years but they have come to accept it now and we get on just fine.

istudied the religion for along time and l accepted in my heart before l took my shahada.

Yeah you get comments from people but every negative comment just makes you stronger.

You are a man and therefore you wouldn't stand out unless you chose to.

I stand out because l am white,wear Asian clothes and live in the same community that Shazad Tanveer (7/7 bomber allegedly!) came from but any comments l get is like water off a ducks back.

The thing l found most hard was getting my head around Mohammed (pbuh) being the last profit as jesus had been so indoctrated in me through school but l studied and studied and eventually l came around to it and love the prophet (pbuh) very much.

you will always keep your western identity but you can still be a muslim.

Keep studying an you will see what a beautiful religion Islam is although it will take time.

If you require my advice of info just leave me a message here.

regards

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 12:20am
Originally posted by NastyGuy NastyGuy wrote:

Hi

I should say, don't be afraid of my nick. I just like it, that's why I use it, but I hope I am not nearly as nasty as my nick says I am.

But then again, if you think I am nasty, you would have been warned by my nick, so you can't reproach me anything.

I currently live in London.

I am fascinated with the hadiths, the biographical elements of the life of Mohammed (pbuh), and I've read lots of stuff about the Companions, including the most interesting accounts of the life of Ali, his wife Fatima, Abu Bakr, Uttman, amongst other literature on the web.

I haven't been able, however, to sustain reading the Koran long enough to finish it from the beginning to the end. I'll do it, one day, however.

I must say that I also visit sites from the other side, you know, the people who expend themselves in vilifying islam. Let me assure you that their arguments are not convincing. What's more, instead of countering my arguments, they tend to get pissed off with rational explanations.

I was more or less raised as a Christian, but amongst a majority of unbelievers in my environment.

I haven't converted to Islam, in spite of my fascination with Islamic literature. I can, however, very much agree with the tenet that there is no God but God. I believe it's true, purely on rational grounds.

The second part, that says that Mohamed is his Last Messenger, I would like to leave blank for the time being. I am investigating this, however, by reading the references. Up till now, I haven't encountered anything in Islam that I would object to.

I have completely read the Torah (Pentateuch), that is, the five books of Moses, since they are really short to read, and about fifty percent of the Bible too. The Bible too, is very large, and written in a non-trivial style, and therefore not easy to read from beginning till end.

The number one benefit of the muslim way, in my eyes, is the fact that moslim women seem to be way more chaste than Christian women or unbelievers. They tend to refrain from engaging in premarital sex (zina); and the low divorce rate of muslim marriages is certainly highly praiseworthy.

To tell you the truth, if I ever convert, it would be in an attempt to seek a muslim wife and reduce the risk of a horrible family life with an unbeliever or with a Christian wife. Another advantage would be the fact that muslims seem to be more successful at keeping the children within the creed, while children born to Christian parents become almost systematically atheists, and that would be horrible in my book.

Sounds very practical, maybe? Well, if I want to serve God, that is because I believe that He will shower me with blessings, advantages, and benefits for doing so, in this life, and in paradise. If I did not believe this, I would not bother serving God, because then doing so would simply be stupid.

The reason not to convert, would be, the fact that muslims are increasingly singled out, vilified, and even unjustly persecuted in the West (where I live now). It would require quite a bit of courage to join such a group.

Another reason is the fact that I was raised by a Christian primary school, secondary school, and university, reading uncountable hours of Latin and classical Roman culture, including the history of the Roman Empire, with which I feel very familiar. They are more or less my cultural roots. Islamic literature is vested in Arab roots and feels often unfamiliar.

I am not going to make a decision this year, however. I am taking all my time, if you see what I mean and keep reading up.

Hi NastyGuy,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you would enjoy your stay here, and wish that Allah makes it easy for you to reach your destination and you succeed in your search for truth.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Daniel Dworsky View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Dworsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 12:50pm
Good luck
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 5:42pm
Welcome
emsereen View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emsereen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2006 at 4:05pm
Asalam Alaikum brother,

I myself grew up christian. Though my parents let me find my own way. I
attended many church of different schools and always found something
missing. I married a muslim young and always held conversation with his
friends about islam vs. christianity. I disagreed with them until one day I
found myself just listening and then I read the Quran. I always felt it not
right that Jesus was called the son of god. we are all from god. And when
I found that Islam believed that he was a prophet this was better to me. I
found myself starting to pray and then took shahada. I've been a muslim
for 12 years and a mahajaba for 10 years. Alhumdullah, it is simple when
its right.

peace