IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Love?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Love?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 7:07am

My first & last TRUE LOVE is for My Lord ALONE, my creater: Allah (SWT).

Amen.

*Islamic Girl*
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 4:49am
Originally posted by candid candid wrote:

whenever people talk of love, why is it always that they only talk about romantic love? Love can be between siblings, children and parents, too.

I agree with you Candid.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 12:22am
Considering the content of the first post, the the topic should be "What is romantic love?"
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 12:13am

your life is not a movie. I suggest living simple.

whenever people talk of love, why is it always that they only talk about romantic love? Love can be between siblings, children and parents, too.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 2:28pm

One of the things I remembered during college studying in part of aesthetic philosophy was 'love.' The Professor asked us what is it? Of course everyone in the class answered with ideas of course a couple answers were: "Love is compassion" or "Love is respect" I even heard the scientific view that "Love is the extreme emotion of desire." Whatever love is it appears that we all as individuals define it throughout our lives whether its with our loved one or with our spouses. I have personally myself experienced love as both giver and receiver however the latter was only a deception by the other individuals part. A sister in the women's section brought up the question: What is better, love or arranged marriage?

I heard a variety of answers and of course to another forum members convenience, she rearranges the question. However to answer such a question for face value which is more important? Of course as a philosopher I can answer it but as a man who has experienced both I can safely, and personally say that such a question depends on the individual. There is no straight forward answer. I as a Westerner abhore arrange marriages. I think this tradition does not teach personal choice and it is used to please others yet it is so fostered in tradition that children being arranged in marriages are in the sense forced to accept this reality.

If I were to weigh which of the two is more 'free' I'd say love. Love although in itself can mislead the individual provides a personal choice through the individual's desire whereas to be arranged to someone not by personal choice you have to adapt as well as "learn to love." Now I understand some women of various cultures don't like an outsiders point of view to this particular tradition that is why I say it here but I'm sure I haven't escaped from the wrath of others. I frankly believe that whether love or to be arranged to love is defined by people. It can be personally right or wrong and too much of one can be bad as well as too little.

Love if not sustained, can mislead us and allow us to overlook personal qualities that may be damaging in the future. However love can also allow us to fully expressed ourselves openly whereas before we would be so reluctant to do such. Love cannot be defined by an one person or any group and although it may be defined scientifically the true answers are always allusive because it changes from person to person. What say you O' Muslims?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic