IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why we Die  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why we Die

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why we Die
    Posted: 31 August 2006 at 4:56pm

Any discussion on this subject?

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Any discussion on this subject?

How about cellular mechanisms wear out and are unable to maintain homeostasis?

Although this is valid, I am making jest of course Br.

This is an extremely deep topic. What angle are you looking at this from?

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 9:31pm

Andalus,

In times like these in examining such a question I generally like to take the meaphysical approach. In my humble opion I look at death as in the breakdown of matter due to a contradiction of law i.e the immaterial immortal soul contained in a temporal and material form i.e. a physical body. Some religionist (and our co-religionist) believe that the soul is our "real" and for a better understanding in the Islamic concept that this physical form is but a shadow of absolute reality and that in order to come to a state of absolute reality there must be a transition of self from the physical world to the spiritual world. Unfortunately this transition involves death. But fortunately after death we cycle back to life which in this case is the hereafter. Well, what that is my thought but not like it matters here anyway

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Andalus,

In times like these in examining such a question I generally like to take the meaphysical approach. In my humble opion I look at death as in the breakdown of matter due to a contradiction of law i.e the immaterial immortal soul contained in a temporal and material form i.e. a physical body. Some religionist (and our co-religionist) believe that the soul is our "real" and for a better understanding in the Islamic concept that this physical form is but a shadow of absolute reality and that in order to come to a state of absolute reality there must be a transition of self from the physical world to the spiritual world. Unfortunately this transition involves death. But fortunately after death we cycle back to life which in this case is the hereafter. Well, what that is my thought but not like it matters here anyway

Your thoughts do count and are welcome Br.

It is late and I am out of time this evening.

ma'salaama

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 12:59am

To me death itself does not exist as I understand it from the Qur'an teaching. Our bodies and the trees and other animals are just the same thing, we are under the unstoppable entropy. By right we have been tought all along to drop the "I" before we die and we must give it up and die in the state of "WE". This method is acceptable and understandable to everyone, easy teaching. Clinging to "I" that is sitting in something that is dying is unreasonable.

Allahu Akhad is written in chapter 112, and Akhad means unit. Once we stop thinking our individual self as an independent lone being - than we will feel belong to the cosmos, one with the cosmos. There is no death in it.

I copy and paste below here what I can find from 4 different chapters, chapter 56 has something to think. 

Every soul will taste of death. And ye will be paid on the Day of Resurrection only that which ye have fairly earned. Whoso is removed from the Fire and is made to enter paradise, he indeed is triumphant.
The life of this world is but comfort of illusion.
(3:185)

Every soul must taste of death, and We try you with evil and with good, for ordeal. And unto Us ye will be returned. (21:35)

Every soul will taste of death. Then unto Us ye will be returned. (29:57)

We created you. Will ye then admit the truth? ( 56:57)
Have ye seen that which ye emit? (56:58)
Do ye create it or are We the Creator ? (56:59)
We mete out death among you, and We are not to be outrun, (56:60)
That We may transfigure you and make you what ye know not. (56:61)
And verily ye know the first creation. Why, then, do ye not reflect? (56:62)

Muhammad77 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammad77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:56am

On Death

Shaykh Abu Bilal Mustafa al-Kanadi

Mysteries of the Soul - Expounded

� 1994 Abul-Qasim Publishing House

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------

Allaah takes souls at the time of their death and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. [39:42]

Ibnul-Qayyim identifies over 90 supporting statements from the Quran, the Sunnah and sayings of the companions, which altogether give a complete picture of the nature of the human soul and the conditions which surround it.

If you could see when the worngdoers taste the pangs of death and the angels stretch their hands out, [saying], 'Deliver up your souls. This day you will be awarded a degrading punishment.' [6:93]

Here it is stated that death is painful for the disbelievers. Although they are ordered to surrender their souls to the angels, they are unwilling; therefore, the soul must be forced out as it does not wish to meet its punishment. [Qurtubi]

According to hadeeth: The Angel of Death... [says], 'O you foul soul, come out to the anger and wrath of your Lord.' The soul inside the disbeliever's body is overcome by terrible fear [and does not want to deliver itself up], whereupon the Angel of Death violently pulls it out like multi-pronged skewers being yanked out of wet wool - tearing with them the ateries and nerves.

Umm Salamah (radhiAllaahu 'anha) reported: Allaah's messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) entered upon Abu Salamah [i.e., his corpse], whose eyes were wide open. The prophet closed the lids and then said, 'When the ruh is taken out, the eyesight follows it [i.e., watches it ascend].' [Muslim & Ahmed]

The Angel of Death comes to the [dying] believer, sits at his head and says, 'O you good soul, come out and receive your Lord's forgiveness and pleasure.' Then the soul flows out effortlessly just as water flows from the mouth of a waterskin.

Abu Hurairah (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) narrated that the messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: When the soul of a believer comes out [of its body], two angels receive it and rise with it towards the heavens, whereupon the inhabitants of the heavens say, "A good soul has come from the earth. Allaah has blessed you and the body which you used to occupy." [Muslim]

The nafs and the ruh: The correct view, as maintained by the vast majority of Muslim theologians and endorsed by the scholars of ahl-us-Sunnah, is that the terms nafs and ruh are interchangeable. However, the term nafs is usually applied when the soul is inside the body, and the word ruh is used when the soul is aprt from the body. However, each one has clearly distinct and restricted applications in certain contexts. E.g., nafs may represent self as in 24:61, or revelation as in 42:52, or Jibreel as in 26:192-193, or in an even more restricted sense e.g., spirit of faith as in 58:22.

Hadeeths which prove that both are the same thing:

Umm Salamah (radhiAllaahu 'anha) reported that the messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: When the ruh is taken out, the eyesight follows it.

Abu Hurairah (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) reported that the messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: Do you not see that when a person dies his gaze is fixed intently; that occurs when his eyesight follows his nafs [as it comes out] [Both in Muslim & Qurtubi's at-Tadhkirah] Also see Siddeeq Hasan Khan's Fath-ul-Bayaan.

The experience of death: Every soul will taste death [3:185]

Hardships and agonies:

And the agony of death comes, in truth; that is what you wished to avoid. [50:19] In this verse the phrase "sakratul mawt" is used to indicate the swoon of death. This verse implies that every dying person must experience some pain and torment. [See al-Alusi's Ruh-ul-Ma'ani and Qurtubi's tafseer]

Aishah (radhiAllaahu 'anha) related: [On the occasion of his approaching death], Allaah's messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) had a small vessel of water placed before him. He began to dip his hands in the water,a nd wiping his face with them. He said: There is none worthy of worship except Allaah. Indeed death brings with it agonies! Then he raised his hand up and kept repeating, 'In the most exalted company' until his soul was taken and his hand fell limp. [Bukhari]

Aishah (radhiAllaahu 'anha) reported: Truly, I saw the messenger of Allaah when death approached him. He had a container with some water in it into which he dipped his hand and then wiped his face. Then he said: O Allaah help me to overcome the agonies of death.

Appearance of Satan:

Hadeeth: Verily Satan comes to you at all circumstances and affairs of your life, even at the time of eating. [Muslim]

Al-Qurtubi mentions that a great number of pious and dependable scholars are known to have witnessed the presence of Satan at death. He relates that he heard one of his own respected teachers, Imam Abul-'Abbaas Ahmad bin 'Umar al-Qurtubi, say, "I visited the brother of our teacher, shaikh Abu Jafar Muhammad al-Qurtubi at Cordova and found him near death. It was said to him, 'Repeat Laa ilaaha illallaah,', to which he replied, 'No! No!' When he came to, we mentioned what had occurred. He said, 'Tow devils came to me , one on my left and the other on my right. One of them said, "Die as a Jew, for verily it is the best of religions," while the other said, "Die as a Christian, for truly it is the best of religions." So I answered them saying, "No! No! How dare you say such a thing to me!"

Repentance before death:

Hadeeth: When any of you completes the last tashahhud of his prayer, let him seek refuge in Allaah from four things, saying, 'O Allaah, verily I seek refuge in you from the punishment of the Hellfire and the torment of the grave; from the fitnah of life and of death; and from the evil fitnah of the false messiah.[Muslim, Nasai & others]

Allaah accepts the repentance of the servant so long as his spirit has not arrived at his throat. [Tirmidhi, al-Haakim, Ibn Hibbaan]

Their faith was of no use to themonce they saw Our doom. [40:85]

Forgiveness is not for those who continue to do evil deeds up until when death comes to one of them [and] he says, 'Truly, I repent now!' [4:18]

superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Muhammad77 Muhammad77 wrote:

On Death

Thanks brother for the article, but sorry I did not read it. I promise I will read it if you type what you have in mind, I promise.

Allah coineth a similitude:
(on the one hand) a (mere) chattel slave, who hath control of nothing,
and (on the other hand) one on whom we have bestowed a fair provision from Us, and he spendeth thereof secretly and openly. Are they equal ?
Praise be to Allah! But most of them know not. (16:75)
Muhammad77 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammad77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by superme superme wrote:

Originally posted by Muhammad77 Muhammad77 wrote:

On Death

Thanks brother for the article, but sorry I did not read it. I promise I will read it if you type what you have in mind, I promise.

Allah coineth a similitude:
(on the one hand) a (mere) chattel slave, who hath control of nothing,
and (on the other hand) one on whom we have bestowed a fair provision from Us, and he spendeth thereof secretly and openly. Are they equal ?
Praise be to Allah! But most of them know not. (16:75)

Superme, the post which I posted is not of somebody's mind. It is not somebody's opinion. Do not take it as somebody's opinion. It is about what Islam talks of death. It is the truth, and that is how death shall come to every person. So read it.

Edited by Muhammad77
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic