IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why I won’t live among Hindus  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy I won�t live among Hindus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why I won�t live among Hindus
    Posted: 15 September 2006 at 7:31am
Why I won't live among Hindus
April 11, 2006
Syed Firdaus Ashraf

As a rule I would not stay in a Hindu locality.

It is not that I dislike Hindus or anything like that -- some of my closest friends are Hindus -- but the Mumbai riots of 1993 made me realise for the first time that we Muslims in India are different from Hindus.

I have seen Hindu mobs looking for Muslims in the Hindu locality where I then lived, to kill them and burn down their homes. The mobs managed to lay their hands on some of my friends, but some lucky families, like mine, escaped.

That incident affected my psyche so much that I then decided I would never live in a Hindu locality again.

After the Mumbai riots, we shifted to a Muslim locality in 1994.

Last month I met a Sikh friend in New Delhi and asked him how he felt living among Hindus post the 1984 riots.

Nothing," he said curtly and added that the anti-Sikh riots that followed Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's assassination happened more than 21 years ago and everybody had forgotten it. "These things don't matter to Indians now," he said.

I was impressed by his statement. I got the feeling India has changed and moved on.

When my Sikh friend feels that way then I as a Muslim should also feel the same way in Mumbai, I told myself. After all, 13 years was a long time in Mumbai's history, Mumbaikars also must have changed and moved on, I felt.
So when I started looking for a new house I thought, should I look for a house in a Hindu area again?

My wife, who is also Muslim, was a little sceptical because she too had similar experiences in the Mumbai riots and been through identical hell.

So I said okay, let's move to an upscale Muslim locality with better facilities.

I didn't know then what I was heading for.

It seems I am house-hunting at a very wrong time. Real estate prices have skyrocketed and there are very few flats available in the market.

Even if they are, no one wants 100 percent cheque payment. Those who were okay with full cheque payment either did not own good homes or if they did, they were way too expensive.

Faced with this Catch-22 situation, I felt maybe I should move to a Hindu locality.

I duly visited a property exhibition in Mumbai and found some great homes.

Sadly, the prices were so high they were beyond the reach of a middle class person like me. The only way I could afford them was to scale down my expectations of a 2-bedroom apartment, since my budget was around Rs 25 lakh (Rs 2 million).

I zeroed in on a one-bedroom apartment in the Kandivli area in Mumbai's western suburbs. The exhibitors were happy at getting a customer. They explained the ins and outs of the housing complex and said I could come visit the site anytime.

All the bonhomie dried up when I handed over my visiting card to one of them, the shock all too visible on his face.

"Sorry sir, we cannot sell the house to you as Muslims are not wanted in this locality," he told me in so many words.

I couldn't believe what I had just heard.

When I asked him to give it in writing, the person in charge said he would not, and added that anyway this is the understood norm in the locality, so what was the fuss all about?

I wonder why people blame Muslims for not being part of the national mainstream. When there is no room for them in an ordinary housing complex, how can you expect them to join the mainstream? When they want to stay in a mainstream locality they are kept away.

My experience led me to find out more about other housing societies in Mumbai. I discovered discrimination existed against not just Muslims but towards other communities as well.

For example, a Maharashtrian will not find it easy to find a house in a Gujarati locality.

One of my Maharashtrian friends said although her aunt lives in a housing society comprising non-vegatarians she is not allowed to cook fish because the neighbours cannot stand its smell.

I find such discrimination shocking.

Why do we call ourselves Indians and want to take pride in our multi-cultural, multi-religious land when we cannot stand our neighbours who belong to different religions and cultures?

My Sikh friend in New Delhi may be right about the situation there but I think it will take a little longer to change mindsets in Mumbai.

http://in.rediff.com/news/2006/apr/11sfa.htm
Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2006 at 9:20am
Quote "Sorry sir, we cannot sell the house to you as Muslims are not wanted in this locality," he told me in so many words.

This is weird....
"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
ZEA J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2006 at 9:12pm

Originally posted by Dayem Dayem wrote:

Quote "Sorry sir, we cannot sell the house to you as Muslims are not wanted in this locality," he told me in so many words.

This is weird....

why?

"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)
mohammad View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 3:12am

Why

Do you think its a common behave with the muslim in India?

Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 7:22am
No, at least not in Delhi. Mostly, hindus live peacefully with muslims, sikh and christian.
"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:10am

No, at least not in Delhi. Mostly, hindus live peacefully with muslims, sikh and christian.

Yaar, I shouldn't jump in at all. Dripping wet, just back from the pool, plus ths one has really given me the sweats.

I find it just a wee strange. Does anyone of you understand what is Khalifa or mujjawaar? Would you believe it that our most dedicated mujjawar in India is a Sikh and when I was growing up (not that I have stopped growing, but you know what I mean) it was a Hindu Rana.

All respected and loved each other. This must be a Mumbai thing, perhaps, poor Bombay reacting to being burried while Mumbai was born or something like that.

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:11am

at least not in Delhi

Has anyone seen or heard of our Shamsh Uddin Dilli' ala?

Edited by Whisper
Rational Mind View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:14am
I wish I can get away from my Muslim family. I hate them so I know how you feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic