IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Love?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Love?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Love?
    Posted: 12 June 2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Megatron Megatron wrote:

Love is just Nature/God's way to make sure that people reproduce with one another or in the case of children, it's a way to protect your progeny.  It's completely artificial and fake.

For those who say they 'love' God, I say do you really , 'love' God or do you 'love' the idea that an all powerful deity will provide you with paradise and spare you from Hell.

Human's are selfish both from a biological and spiritual perspective.  Love isn't real.   

I disagree..You shouldn't get procreation confused with love. One is instinctual and the other made with emotion (mainly in the Amygdala).

shoe ba View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoe ba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:38am

I really want to reply here, but I am not sure what to say...but here goes!

Love is undefinable, as you say, and doesn't have much to do with certain major details of living like paying bills.  But it kind of does too.  Why would you commit to solving major problems, like paying for things, if you didn't love the person you were doing this for?  Both partners, when they love each other, show it by doing things for one another and asking each others opinions about household matters and thinking of the other person when shopping or arranging furniture.  It all sounds so silly, but these are the actions of love.

rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 10:58pm
megatron i couldnt agree more. there is no such thing as love. its an idea that is conjured up in ones head. but its lack clear definition and has enslaved many people in the past. so much has been said about love, yet love is something that just makes no sense at all. love is blind, love hopes all things and belives all things...these are all meaningless words. bottom line is that love doesnt pay the bills, nor does love keep u company in the middle of the night. how many people claim to love you, yet their actions are contrary to their claims. love is just an over rated concept, which i steer clear of.
"so surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surah 94. verses 5 and 6
Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 10:52pm

Love is just Nature/God's way to make sure that people reproduce with one another or in the case of children, it's a way to protect your progeny.  It's completely artificial and fake.

For those who say they 'love' God, I say do you really , 'love' God or do you 'love' the idea that an all powerful deity will provide you with paradise and spare you from Hell.

Human's are selfish both from a biological and spiritual perspective.  Love isn't real.   

.:: SoHaIB ::. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .:: SoHaIB ::. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 1:31pm

Although they do say that

True love is desiring happiness for the person you love, even if you are not a part of that happiness.

.:: SoHaIB ::. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .:: SoHaIB ::. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 8:53am

Have only loved three things iin my life

AllAH ( SWT)

Prophet Muhammad ( PBUH)

My good Ol'Gramps ( HEs THE BEST!! )

Not really into romance and all that mushy stuff

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 4:54pm

There are many kinds of love.  What I am describing is romantic or emotional "love", which becomes something much more.  I believe many times we confuse "love" with infatuation.  Infatuation is that "oh my gosh, I've got to marry him/her or I'll just absolutely die" type of feeling.  After a period of time it dies down.  Even if we do marry this person we "just can't live without", we lose that immense passion we felt in the beginning of the relationship....and we're supposed to.  What happens is we enter into a much deeper emotion....the real, true, and everlasting feeling we have named "love".  We develope great respect and admiration for that person.  Putting their feelings above our own many times.  As time goes by in the land of true love, usually after we have been married for some time, we find great peace and happiness just being with that person, because now we have "bonded" and we are very much connected emotionally to one another.  This is how it is meant to be......and it's wonderful.  It's not now all about s-x....it's much deeper than that.  Once you really find it, you don't have to ask.....you know.

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Peace and Joy to All.

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2007 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by rookaiya rookaiya wrote:

does true love mean u have to be with the person forever, is it not possible to experience love that is true for only a brief time. what does true love have to do with the amount of time u spend with the person.

two people can live unhappily together for years making each other miserable, as opposed to 2 others who share a brief encounter. will the former be true love cos of the duration of time spent togther. i dont agree with that line of thinking.

First of all, I distinguish between love and 'romance'. Love is durable and commital. It is a responsibility(and its not just between romantic 'lovers' (if at all), it can be between siblings, parents and children or between friends).

Romance is fleeting and delusionary. Romance might mean challenging the world but it does not mean struggling against hardships.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic