IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Love?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Love?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Love?
    Posted: 07 September 2006 at 2:28pm

One of the things I remembered during college studying in part of aesthetic philosophy was 'love.' The Professor asked us what is it? Of course everyone in the class answered with ideas of course a couple answers were: "Love is compassion" or "Love is respect" I even heard the scientific view that "Love is the extreme emotion of desire." Whatever love is it appears that we all as individuals define it throughout our lives whether its with our loved one or with our spouses. I have personally myself experienced love as both giver and receiver however the latter was only a deception by the other individuals part. A sister in the women's section brought up the question: What is better, love or arranged marriage?

I heard a variety of answers and of course to another forum members convenience, she rearranges the question. However to answer such a question for face value which is more important? Of course as a philosopher I can answer it but as a man who has experienced both I can safely, and personally say that such a question depends on the individual. There is no straight forward answer. I as a Westerner abhore arrange marriages. I think this tradition does not teach personal choice and it is used to please others yet it is so fostered in tradition that children being arranged in marriages are in the sense forced to accept this reality.

If I were to weigh which of the two is more 'free' I'd say love. Love although in itself can mislead the individual provides a personal choice through the individual's desire whereas to be arranged to someone not by personal choice you have to adapt as well as "learn to love." Now I understand some women of various cultures don't like an outsiders point of view to this particular tradition that is why I say it here but I'm sure I haven't escaped from the wrath of others. I frankly believe that whether love or to be arranged to love is defined by people. It can be personally right or wrong and too much of one can be bad as well as too little.

Love if not sustained, can mislead us and allow us to overlook personal qualities that may be damaging in the future. However love can also allow us to fully expressed ourselves openly whereas before we would be so reluctant to do such. Love cannot be defined by an one person or any group and although it may be defined scientifically the true answers are always allusive because it changes from person to person. What say you O' Muslims?

candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 12:13am

your life is not a movie. I suggest living simple.

whenever people talk of love, why is it always that they only talk about romantic love? Love can be between siblings, children and parents, too.

candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 12:22am
Considering the content of the first post, the the topic should be "What is romantic love?"
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 4:49am
Originally posted by candid candid wrote:

whenever people talk of love, why is it always that they only talk about romantic love? Love can be between siblings, children and parents, too.

I agree with you Candid.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 7:07am

My first & last TRUE LOVE is for My Lord ALONE, my creater: Allah (SWT).

Amen.

*Islamic Girl*
righteous_4ever View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote righteous_4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 2:15pm

Asalam o Alaikum

Here is the Webster dicitonary meaning of "love"

1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates> b : an assurance of love <give her my love>2 : warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>
3 a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration <baseball was his first love> b (1) : a beloved person : DARLING -- often used as a term of endearment (2) British -- used as an informal term of address4 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others b : a person's adoration of God
5 : a god or personification of love
6 : an amorous episode : LOVE AFFAIR
7 : the sexual embrace : COPULATION
8 : a score of zero (as in tennis)
9 capitalized, Christian Science : GOD
- at love : holding one's opponent scoreless in tennis
- in love : inspired by affection

Hope that helps!

Hadia
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 3:10pm

Famous Quotes on Love, My favorite is in Red.

"The greatest science in the world; in heaven and on earth; is love."
Mother Teresa

"And think not you can guide the course of love. For love, if it finds you worthy, shall guide your course."
Kahil Gibran

"He who love touches walks not in darkness."
Plato

"We are shaped and fashioned by what we love."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world. "
Wayne Dyer

"Love is a given, hatred is acquired."
Doug Horton

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
The Bible-I Corinthians 13:4-8

"We need not think alike to love alike."
Francis David

"When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace."
The Dalai Lama

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it."
Rumi

"Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting."
William Shakespeare

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Jesus Christ

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 3:22pm

I was looking for the Virtue of Love when I found this text on the OCA Website. (Orthodox Church of America)  I really liked the breakdown.

Originally posted by OCA OCA wrote:

The first definition of love as agape is love as the action of perfect goodness for the sake of the other. This is the most basic meaning of love: to do everything possible for the well-being of others. God Himself has this love as the very content of His being and life, for "God is agape." It is with this love that spiritual per- sons must love first of all.

The second definition of love as eros is love for the sake of union with the other. Erotic love is no sin when it is free from sinful passions. It can be the utterly pure desire for communion with the other, including God. All spiritual writers have insisted that such love should exist between God and man as the pattern for all erotic love in the world between husband and wife. (See Sexuality, Marriage, and Family) Thus the mystical writers and spiritual fathers have used the Old Testament's Song of Songs as the poetic image of God's love for man and man's love for God. (Philo the Jew, Gregory of Nyssa, Bernard of Clairvaux, John of the Cross, Richard Rolle in England, et al.) Indeed the prophets have used the image of erotic love in explaining the Lord's relation with Israel. (Isaiah 54; Jeremiah 2-3,31; Ezekiel 16; Hosea) And Saint Paul uses this image for Christ's love of the Church. (Ephesians 6) In the scriptures, the union of man with the Lord in the Kingdom of God is primarily revealed in the image of eros. (Matthew 22, Revelation 19-22)

...for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His Bride has made herself ready; it was granted to her to be clothed with fine linen, bright and pure - for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. (Revelation 19:7-8)

"Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb." (Revelation 21:9)

The third type of love is friendship - phila. This also should exist between man and God. Man has no greater friend than God, and God Himself wants to be man's friend. According to the scriptures, the very purpose of the coming of Christ was to dispel all enmity between God and man, and to establish the co-working of Creator and creature in the fellowship of friendship.

Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. (Exodus 33:11)

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants (or slaves), for the servant does not know what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father, I have made known to you. (John 15: 13-15)

So it is that love as goodness, love as union, love as friendship are all to be found in God and man, between God and man, and between human beings. There is no form of true love which lays outside the realm of the spiritual life.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic